Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 202

Thread: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

  1. #151
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,155

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    Missing from these lists:

    Simarik (kiss, kiss or muah, muah) - Tarkan
    Asereje (the ketchup song) - Las Ketchup
    Dragostea din tei (the numa numa song) - O-Zone
    Macarena - Los del Rio
    Mickey - Toni Basil
    Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus
    I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
    Rico Suave - Gerardo
    Copacabana - Barry Manilow
    Who let the dogs out - Baha Men

    to name a few of my favorites
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    Member SandyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Kenner , LA
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    I refuse to name a "Top 10 All Time." Just impossible.

    However, I'll name 10 songs I've recently heard that stand out for one reason or another. No particular order. And a few of them will likely bring laughs, which is ok.


    Muscrat Ramble-Louis Armstrong.

    St James Infirmary—Dr John, Louis Armstrong, Van Morrison, among others. I think I have half a dozen versions of this song on CD.

    Iko Iko—any of many versions

    Homeward Bound—Simon and Garfunkel I guess this is going to be my tribute to the music of my youth.

    I Shall Not Be Moved – Johnny Cash -- I’m going thru a Gospel phase right now.

    Raglan Road – Van Morrison. Well, Alfred, really. He sings that often with Danny O’Flaherty, and does a really good job.

    Mr. Blue Sky – ELO – I’m going to be bold and add this one. High Energy. If not that, then “Good Morning” from “Singing in the Rain.”

    I'm going to use the last three to name three songs that are kind of haunting me right now. You may or may not have heard them, so I'll add some lyrics.

    Accustomed to the Dark—Theresa Andersson

    Chorus:
    Silent Night, Lonely Night
    Haunted by your Fading Light.
    Scarlet Moon, Starlit Sky.
    I guess I’ll have to find my way by heart
    Til I can grow Accustomed to the Dark
    The Locket – Jed Marum. This one is about the artists experience visiting with his mother who has Alzheimer's

    Tho the end gets closer every day
    Memory and reason slip away
    And I wonder does she know me.
    Does she know my name today?
    And does it really matter anyway?
    Lorraine’s Song – I think I like Grayson Capp’s version better than Theresa Andersson’s, but they’re both good. Now, if you google the lyrics, you get the lyrics to a different song.

    Yesterday I had a dream
    that I could fly
    through the sky …

    Then I woke up in a sweat
    not dead yet
    but on the ground.

    I’m up in Johnson City Tennessee
    looking for the “we” in me.
    Lord, fly me o’er the Pontchartrain
    back to the land of sugar cane
    and summer rain.

    A little girl was early told
    Life was time, and time was gold.
    She took a little every day
    ‘Til it went away, and she was old.

    Then she cried ‘cause her gold was gone.
    She cried ‘cause she was all alone.
    Now she’s calling to you in the dark
    Just a haunted, lonely heart --- lonely heart.

    She cried “Never more shall we part.”
    She cried “Never more shall we part.”

    All those words I never said
    Gently bled from my mouth.
    And I am ready to embrace
    This place where I belong.
    I’m afraid but I need to love.
    If I don’t, I’m gonna flood.
    And I’m calling to you in the dark
    Crying never more shall we part.

    She cried “never more shall we part.
    She cried “never more shall we part.
    She cried “never more shall we part.
    Now, I don't listen to much music on the radio, and haven't in years ... decades, really.

  4. #153
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,619

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That is an excellent song. I haven't heard it in years. Another of his that I really liked was "Teacher I Need You". I really liked "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player" and "Honky Chateau".
    I'm pretty sure I could have made a whole top ten list from nothing but 30+ year old Elton John songs, and I would have liked that list about as much as the one I made.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  5. #154
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    [QUOTE=vaticanplum;1247808]
    Marquee Moon - Television
    Lush Life - Johnny Hartman/John Coltrane
    Hey - Pixies
    The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
    Foolish Love - Rufus Wainwright
    Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
    A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke
    This Will Be Our Year - Zombies
    The Oogum Boogum Song - Brenton Wood
    I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues - Elton John
    At the Chime of a City Clock - Nick Drake
    Let's Go Out Tonight - John Lee Hooker
    Barely Legal - The Strokes
    I Only Have Eyes for You - The Flamingoes
    She Fell Into My Arms - Ed Harcourt
    Subterranean Homesick Alien - Radiohead
    [QUOTE]

    good song -

    Stay indoors
    Beneath the floors
    Talk with neighbours only.
    The games you play
    Make people say
    You're either weird or lonely.
    A city star
    Won't shine too far
    On account of the way you are
    And the beads
    Around your face
    Make you sure to fit back in place.

  6. #155
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,792

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    David and David - Welcome to the Boomtown
    A forgotten classic from the mid-80's. I think I wore out that tape rewinding and replaying that song.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  7. #156
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,671

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    I mentioned this song earlier, but I really am hooked on Alvin Lee's "I Want To Change The World". The lyrics say so much of the turbulent 60's....

