Turn Off Ads?

Thread: BA Top 100 list; Johnny Cueto just missed making it

BA Top 100 list; Johnny Cueto just missed making it

I stole this off of another message board I frequent, but it is pretty Reds related from a BA chat recently.
    With the Top 100 Prospects about to go live next week, could you tell us who just barely missed? Say, from Nos. 101-110?

J.P. Schwartz
    Springfield, Ill.

Jim Callis: We have sent the Top 100 issue to the printer, and the list will go up on the website next Thursday. But I'll get some message boards revved up by answering this question as a sneak preview.

When we put the Top 100 together, we don't rank them in a definitive order beyond that. But I can reveal the players who came closest to making the cut.

There were four players who were on the list at various times, and just missed out: Reds righthander Johnny Cueto, Phillies righthander Kyle Drabek, Devil Rays third baseman Akinori Iwamura and Giants third baseman Angel Villalona. Iwamura will have a better big league career than at least a few Top 100 guys, because he'll be in Tampa Bay's lineup on Opening Day, but we opted for prospects with higher ceilings. On the other hand, Drabek and Villalona have huge ceilings but have proven next to nothing yet. Cueto falls in between, as he's a little guy with a big arm who hasn't gotten past high Class A.
    That makes me feel pretty good about him. On a few other sites, I made some arguements about Cueto deserving at least consideration in the 95-110 range, and now I feel pretty confident that I pegged him in the right area.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA Top 100 list; Johnny Cueto just missed making it

That clinches Stubbs not hitting the back end of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I stole this off of another message board I frequent, but it is pretty Reds related from a BA chat recently.

That makes me feel pretty good about him. On a few other sites, I made some arguements about Cueto deserving at least consideration in the 95-110 range, and now I feel pretty confident that I pegged him in the right area.
    With Iwamura being mentioned it looks like the Japanese veterans are fair game. Daisuke and Igawa probably pushed Cueto off. Since they are sure major leaguers, I'm going to consider Cueto a top 100 guy.

Thats fine by me. He doesn't deserve to. Cueto and Wood are both better prospects than him in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    With Iwamura being mentioned it looks like the Japanese veterans are fair game. Daisuke and Igawa probably pushed Cueto off. Since they are sure major leaguers, I'm going to consider Cueto a top 100 guy.
    So do the guys at projectprospect.com, although I may have had a hand in convincing them of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thats fine by me. He doesn't deserve to. Cueto and Wood are both better prospects than him in my mind.
    Agreed...here's a question for discussion. What's the feeling on Cueto's age? Has it been confirmed? I haven't seen the subject brought up before.

I guess as far as we know his age is legit. I would imagine that he wouldnt have gotten into the country if it weren't at least passable as legit. After 9/11 restrictions on getting into the country tightened up and a lot of people began aging. I guess until someone comes up with something otherwise, we need to take him for being 21.

Who was that pitcher for Oakland a couple years ago that was revealed as being like 3 years older with an entirely different name? Maybe Cueto's like 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Who was that pitcher for Oakland a couple years ago that was revealed as being like 3 years older with an entirely different name? Maybe Cueto's like 30.
    Santiago Casilla. Can't remember what he used to call himself.

Edit: It was Jairo Garcia

Cueto is definitely in my top 100. I would rate Bailey in the top three, Jay Bruce in the 7-10 range, Joey Votto in the 25-30 range, and Cueto in the 85-95 range. Travis Wood around 120. I think both Cueto and Wood should be higher than that but I'm trying to stay reasonable here and rank them appropriately due to their lack of experience above Single-A ball.

Turn Off Ads?