Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto impresses...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto impresses...

Here's the part about Votto.

Yesterday Jerry Narron was really impressed with Joey Votto:
    "I know this, he was impressive (Thursday) in that live BP. He was hitting off of Brian Meadows and I believe he hit the ball out of the ballpark everywhere — left, right, center, everywhere. That’s just batting practice, but to be able to hit the ball the other way out of the ballpark shows you he has the ability to hit a little bit."

On the blog, he talks about the stories he's doing for tomorrow, including one about David Ross. He quotes Jerry Narron about Ross catching Harrang and how good Harrang is. Narron recalled his own past

"Aaron Harang is good enough that I should be able to catch him. It goes back to the first time I caught Catfish Hunter. He said, ‘I’m going to throw every pitch you call for and if I don’t like it, I’ll throw it so they can’t hit it.’ Aaron Harang has that kind of stuff."

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Here's the part about Votto.

Yesterday Jerry Narron was really impressed with Joey Votto:
    "I know this, he was impressive (Thursday) in that live BP. He was hitting off of Brian Meadows and I believe he hit the ball out of the ballpark everywhere — left, right, center, everywhere. That’s just batting practice, but to be able to hit the ball the other way out of the ballpark shows you he has the ability to hit a little bit."
    I hope this is more of an indicator of Votto's ability than it is of Meadows'.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Let's hope he impresses enough to make one of Hatteberg and Conine expendable at some point this season. I really think that Hatteberg could bring something at the trade deadline.

I am really loving what Trent Rosencrans is bringing to the blog, exactly the kind of "this is what I'm seeing" stuff that desperate fans like, well, pretty much all of us, live for.

His latest snippet is on Homer Bailey:

All I know is this, I don't want to have to face Homer Bailey.

I was just standing in the cage watching the Reds' prized prospect throw live batting practice and the first pitch I stood in there for was a fastball than ran in on Alex Gonzalez. Not only did Gonzalez jump, so did I -- twice. First from the ball being to close for my comfort (even with the cage between us) and then from the sound it made after hitting Chad Moeller's mitt.

I wasn't there for all of Homer's session, but the bit I was there for, not too much was being hit.

Mmmm, tasty.

Fwiw, I am not sure why this was moved to the minors section. It's likely Votto ends up in AAA, but he is also vying for a spot in the majors this spring, as is Bailey. Why isn't that in general chatter?

In my opinion, Votto is underrated.

I have a feeling that Votto will play well enough this spring to make the team but the reds will send him down to AAA because they have two veteran players slotted in at 1b. And we all know how much Narron loves his veterans.

I agree bucksfan, but until that happens, it seems like that is "Reds talk", not "minors talk".

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have a feeling that Votto will play well enough this spring to make the team but the reds will send him down to AAA because they have two veteran players slotted in at 1b. And we all know how much Narron loves his veterans.
    I think it's highly likely that he too starts in Louisville just like Homer. Again, I think this is this regime's philosophy - step by step. I do agree with the earlier poster who thought maybe Votto will be up this year and the Reds move either Conine and Hatteberg. I this they're right that Hat has the higher ceiling and can bring something in a trade. I'm fine with Conine as a back up/mentor for Votto if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I am really loving what Trent Rosencrans is bringing to the blog, exactly the kind of "this is what I'm seeing" stuff that desperate fans like, well, pretty much all of us, live for.

His latest snippet is on Homer Bailey:

All I know is this, I don't want to have to face Homer Bailey.

I was just standing in the cage watching the Reds' prized prospect throw live batting practice and the first pitch I stood in there for was a fastball than ran in on Alex Gonzalez. Not only did Gonzalez jump, so did I -- twice. First from the ball being to close for my comfort (even with the cage between us) and then from the sound it made after hitting Chad Moeller's mitt.

I wasn't there for all of Homer's session, but the bit I was there for, not too much was being hit.

Mmmm, tasty.
    The only good part I am reading here is that Bailey's arm isn't injured........................................... .................. yet

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Most of us would have similar success vs. Brian Meadows

Ya can't teach speed...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Most of us would have similar success vs. Brian Meadows
    See...now there is a perfect example of why we should be careful about how we criticize the players. If any of us could hit anything off Brian Meadows, let along numerous dingers, we wouldn't be sitting here debating it, we'd be on the field in Sarasota.
    Last edited by Triples; 02-23-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: misplaced word

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    The only good part I am reading here is that Bailey's arm isn't injured........................................... .................. yet
    You lost me on this one, are you wanting Homer to get hurt. Im not aware of him having an injury history up to this point so im guessing this is just.....well I don't know what this is.:thumbdown

Turn Off Ads?