Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riverfront memories

No particular order and leaving many out.

1. Browning's perfect game
    2. All my kid glove games
    3. Seeing Marge and Schottzie after a game one time
    4. Riding my bike from Northern Kentucky and being able to go on the outfield during an off day
    5. Jr.'s first opening day, absolutely deafening from the crowd
    6. My last game there last weekend with mom and dad.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

2. Turn Off Ads?
    My memory made it onto the Enquirer's list that they published in a special section of their paper. I think they still have them up on the website. Just wanted to blow my own horn a little.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

-My 1st of about 10 Reds games, it was against the Cubs when I was about 5 or so.

-Watching the Reds beat the Phillies in the middle of their amazing 1999 season.

-Seeing Griffey, for the first time on June 20th of this year. I was upset when I found out he had an off-day, but he was a pinch-hitter late in the game, and he got a standing ovation when he came to the plate. I had goosebumps from the time I saw him step into the on-deck circle, until Ichiro caught his mile-high flyball. I'll never forget how sweet his swing looked in person.

-My last game there, August 17th against the Astros.

Mine would be yelling at Willie Mays, and having him smile and wave at us. Quite a thrill for a little kid. Willie was the man in those days.

I've had so many memories of games at Riverfront (can't stand the name Cinergy ). Here's a few...

1979- My dad and I went down to watch our Reds play the Cards (sat in the LF green seats). I can't remember the Red's pitcher who started the game (which was easy to do because he only lasted a 1/3 of an inning and gave up 9 runs ). Most of us in the stands figured that this game was over. The Reds brought in this young kid, and he pitched 8 2/3 innings of shutout (2 hit ball), and the Reds came back and won the game 10-9. His name?....Frank Pastore

1988- Again my Dad and I went down and watched the Reds play the Astros this time. They had Mike Scott starting for them (got some great pics!). The Reds had this young rookie playing for them, and he had the game of his life! He had 4 hits (3 TRIPLES!) in leading the Reds to victory! My Dad kept asking..."Who is this kid, and where did he come from?" And I kept saying..."That's our new rookie 3bman Dad...Chris Sabo" . My Dad said he had never seen anyone hustle like Chris had since Charlie Hustle himself. And he loved those goggles! My Dad thought they were so practical, and he couldn't undertand why more players didn't wear them (lol).

2000-Jr's first season as a Red. A bunch of us went down from Honda (I had to get the tickets of course ). We sat in the green seats ("I must be in the front row!") in right-center field. Got both Jr and Bichette to turn around and wave so we could take pics. This was the game where Villone pitched, and for once, was pitching a humdinger. He gave up a Hr to "whimpy boy" Edmonds, and then Big Mac hit the longest Hr ever at Cinergy. What was hilarious was that everyone was trying to get their bathroom break in between the inning before these guys came up (what a line!). Unfortunately, we were all standing "you know where" when Edmonds hit his. But everyone was literally "shaking their legs" and runnin' and zipping at the same time to see Big Mac's A/B . Fortunately, I was able to get outside to see his shot in time.

Griffey won the game in the 7th with a 2 run homer to RF! One of the best games I have ever seen.

And then there was the infamous game last year (again against the Cards). My two brothers and I went down. We were winning the game going into the 9th (I think it was 6-4?..too many beers), and they brought in Danny Graves. Danny ended up giving up a 3 run homer to lose it for us! As the despondent crowds filed out of the stadium, a priceless moment was revealed. A drunk (no it wasn't me ) hung over the railing on the exit ramps and yelled.."NOBODY SCORES ON DANNY GRAVES!" I never heard such a roar of laughter in my life from the crowd! It made the drive home enjoyable!

Originally posted by KittyDuran
    1) First game 8/31/71 vs Pads

I've met you Kitty, there's no way you're old enough to have gone to a game in 1971 is there?

My best Riverfront memory...although I don't really remember it...was my first baseball game ever in 1977...as a baby, my dad took me down by the field and George Foster asked if he could hold me, so my dad placed me in his arms, and Ken Griffey and Johnny Bench came out of the dugout and were oogling over me too.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Red Ball Express
    1) Watching the confetti dance in the arctic wind from my frozen perch in aisle 331 as the clock wound down to the Super Bowl in Jan, 1982.

2) The night Pete "bumped" Dave Pallone. That was one wild game. A few innings earlier, the crowd was primed by Darryl Strawberry's fight with Tom Browning. It was 1988, but this was still that same basic '86 Met team that all of baseball loved to hate. The most passionate I have ever seen Cincy fans. Transistor radios littered the field, and anyone familiar with the old "transistor radio" set at the stadium would testify that, as a group, these folks were not exactly what one would call radicals.

3) Tony Perez hitting a grand slam to cap a 7 or 8 run rally in the 9th inning to win game 1 of a doubleheader vs. SF in 1973. (Yes, we won game 2 as well !)

4) Hal King's 9th inning 3 run HR in July, 1973 that not only won the game (Game 1 of a dh sweep) but literally turned the '73 season around. (A loss would have left the Reds 12 games behind the Dodgers)

5) Bengals Div round playoff win Vs, Buffalo the week before the "Freezer Bowl". Charles Alexander had the game of his life scoring at least one TD and gaining over 100 yds.Joe Ferguson was strong for the Bills, but the Bengals defense held in the 4th quarter. I remember hugging strangers and having beers passed between lawyers landscapers and juvenile delinquents in as general a state of hapiness as a reserved city like Cincinnati could ever produce.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Wow, so many memories!

I got to see (in no particular order):

1) Pete Rose, Jr.'s first Reds game. Seemed like old times.

2) 1970 All-Star game. Had tickets for red seats behind the scoreboard but my brother and I decided to stand on the green level instead. People in front of me stood up as Pete rounded third and they blocked my view of the play at home. Thank the Lord for taped replays.

3) 1972 game 5 of the playoffs: Bench's homer and later Moose's wild pitch. I was hoarse from yelling for 3 days.

4) Hal King's homer in '73. There was a certain brashness, almost an arrogance, about the Reds in those days. After he hit that home run, it was simply understood around here that the Reds would win the division.

5) Pinch hitter par excellance Ed Armbrister getting a rare start against San Diego and hitting a couple of homers along with another hit I believe. The pitcher decked him the next time up.

6) In the early days of Riverfront the fans weren't shooed out of the stadium quite so quickly as today. I remember watching Pete take about half an hour of extra hitting after a Sunday game. Oh man, that guy was a truly DRIVEN individual.

And there were others, but I also think we can have 'memories of Riverfront' without actually being there. Watching on TV or listening to a radio broadcast can give you almost the same chills and excitement.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.
    I was there at all the playoff games vs the Mets, ok, but I also saw the first game Pete played third base. One I will never forget, and didn't think about it till on the way home, but sometime in the mid seventys, they forgot to play the National Antham. As the game started and the Reds took the field, the rain came down, a short delay, but when they did take the field, the forgot to do the antham. I thought on the way home, back to Greenville I must have had maybe one too many, , but no, read it in the paper the next day. Any one else remember that?

Turn Off Ads?