    Everywhere is freaks and hairies
    Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity
    Tax the rich, feed the poor
    Till there are no rich no more

    I'd love to change the world
    But I don't know what to do
    So I'll leave it up to you

    Population keeps on breeding
    Nation bleeding, still more feeding economy
    Life is funny, skies are sunny
    Bees make honey, who needs money, Monopoly

    I'd love to change the world
    But I don't know what to do
    So I'll leave it up to you

    World pollution, there's no solution
    Institution, electrocution
    Just black and white, rich or poor
    Them and us, stop the war

    I'd love to change the world
    But I don't know what to do
    So I'll leave it up to you
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  8. #157
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,825

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    For George Harrison's Birthday (I know this is not really in the spirit of this thread)

    1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    2. I Need You
    3. Something
    4. Here Comes the Sun
    5. Taxman
    6. For You Blue
    7. All Those Years Ago
    8. Savoy Truffle
    9. Think For Yourself
    10. If I Needed Someone

  9. #158
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,193

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    good song -

    Stay indoors
    Beneath the floors
    Talk with neighbours only.
    The games you play
    Make people say
    You're either weird or lonely.
    A city star
    Won't shine too far
    On account of the way you are
    And the beads
    Around your face
    Make you sure to fit back in place.
    I read an article years ago comparing Nick Drake's lyrics to William Blake (one of my three favorite writers ever), and it's always stayed with me. The line almost right after what you quote there -- "For the sound of a busy place is fine for a pretty face/Who knows what a face is for?" -- is, to me, about as perfect as a lyric gets. I've tended toward the superlative on this thread but I really have always said that about that particular line.

    I had a hard enough time picking my ten favorite songs (obviously), but if the choice had been one, it would have been simple for me and this song would have been it. It has absolutely everything that knocks me out wrapped up into a song when I break it down: descending chords, standard melodic structure, key changes, natural imagery, beautiful guitar playing and general musicianship, lush production, prevelant but not bombastic strings, and a freaking SAX SOLO for crying out loud. It's so classic in a way, but not at all obvious -- a song with the word "chime" in the title contains not a chime anywhere. It sounds like what it is without saying what it is, if that makes sense. It's almost creepy how tailor-made this song is to my own taste. And yet it really shouldn't be broken down; it's an absolutely perfect song all put together.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  10. #159
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,671

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    For George Harrison's Birthday (I know this is not really in the spirit of this thread)

    1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    2. I Need You
    3. Something
    4. Here Comes the Sun
    5. Taxman
    6. For You Blue
    7. All Those Years Ago
    8. Savoy Truffle
    9. Think For Yourself
    10. If I Needed Someone
    Gotta add "What Is Life?" and "All Things Must Pass"
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  11. #160
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    How could I forget:

    2Pac - Dear Mama


    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  12. #161
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Gotta add "What Is Life?" and "All Things Must Pass"
    Two great songs, I would add My,Me,Mine and Isnt it a pity.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  13. #162
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,979

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I read an article years ago comparing Nick Drake's lyrics to William Blake (one of my three favorite writers ever), and it's always stayed with me. The line almost right after what you quote there -- "For the sound of a busy place is fine for a pretty face/Who knows what a face is for?" -- is, to me, about as perfect as a lyric gets. I've tended toward the superlative on this thread but I really have always said that about that particular line.

    I had a hard enough time picking my ten favorite songs (obviously), but if the choice had been one, it would have been simple for me and this song would have been it. It has absolutely everything that knocks me out wrapped up into a song when I break it down: descending chords, standard melodic structure, key changes, natural imagery, beautiful guitar playing and general musicianship, lush production, prevelant but not bombastic strings, and a freaking SAX SOLO for crying out loud. It's so classic in a way, but not at all obvious -- a song with the word "chime" in the title contains not a chime anywhere. It sounds like what it is without saying what it is, if that makes sense. It's almost creepy how tailor-made this song is to my own taste. And yet it really shouldn't be broken down; it's an absolutely perfect song all put together.
    I've felt you are a cross between Enitharmon and Los.

    Contrary energies.

    (I think Drake was reading a lot of William Cowper--not Blake--in my opinion).

  14. #163
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,193

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I've felt you are a cross between Enitharmon and Los.

    Contrary energies.

    (I think Drake was reading a lot of William Cowper--not Blake--in my opinion).
    Hmm...I will have to chew on that for a while. I'm actually not familiar with Cowper apart from knowing that he was a naturalist (maybe not in the literal sense, I don't know, but in the sense that he wrote about nature) so I will find some stuff and chew on that too.

    I love Nick Drake as a lyricist and a guitarist. I go through phases of really being affected by his music and not, but the words and the music always slay me on a level of sheer respect.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  15. #164
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,979

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Hmm...I will have to chew on that for a while. I'm actually not familiar with Cowper apart from knowing that he was a naturalist (maybe not in the literal sense, I don't know, but in the sense that he wrote about nature) so I will find some stuff and chew on that too.

    I love Nick Drake as a lyricist and a guitarist. I go through phases of really being affected by his music and not, but the words and the music always slay me on a level of sheer respect.
    I'm sorry, the first part of my note is something of a geek-goof. I don't really think you are a cross between Blakean forces. I'm just bein' an arse.

    But I am actually somewhat serious about the Cowper thing: "Harvest Breed" seems sprung straight from the depressive old head of my hero William Cowper.

  16. #165
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,193

    Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm sorry, the first part of my note is something of a geek-goof. I don't really think you are a cross between Blakean forces. I'm just bein' an arse.

    But I am actually somewhat serious about the Cowper thing: "Harvest Breed" seems sprung straight from the depressive old head of my hero William Cowper.
    : I don't get poet humor.

    I actuall found the article I was talking about (thanks wikipedia). It's waaaaay longer than I remember, so anyone who's interested will need some time, but it's a great read:

    http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/exiled1.html
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25