Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riverfront memories

Haunted by walks

Riverfront memories

Most of my life I've lived too far away to be a regular goer, but looking back I was surprised at the number of moments I witnessed at Riverfront. TeamBoone and Kitty Duran can probably put the rest of us to shame, but here are my top five moments at Riverfront:

1. Home runs by Hank Aaron, Mark McGwire and Ken Griffey Jr. (not in the same game of course, but it adds up to something special.)

2. Pete Rose poking the umpire.

3. Barry Larkin hitting his fifth home run in two days.

4. Kids lining up at the railing of the red seats for McGwire's batting practice.

5. John Franco going 12 innings without giving up a hit.

I'll bet the rest of you have even better ones.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I was there when Eric Davis hit for the cycle against the Padres.

A co-worker and her husband were at Browning's perfect game.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Dixieland
    I saw the Reds win the NLCS back in 1990

the Division series in 95

2 opening day victories

Pete Rose-enough said

Pete Harnisch hitting a HR

2 different clobberings of the Braves

a three game sweep of the Dodgers

and in my very last game at Riverfront which was in July Lark hit a HR!!!!

My first big league game as a kid (in '75). To walk through the stadium and seeing the big expanse of green field was magical.

I understand why it's time to go, but I will miss Riverfront.

I still remember being awestruck walking in there for the first time as a child in July of 1970 and feeling like I was viewing a sea of green.

Attending 2 World Series games in 1972. Seeing Gene Tenace hit 2 of his 4 homers in that series is a memory not so pleasant.

Game 2 1990 World Series. Still get chills when I hear or see highlights.

Last year's game Junior won with an inside the park homer.

Watching the joy on my kid's faces as players handed them balls during batting practices or they got autographs.

Watching Pete not get hit #4000, instead walking 4 times (I think) as an Expo.

Several Opening Day games.

Hanging out in the parking area after the game.

Post-game White Castles!

My most memorable "Riverfront" moment.

1. Bengals vs Chargers Playoffs (so cold I moved west 4 months later)

2. Game 1 1976 WS

3. Game 1 1979 Playoffs

4. Bengals vs Dolphins in rainstorm 1977

5. Any Kid Glove game vs the Tigers

I was thinking the same thing just the other day.

I was able to attend Opening Day '87 and '00
    Johnny Bench Night 1983
    Tony Perez Day 1986
    Larkins one and only grandslam '01
    One game playoff in '99

My dad who has since passed gave me alot of memories at Riverfront and now I will get to do the same with my son(5 yrs. old) at GAB.

Larkin's grand slam
    Dmitri's red-seat homer
    An Eric Davis grand slam
    Three Opening Days
    The 1988 All-Star Game
    the 1999 one-game playoff
    Larkin's 2,000th hit
    Naked Cowboy in LF

My top Riverfront memories I've been at would be:

Larkin's Grand Slam
    Dmitri's red seater (same game)
    Larkin's 2000th hit
    The game the Reds hit 2 grand slams (Taubensee & Boone?)
    The big win a couple years ago in August where the Harnisch hit a homer.
    1995-Bret Boone hit a 3 run homer to beat the Cubs in the 11th
    Opening Days in 1996 & 2002
    My first game vs. the Giants when I was 8 in 1992
    The walk off wins this year, Aaron Boone on Opening Day and in June, Griffey Jr. in August, and Sean Casey in Sugust

The real memories I think I'll always remember were catching balls during games (one by Ellis Burks in 1996 &2 this year)

Also I'll remember the countless chases of cars after games in hopes of getting autographs and keeping track of my records for autographs at one game and hoping to break it each game I went to.

One of the other great memories was in past years when I was younger before I organized cards to take to games, I'd just take a ball and whoever I got, I got. We'd always have to try and figure out who the heck really signed that ball and it would make for fun trips back from Cincinnati.

I have a feeling GAB just won't be the same as Riverfron but in terms of watching the game and overall enjoyment of the action I hope and feel it will be better.

