Turn Off Ads?

Thread: City Beat: Is this the final year for The Cincinnati Post?

City Beat: Is this the final year for The Cincinnati Post?

Here's a link to this week's City Beat. They have five articles about the possible demise of the Post when the 30 year Joint Operating Agreement (JOA) with the Enquirer ends. It's believed that the Enquirer will not agree to it after this.

These articles (this link is to the first, the others can be reached from a box to the right which says Also In This Issue) tell the nearly 130 year story of the Post, its style down through the years and the many, many journalists who have come through it's ranks.

When I first moved out on my own, I subscribed to the Post, which I could read in the evening when I got home from work. I preferred it over the more conservative Enquirer, but my reading now is more in the morning.

These are some great stories about a great newspaper. I hope something works out. I'd love to see them find a way to print seperately from the Enquirer and compete in the morning. Great read.

http://www.citybeat.com/2007-02-21/cover.shtml

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: City Beat: Is this the final year for The Cincinnati Post?

I found this series to be one of the best written in City Beat, much of it written by former Post staffers (some of whom write for City Beat now), a testament to the great staffers the paper's had over the years.

Great article, my favorite part is where the Post is referred to as "scrappier"

Go Gators!

I'm going to miss the Post. I found it extremely interesting getting an afternoon paper when I lived in Cincinnati. I don't read the Enquirer at all. (Sorry Rosie)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I'm going to miss the Post. I found it extremely interesting getting an afternoon paper when I lived in Cincinnati. I don't read the Enquirer at all. (Sorry Rosie)
    I'd switch from the Enquirer in a minute if the Post published in the morning (something the JOA never allowed). I'm so tired of the lousy delivery service we get on the Enquirer and I can't get anyone there to care.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I didn't read the article, but in my 4 decades-plus on the planet, I've lived in two 2-newspaper towns that became 1-newspaper towns when a JOA expired. Some of the biggest newspapers in the country are treading water these days, because the people who've been on the planet for fewer decades than I have mostly get their news from the Net. In that business climate, it's hard to envision a scenario for setting up a brand-new separate operation for a daily newspaper.

In other words, it doesn't look good for the Post. Enjoy your afternoon paper while you can get it.
    /r/reds

I would subscribe to the Post in a heartbeat if I could get it. The fact that they don't deliver to Butler county is frustrating--I live less than 1 mile from the Hamilton County line! It's sad to see them go, but limiting their delivery to one county only really limits their subscriber base.

I delivered the Post when I was a kid.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The neighbor kid behind us delivered our Post and, God bless him, he was the pokiest newspaper carrier I'd ever seen. Since our house and our neighbor's houses were the last on his route, he'd take two hours to get around to us around 6:30 or so. His house was literally behind both of our houses. I finally called him and asked him to walk out his back door with the papers as he started the route, toss two over the back fence and head on out. I never could get him to do. Yikes!

These days, you've got to find your niche online. My wife and I get most of our news either through the internet or by watching the 11:00 pm news (for the local stuff and tomorrow's weather forecast). Even sticking with weekend delivery we couldn't find the time to sit down and read it, and the papers just kept piling up. It was just wasteful to have the paper go straight from the plastic bag to the recycle bin. I can pretty much get the same info from the Akron Beacon-Journal at their website, www.ohio.com.

The only place I can see newspapers having a chance are places like NYC or Chicago, which have great public transportation. At least in Chicago you could grab the Sun-Times (specially designed for reading while standing) on your way to the El for some reading material on your morning commute.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I love reading the paper every day but I usually read it at lunch, not in the morning. I usually just grab a granola bar on the way to class so I don't eat breakfast but I always try to eat lunch by myself to have a little time to wind down from the stress of class and get caught up with news.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I didn't read the article, but in my 4 decades-plus on the planet, I've lived in two 2-newspaper towns that became 1-newspaper towns when a JOA expired. Some of the biggest newspapers in the country are treading water these days, because the people who've been on the planet for fewer decades than I have mostly get their news from the Net. In that business climate, it's hard to envision a scenario for setting up a brand-new separate operation for a daily newspaper.

In other words, it doesn't look good for the Post. Enjoy your afternoon paper while you can get it.
    Afternoon papers were on the decline WAY before the 'net became a factor. TV and Cable being the main competion.

As for morning papers, the trend is focus on local news rather than national or international, since the Internet hasn't quite made it into that niche yet.

You can be as nostalgic as you please, but this is a sign of the times.

What it isn't IMO (although I'm not familiar with the Cincinnati press) is a conspiracy.

So quotes such as these:

At the beginning of the 1990s, The Post had a daily circulation of about 100,000 copies. By decade's end, that had dropped to about 40,000.

"You simply don't drive down circulation by almost 75 percent in a decade just due to market forces," Horstman says. "You have to suspect it was by design, to some degree."
    are simply not well-informed.

BTW, a circulation of 40,000 is NOTHING for a newspaper (even a local one). I'm surprised this lasted this long.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Pedro - you still have the best arm in the neighborhood!

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

All I hope is they move c.trent over to the enquirer. Even in the short time he has been writing he is more informative than the Enquirer writer.

I only read the REDS stuff on the net.

Here in Sydney we went through the same thing years ago where two competitors had a morning and evening paper. Now they each have a morning paper only. This in a city of 5 million +. Supposedly its getting even worse as less and less advertisers are putting their ads into the print media. I don't know if they are doing it in the states but a lot of newspapers here supplement their advertising revenue by including leaflets that would usually be home delivered as junk mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Pedro - you still have the best arm in the neighborhood!

I wish.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?