Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marty says Homer best he's seen in 30 years

Re: Marty says Homer best he's seen in 30 years

The Reds would like to hold Votto and Bailey down in AAA to June because of options themselves.

Then when injuries start piling up they become options.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds radio play-by-play man Marty Brennaman calls Bailey the best pitching prospect he's seen in his 33 years with the club.
    Not much competition...

We need to bring them up for the August stretch run - where we are looking to overtake Milwaukee for 4th place in the Central...

Honestly, there's only a few things have to happen to bring up Bailey right after the All-Star Break:
    (Break Stats)
    Phillips and EE have 10-15 HR's each
    Griffey is healthy and batting over .260 with Power, and Josh Hamilton fills in admirably in late-innings and spot starts
    Dunner only has 100K's (and 25 HR's)
    Gonzo has more HR's than E's
    Conine is spelling Hattenberg and 4th OF WAY over his head
    Lohse has a <4.0 ERA and can keep us in games
    The BULLPEN isn't blowing saves like a ***** in Navy shoreleave port
    meaning:
    Coffey's sporting a <2.5 ERA as a set-up guy
    Weather's and Stanton come through (since they're our only other RH relievers, and hold it down for Easy Eddie or some other closer to step in for the stretch run
    Bray and Cormeal are lighting it up
    Majewski is back in form, OR our grievance comes through and we get $10M back from the Nats

Then, we MIGHT be within striking distance of the Cubs/Cards/Stros.
    We can think of bringing up a AAA dominating Homer, who's now sporting a real curve and change, to fill the gap of a probably underperforming Milton and/or Saarlos, for a stretch run.

Worst case: The Reds are out of it by the Break, and they bring up a fast-ball only Homer in September to sell some tickets and get him some Major League action. We've got $10M freed up after dumping Milton to spend on a REAL #2/#3 SP, can bring up Votto to play a REAL full-time Power 1B, spend $10M on a REAL veteran CF-er FA and move Griff to RF, and maybe get a PROVEN closer.

Then Homer has a place on real roster worthy of competing for Pennants.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Milwaukee will win the central this year.... so if we are going to overtake them, nice.... we will be going to the playoffs.

with most organizations that statement would really mean something but in the case of the Reds, it doesn't

Just don't let anyone compare him to Seaver!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Not much competition...

hmmm ..... Let's see - Gullet, Soto, Browning, Seaver, Rijo. Not much competition there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    hmmm ..... Let's see - Gullet, Soto, Browning, Seaver, Rijo. Not much competition there.
    the only two of those "developed by the Reds in the last 30 years" are Soto and Browning. Soto you might even exclude because he made it to the majors in 77 meaning he is on the very edge of the 30 year period.

The Reds starting pitching development over that period has been so abysmal there really isn't much to compare Bailey with.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the only two of those "developed by the Reds in the last 30 years" are Soto and Browning. Soto you might even exclude because he made it to the majors in 77 meaning he is on the very edge of the 30 year period.

The Reds starting pitching development over that period has been so abysmal there really isn't much to compare Bailey with.

I'm sure Gullet was originally signed & developed by the Reds. I didn't know Marty's remark was limited to those "developed" by the Reds. If Homer's career is better than Soto's & Browning's, I'll be very happy. Also Rijo's career with the Reds exceeded his previous efforts which indicates some development by the Reds.

My remark was not intended as praise of the Reds pitching development in the last 33 years. It's clear the Reds pitching development over that period has been bad. To say "Not much competition..." in response to Marty's comment, however, diminishes his evaluation of Homer in my opinion since(even excluding Seaver and Rijo) the Reds have had several outstanding propects in that time period.
    Last edited by Stingray; 02-28-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm sure Gullet was originally signed & developed by the Reds. I didn't know Marty's remark was limited to those "developed" by the Reds.
    Well, Marty supposedly said Bailey was the best pitching prospect he's seen in his 33 years with the club. I believe that puts the context as "guys who were Reds pitching prospects during or after 1974," although it wasn't a direct quote so I can't be sure he's referring only to Reds prospects. But let's say he is. Gullett wouldn't count, because he was well into his major-league career by 1974. Seaver wouldn't count, he was a veteran who came over in trade. Rijo may not count, because he had also advanced beyond prospectdom (although he was not as good as he would become) when he was acquired by Cincinnati.

That leaves Soto and Browning. Not too shabby, those two. But were either of them considered one of the best two pitching prospects in all of baseball as they approached the major leagues? My memory is imperfect, but I don't think they were quite that highly regarded at the time.

No guarantees about anything for Bailey, of course. But I have a hard time disagreeing with the premise that he is, at least, the most anticipated pitcher by Reds fans in, if not ever, pretty close.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 02-28-2007 at 11:58 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

You guys are taking his quote too serious. I think this is more a compliment to how good and dominant homer is. I dont think he ment to say that homer is the best of a pitching starved organization.

If you take Marty word for word dont you also have to consider Armstrong, Williamson, BJ Ryan, and Hoffmann?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You guys are taking his quote too serious. I think this is more a compliment to how good and dominant homer is. I dont think he ment to say that homer is the best of a pitching starved organization.

If you take Marty word for word dont you also have to consider Armstrong, Williamson, BJ Ryan, and Hoffmann?
    Not Hoffman. He played SS for the Reds. He was never a pitcher in our organization.

Not Hoffman. He played SS for the Reds. He was never a pitcher in our organization.
    Gotcha. I didn't know if it was the reds who converted him or not.

I'm sure Gullet was originally signed & developed by the Reds.
    ... in the late 60s.

BTW Bailey is a great prospect, they really is nothing to compare him with for the Reds over the last 30 years. There is no doubt he has the ability to be special.
    Last edited by flyer85; 03-01-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Gotcha. I didn't know if it was the reds who converted him or not.
    Reds converted him and he spent two years as a pitcher in the system ... as a reliever.

Turn Off Ads?