Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FCC to Investigate MLB/DirectTV deal

FCC to Investigate MLB/DirectTV deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2775761Just saw this on ESPN. Sen Kerry asked for the investigation and FCC concured.
    Last edited by Crosley68; 02-22-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    Let's play two!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: FCC to Investigate MLB/DirectTV deal

He was against an investigation before he was for it.

:

Better to get it right in the end, dont you think?

Anyway, I know a lot of people on here were very upset at the plans. Maybe a letter from a Redszoner had an impact, I know a few said they would write one.
    Last edited by Crosley68; 02-22-2007 at 08:57 PM.
    Let's play two!!!

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I wouldn't mind it so much if I were able to have satellite TV. My landlord would not allow a dish anywhere on the property.

I'm just glad I live back in Cincinnati again. These last two years away I could not watch very many games at all.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I don't subscribe to the MLB package; but I heard that the only way one can get it, now that this deal went down, is by being a Directv customer. Your local cable company can no longer carry it. Is that right?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't subscribe to the MLB package; but I heard that the only way one can get it, now that this deal went down, is by being a Directv customer. Your local cable company can no longer carry it. Is that right?
    Yes. And you would also have to buy the Power Pack.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Love it. Would love to see Bud before congress again like the town drunk: "Mr. Selig, I'm getting tired of seeing you here..."
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Guys this is great--if there's an open FCC investigation, I'm pretty sure MLB won't be able to do the DirecTv deal this year at least.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That is right if the deal goes through. The deal with Direct TV has never officially been announced. It has been rumored to be close for about a month but for some reason MLB and Directv have not even announced the deal.

I am so happy to see this happen. I didn't even really care much personally as I have DirecTV, but listened to Selig a week or so on Mike and Mike, and it was just maddening. Basically his response was, it's not official, but it will happen. Then he went on for quite a while, with the basic theme being, not that many people are affected, this isn't a big deal, and I know what I'm doing and all these people complaining are whining, and tough. Without saying it directly, it almost seemed like he was saying that all these cable customers losing out are technically in markets where they could just switch to DirecTV, and that is why he thinks few are affected. That is what really ticked me off, just so shortsighted and condascending.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Nothing will come of it because if they mess with this deal then they have to look at the NFL Ticket as well and that won't happen because they haven't got the stones to screw with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Redny View Post
    Nothing will come of it because if they mess with this deal then they have to look at the NFL Ticket as well and that won't happen because they haven't got the stones to screw with them.
    I thought they were already looking into the NFL Ticket.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

This is just politicians getting air time. Exclusive distribution rights for a product are sold all the time....
    "Is there a problem officers?"

I really fail to see what the FCC can do here other than bring public pressure.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

This is another example, IMHO, of MLB hierarchy "disrespecting" their fans when it comes to accessibility of their "product". They could give a hoot when it comes down to the dollar sign.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?