1) First game 8/31/71 vs Pads (first row green seats behind HP) we ate at McDonald's (see #6) then only had two sodas for 4 people - I only took a couple sips from my Mom's and was forced to go to the restroom during the 7th inning stretch by my Dad because we weren't going to stop on the way home. Also, every time Bench would get to the plate I'd squeeze my program - my little sis still laughs at me today about going to the games and how I would act....
    2) Pokey's 3 run GW homer vs Cards in '99 - seeing the most animated version of the "bounce"
    3) Larkin's GS and the Naked Cowboy in one game
    4) Boone and Tauby hitting GS's vs Expos (I think) in '99
    5) Seeing Fergie Jenkins (Cubs) vs Jack Billingham in '73 and being in the middle of the Bleacher Bums
    6) Eating McDonald's before going to the game in the '70s (we hardly ever ate out as a family)
    7) Second game (first series w/Astros after the big trade in '71) - didn't get our tickets ahead of time and had to settle for nosebleed section - Reds lost 9-5, so I ended up watching more of the crowd (actually did a stand-up routine for my speech class in my freshman year of HS based on the memories)
    8) Being too scared to get Concepcion's autograph when they used to sign at the tables - why didn't my Dad force me to do that???
    9) Checking out the boys (both in the stands and on the field) during my teen years and wearing tightest jeans and tops I could get away with - w/o my Mom having a fit!!!
    10) Rijo making a return - talk about goosebumps! and,
    11) Not game related... but on our way home from the family vacation to SE KY - hitting the "cut-in-the-hill" and seeing the stadium and knowing that we were almost home. (a view no longer available)
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I've posted this before, but my favorite Riverfront memory came in 2000 when the Reds honored Sparky Anderson and the 1975 champions before a game against the Twins. The Reds won the game, but that was secondary that night to being able to once again see the Big Red Machine and to salute the team of my youth. There were tears in my eyes.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I was there shortly after the opening of the stadium. To walk into that great round ballpark with the bright green new-tech turf was such a stark contrast to Crosley Field. Jim Merritt pitched and we won. Unforgettable.

Others, in order of importance:

1. Seaver's no-hitter. What a day. I sat in the green seats
    2. Seeing Bench in his retirement year hit a homerun. wow!
    3. Attending a World Series game for the first time in 1990
    4. Seeing Griffey's big HR against the Dodgers this year with
    5,000 people in the stands
    5. Seeing Pete Rose go 3-4 as a player-manager. Electric
    6. Walking across the Roebling bridge to a game many times

There are so many. I'll miss the old house, but not as much as Crosley Field. Bring me two Burger beers and one dose of Waite Hoyt. And hold the onions...

Too many to name

Even though I have always lived 5 hours away, I was able to attend a few games each year for most of my life. I will name a few from Riverfront only that come out without thinking:

1. Rose leveling Fosse in the All-Star Game
    2. Hal King's homer against the Dodgers that started a charge to the division title.
    3. Johnny hitting 2 homers against John Montefusco after he said he was gonna give Johnny the Golden Sombrero (4 strikouts)
    4. Gullet's almost no-no that was almost saved by the most beautiful unsuccesful dive for a ball by Pete in rightfield in the 8th.
    5. Getting to walk around the field with a banner between games of a double-header in '77...What a View!!!

Oh if I would spend some time I am sure there are a thousand, but these are ones that are most special I imagine.
    Let's play two!!!

Kevin Mitchell's two huge home runs back in 93?

I do remember one of the balls going over the foul pole, longest ball I've ever seen hit.

I thought it'd be nice to make this a sticky till the weekend is over so others can add their personal favorite memories.

Mine are:
    1998 Opening Day - My first Opening Day.
    1999 Playoff - The mutual love the players and fans showed for each other after the disappointing result to a special season was something unforgettable
    Larkin's Grand Slam
    25th BRM anniversary
    Rijo's return last year and first start this year
    1989 (I think) First game I ever saw there against the pre-Chop Braves.
    Taking the Rosie Reds tour in 2001 and the mini-tour my vintage base ball team took earlier this year when we presented John Allen with an award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?