Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Considering 11-man staff.

Reds Considering 11-man staff.

02/23/2007 2:30 PM ET
    Notes: Reds tinker with 11-man staff
    Narron may use fewer than 12 pitchers this season
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The question was about depth and versatility on his bench. The answer offered up a bit of intrigue regarding the pitching staff.
    Reds manager Jerry Narron was asked if having several players able to play multiple positions was helpful. This was the answer:

"It helps a great deal and it may even help at some point that we can go with 11 pitchers instead of 12," Narron said. "I know that everybody thinks we're going to carry 12, and it probably looks that way. But if we can keep as many versatile guys as we can, maybe we can possibly go to 11."

There are 29 pitchers in Reds camp, and precious few open jobs on the staff. Narron realized he might have spoiled breakfast for some of them.

"If you write that, there could be some very nervous pitchers," Narron said.

It'd seem more plausible that carrying versatile bench players would allow a manager to carry an extra pitcher. But during a season, it's no secret that Narron likes to twist and manipulate his 25-man roster more than a bendy-straw in a cup of chocolate milk.

Reserve players know they'll have to keep more than one type of glove in their locker and multiple positions on his resume.

"We want to keep as many guys as versatile as possible," Narron said.

Ryan Freel, Juan Castro and Mark Bellhorn can play at least four positions. In the outfield, Freel, Chris Denorfia, Bubba Crosby, Norris Hopper and Josh Hamilton can play all three spots. Jeff Conine can play both corner spots.

How many pitchers are carried will depend a lot on whether the Reds keep Hamilton, a Rule 5 Draft pick and long shot in camp. Hamilton, who is trying to come back from an almost four-year layoff, must stay on the 25-man roster all season.

Another factor is if the Reds opt to carry three catchers and take veteran Chad Moeller north.
    My first thought without really letting the info in this article sink in was Josh Hamilton is making this team no matter what he does this spring.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Considering 11-man staff.

I see it more as a way to carry that 3rd catcher. Bring on that Moeller fella, he be real goooood.

I'm all for an 11-man staff. I'd prefer 10, but 11 would at least be a step in the right direction. Rarely can you find a seventh reliever who's anything but a disaster. I'd much rather see the team carry an extra player.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm all for an 11-man staff. I'd prefer 10, but 11 would at least be a step in the right direction. Rarely can you find a seventh reliever who's anything but a disaster. I'd much rather see the team carry an extra player.
    Just off the top of my head, if they went with the 11 man staff, wouldn't that allow them to carry Hamilton + an additional bench guy? This is in contrast to a 12 man staff and only Hamilton. As much as it would be a feal good story, I just don't think they should count on Hamilton for much.

And as far as Moeller goes......BARF. I can't want to hear the posturing to explain that move if he were to come north.

11 pitchers and 2 catchers, and a real bench would be nice
    Go Gators!

Yeah, thta'll last till March 4th when Jerry runs out of pitchers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I just can't see only 11 pitchers. The bullpen has been overworked with 7 relievers, can you imagine how burned out they'd be with only 6?

12 pitchers and 2 catchers and Josh Hamilton.

I agree with M2 - that seventh bullpen guy sucks eggs. But, it's nice to throw the sucky guy out there when Lohse and Milton get tagged like deers on the first day of gun season.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I agree with M2 - that seventh bullpen guy sucks eggs.
    If you look at the Reds candidates there is a chance the #7 guy could be as good as the #1 guy in the pen(whoever that may be).

Hmmm...could this mean that we see Hamilton on the mound at some point in a take-one-for-the-team situation?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Just off the top of my head, if they went with the 11 man staff, wouldn't that allow them to carry Hamilton + an additional bench guy? This is in contrast to a 12 man staff and only Hamilton. As much as it would be a feal good story, I just don't think they should count on Hamilton for much.

And as far as Moeller goes......BARF. I can't want to hear the posturing to explain that move if he were to come north.
    Well, obviously I'd like the extra player to be better than a third catcher or a non-entity. It would be nice if a guy like Hopper could play his way into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, obviously I'd like the extra player to be better than a third catcher or a non-entity. It would be nice if a guy like Hopper could play his way into the mix.
    I know Hopper's numbers are nothing special, but I liked what I saw of him last year. Maybe he can figure out a way to be a usefull utility outfield/PH guy?

For a Level Playing Field

REDS
    Year: Starters % IP ; Bullpen % IP
    2003: 61.0% ; 39.0%
    2004: 62.7% ; 37.3%
    2005: 64.1% ; 35.9%
    2006: 67.5% ; 32.5%

12th man in the bullpen? Perhaps if the above-trend continues it can allow for one less man in the bullpen and an extra bat (one that preferably can hit) on the bench. Helps having inning eaters like Arroyo & Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I see it more as a way to carry that 3rd catcher. Bring on that Moeller fella, he be real goooood.
    I don't think so. I think Chad's gonna see a lot of Louisville this summer.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I know Hopper's numbers are nothing special, but I liked what I saw of him last year. Maybe he can figure out a way to be a usefull utility outfield/PH guy?
    If he can hit .280+, figure out how to take a walk every now and then, hold his own in the field and provide some working speed on the bases, he'd be a useful fellow on the bench.

Turn Off Ads?