Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey as closer

Homer Bailey as closer

John Fay mentions it in his online blog today..........that Bailey would make a good closer. I've thought about that all winter, why not? It would be a good way to get him to the bigs (ala Papelbon), and it would fill a large need for the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey as closer

If the Reds were close to winning it might be a risk to think about. Given the rest of the team, I see no reason to risk his arm or development. He needs to stretch his innings out to up past 160 this year. Closing will retard his development at 21. Papelbon was older and more past the injury nexus when he did it.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

He's been a starter.. until he proves he can't start why screw with his stamina?

Sure take the best starting pitcher the Reds have come through the Minors in Decades and turn him into a closer. No thanks.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Would be the dumbest move ever.

Well, at least one of them.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

As a general rule I don't read anything by Fay, due to his complete and total lack of knowledge about sports.

To me, he wouldn't be a good closer for the same reason they would keep him in Louisville as a starter....concerns about his command of the off speed stuff.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    Sure take the best starting pitcher the Reds have come through the Minors in Decades and turn him into a closer. No thanks.

Well said. I agree. Homer has the potential to be a number one or great number two starter. You don't jeopardize that for a year in the pen. The Reds are probably shooting for '08 anyway, why take a chance?
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

Redsbacker

I remember Narron addressing this at the Reds Caravan and his response was Bailey was drafted as a starter, has been a starter his entire career, and they have no plans whatsoever to use him as anything but a starter.

Personally, I hope Coffey gets another shot at the job, I think he's an intense ballplayer and has the stuff to do it. He's adding a new pitch this spring (I think a change-up but not sure) and I've been a fan of his ever since that big strikeout of Edmonds in St. Louis back in April to preserve Harang's 1-0 win over Chris Carpenter.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsbacker View Post
    I remember Narron addressing this at the Reds Caravan and his response was Bailey was drafted as a starter, has been a starter his entire career, and they have no plans whatsoever to use him as anything but a starter.

Personally, I hope Coffey gets another shot at the job, I think he's an intense ballplayer and has the stuff to do it. He's adding a new pitch this spring (I think a change-up but not sure) and I've been a fan of his ever since that big strikeout of Edmonds in St. Louis back in April to preserve Harang's 1-0 win over Chris Carpenter.

Doesn't everyone add a changeup in the spring?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

No !!!!!!! Bailey Is Not Closer. If He Makes Team Out Of Spring He Should Be Number 2 Between Harang & Arroyo No Lower .

Redsbacker

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Doesn't everyone add a changeup in the spring?
    I dunno, if I ever meet Brian Shackleford or Matt Belisle I'll ask them

Isn't the rule of thumb to give starters a shot at closer after they fail as a starter? I'd rather not relive the whole Danny Graves closer-starter-closer fiasco.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Bailey could close and probably would be very successfull at it, would not have to use more than his curve and fastball. I do not think it is a good idea though, although I think we need a closer that can throw the heat! Don't think the Reds would even consider it!

No way, no how. Moving a starter to the pen has been disastrous with prospects in the past. The Reds might see some short term benefit, but in the long run relievers are a dime a dozen and fade quickly; solid starters are harder to come by.

Turn Off Ads?