Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Year for Lohse?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good Year for Lohse?

A discussion over in the other forum got me interested in discussing Lohse, but I can't post over there, so I thought I'd ask you all what you thought about Pole's strategy in helping Lohse have his "breakout" year. He wants Lohse to stick with just a few pitches and "simplify things." What do you all think - is there any merit in that argument? Could an approach like this really help him find success this year?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...302200068/1071

Re: Good Year for Lohse?

It's all about making better pitches. Whatever it takes to accomplish that will do. Certainly seems to be more art than science. Stuff is not Lohse's problem.

The Reds are trying to limit the number of different pitches Lohse uses. He throws a fastball, changeup, slider and curve. Right now, the plan is go fastball-change-slider with an occasional curve mixed in. “That’s our aim,” Pole said. “It kind of simplifies things.”
    That Dick Pole is brilliant! "Do the exact same thing you've always done and act like you're changing so we can turn it into a riveting news story."

lol

It makes sense if Lohse's curve ball isn't all that great. I have no idea how good each of his pitches are though.

IF he can keep his composure pitch like he did a couple of years ago...look out.

Quote Originally Posted by Krash View Post
    IF he can keep his composure pitch like he did a couple of years ago...look out.
    Lets get real for a moment.... Lohse's troubles have little to due with composure. He's a tee for lefties and he has no endurance. Basically his curveball is effective against righties (when its on) and he can throw a nothing special fastball in the low 90's for strikes.

This isn't a guy needing the right pitching coach or a magic message from the dalai lama... He basically is what he is....a back end guy that looks good when hitters help him a bit. He's nothing special but good enough to be somewhere between back end fodder and league average.

He just looks like he ought to be good....but hey so does fruitcake.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

He's a tee for lefties and he has no endurance. Basically his curveball is effective against righties (when its on) and he can throw a nothing special fastball in the low 90's for strikes.
    He might have the best stuff on the staff pre-Homer Bailey and you talk about him like he's Kirk Saarloos.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    He might have the best stuff on the staff pre-Homer Bailey and you talk about him like he's Kirk Saarloos.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess....he's got a very good curve against righthanded hitters....thats about it...
    Last edited by jojo; 02-23-2007 at 11:39 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Lets get real for a moment.... Lohse's troubles have little to due with composure. He's a tee for lefties and he has no endurance. Basically his curveball is effective against righties (when its on) and he can throw a nothing special fastball in the low 90's for strikes.

This isn't a guy needing the right pitching coach or a magic message from the dalai lama... He basically is what he is....a back end guy that looks good when hitters help him a bit. He's nothing special but good enough to be somewhere between back end fodder and league average.

He just looks like he ought to be good....but hey so does fruitcake.
    Right...lack of composure had nothing to do with him trying to throw a chair thru his manager's office in Minnesota. I guess that's what I was getting at.

On the brink of disaster

I don't know why, but Lohse strikes me as one of those who can be "effectively wild". He doesn't seem to have great control, but if he gets the movement on his pitches that he is capable of he doesn't have to have pin point control. I hate the phrase effectively wild, but it just seems the best way to explain him.

I've been pretty critical of Lohse this winter and I think he has nothing in his track record to suggest success in 2007. If his troubles can be traced to 1 sub-par pitch that is way inferior to the others, then eliminating that pitch should help.

I hope it works and proves me wrong.

Hmm. Don't throw pitches you aren't very good at ... that might be just crazy enough to work!

Quote Originally Posted by danwl View Post
    Hmm. Don't throw pitches you aren't very good at ... that might be just crazy enough to work!
    Pure genious huh?

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Pure genious huh?
    BRILLIANT!

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    I don't know why, but Lohse strikes me as one of those who can be "effectively wild". He doesn't seem to have great control, but if he gets the movement on his pitches that he is capable of he doesn't have to have pin point control. I hate the phrase effectively wild, but it just seems the best way to explain him.
    That is a good way to point say it. Pitchers like that scare the hitter esp when you can bring it like Lohse can. He is an interesting case this year because he has shown signs throughout his career of being a good pitcher but never has put it all together. He is on a contract year so I would bet that you see an improves Lohse this year.

Turn Off Ads?