Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spouse Annoying Habits

Re: Spouse Annoying Habits

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Sprawling out in bed, pushing me to one side because she likes "the middle". It's time to move to a King.
    Won't work Matt. We got a king and that just gives her more domain to conquer. They're like huns when it comes to open territory. :
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    He doesn't like sports.
    My wife doesn't either. But she knows and understands that I do. And if she tried to change me she knows her contract would not be renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    He doesn't like sports.

My wife doesn't either. Hates 'em as a matter of fact.

Let me preface this with God bless my wife, I love her, and I would be a bum without her.

But there are 2 things she does that drive me nuts:

1.) Along with Randy's "read her mind", she expects for me to be able to hear what she is thinking about. I always have to stop and try to figure out the context of some seemingly random comment because she never establishes it.

2.) The second is she always takes the kitchen towels and throws them in the laundry and doesn't hang up new ones. So I'll wash my hands, turn to dry them with dripping hands, and there is no towel.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    1.) Along with Randy's "read her mind", she expects for me to be able to hear what she is thinking about. I always have to stop and try to figure out the context of some seemingly random comment because she never establishes it
    I dated a girl for a while who did this. Many arguments erupted because she simply didn't tell me what she was really thinking and expected me to figure it out.

As such, when Mrs Ltlabner and I started dating I made it clear from day 1 that (1) I am not a mind-reader (2) I am not a dective (3) any thought not expressed or statement left unsaid was null-and-void. If it wasn't important enough for her to say it, it wasn't important enough for me to consider it. It took a while to get my point across but with consistant application it worked great!
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    2.) The second is she always takes the kitchen towels and throws them in the laundry and doesn't hang up new ones. So I'll wash my hands, turn to dry them with dripping hands, and there is no towel.
    Start wiping your hands on the curtains..... she'll start remembering to put up fresh towels.

La Dolce Vita

After years of marriage it seems a reasonably bright and capable spouse SHOULD be able to intuit from past experience what the other is talking about.

I tend to expect this (as some above say their wives do), perhaps giving my husband more credit than he deserves.
    teach tolerance.

The one thing that irritates me and it has been discussed with her ad nauseum.

The car keys. Put them in the same place and we won't have to spend 10 minutes to an hour looking for them in the morning. I've tried everything. I bought a new wooden key ring holder just inside the garage door where we enter. Nope, walks right past it. I put a second key holder right by the kitchen (usually the first place she goes when coming home). Nope, that one doesn't get used either. Instead we get to play the "Do you remember what coat I wore yesterday?" game. If I don't remember what coat she was wearing, it's my fault? What's more fun is when we do locate yesterday's coat and the keys aren't in there. Then, the real hunt is on. My parents bought her one of those beeping car key locators. She won't use it.
    I think she enjoys it. It's pure torture for me. It has been since the day we met.

Last edited by Red Leader; 02-26-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    After years of marriage it seems a reasonably bright and capable spouse SHOULD be able to intuit from past experience what the other is talking about.

I tend to expect this (as some above say their wives do), perhaps giving my husband more credit than he deserves.
    Actually, Mrs. Ltlabner and I will have been married for 5 years this May + another 2 years of dating and engagement. I usually do know what's she's thinking, or at least have a general idea. And usually I have a clue as to what she means when she makes some obscure comment. But I refuse to do the work for her. If it's important to her, she'll open her mouth and express what shes thinking. Not hint around and expect me to be a detective.

It's not really about being too stupid to figure out what she means, it's about her being too lazy to explain herself. Sorry gals (I'm sure this comes off as cold and callous) but if you don't care about something enough to simply vocalize it, I'm not going to do the work for you.

Classic example. Mrs Ltlabner is emotional and upset. I sincearly and gently say something like, "honey, you seem upset, is something wrong". If she replies "no, I'm fine" (dispite the tears, mascara running down her face and the sobbing) then I'm done. I'm not going to pry it out of you. Obviously there are exceptions to this. If her Dad died or something and she was upset a the next week I wouldn't be so harsh and would let her express what's she thinking when she's ready to. But if she's mearly had a bad day and doesn't want to talk about it, don't expect me to drag it out of you.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

After 22 years of marriage, we mostly laugh about it. I've gotten pretty good at figuring it out.

The thing is, it's not just the next logical step, it's pretty far down the path at step 5 or 6. It takes some looking around trying to figure out what the triggering mechanism is, try to remember if its anything we've talked about in the last 3 months, and then if its related. I can generally gestalt it fairly quickly and wind up saying "if you're talking about the blinds for the bathroom that we discussed at Christmas, then *yes*, plantation shades are my favorite too and yes, I can get to them this weekend"..

Although once in a while, I say "I'm sorry, I am utterly lost. I have no idea what you're talking about".

Zoinks!

I'm of the mind set that after years of marriage a bright and capable spouse should understand that the minds of a man and woman work differently. When my wife plays the stuff where I am supposed to keep asking what is the matter over and over (and she rarely does this anymore) I generally just go down to my family room, tell my son to come down with me and we watch TV and play until she is ready to be reasonable. I expect my wife to use reason and logic.

I expect my wife to use reason and logic.
    The sun's coming up
    She's pulling all the blankets over
    Curled in a ball
    Like she's hiding from me and
    That's when I know
    She's gonna be pissed when she wakes up
    For terrible things I did
    To her in her dreams

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    I'm of the mind set that after years of marriage a bright and capable spouse should understand that the minds of a man and woman work differently. When my wife plays the stuff where I am supposed to keep asking what is the matter over and over (and she rarely does this anymore) I generally just go down to my family room, tell my son to come down with me and we watch TV and play until she is ready to be reasonable. I expect my wife to use reason and logic.
    I think this is a good skill to have for both spouses.

There are times when I'll be on one of my rants about something and my wife will just give me one of "those" looks. Very subtle, nobody else notices it, but it says "Roy, you're being an idiot". And a little red flag will raise in the middle of my roaring and I'll think, "oh jeez, am I being foolish here?". It's a sign for me to wind it down. After some fussing and fuming, I'll settle down.

A couple days later, we'll talk about it and have a good laugh. But if she would have used a frontal assault while I was in mid-frenzy, it never would have worked and would have only escalated things.

And I do the same to her. A raised eyebrow or a throat-clearing can sometimes communicate volumes.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The sun's coming up
    Curled in a ball
    That's when I know
    To her in her dreams

How'd you know what I did this morning?
    teach tolerance.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post

So, things ALWAYS have to be settled your way (which I assume you mean is w/ reason and logic)? Seems a little unreasonable.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The sun's coming up
    Curled in a ball
    That's when I know
    To her in her dreams
    Ho-ho. I though it was just my wife that did this.

Turn Off Ads?