Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick a 2nd team who would it be?

If you had to pick a 2nd team who would it be?

Most everyone's favorite team here would be the Reds obviously, if you had to root for another team, who would it be and why?

For me, it would be Minnesota. I'm not sure as to why other than when I was a kid, I liked their style, Kirby Puckett, Jack Morris, Kent Hrbeck, Tom Brunansky. I have followed them all through the late 90's as well, Mauer and Morneau are great young studs. I like their style too, not breaking the bank and bringing in overpaid stars.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If you had to pick a 2nd team who would it be?

My 2nd favorite team changes, over the years its been the Dogers,Cubs and Cards.
    Finally, after a few yrs in S. Florida I`m starting to like the Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    My 2nd favorite team changes, over the years its been the Dogers,Cubs and Cards.
    Finally, after a few yrs in S. Florida I`m starting to like the Marlins.
    I used to go to St. Pete every year to work a baseball summer camp for kids and became a Dray fan while I was down there. Ok, I've officially come out of the closet.................

I'd pick the Twins as well. A small market club that seems to get the message and stick to their plan. Terry Ryan is extremely underrated as a GM.
    I'll miss the turf when it's gone and I can't figure out how they are going to play Sept./Oct baseball in an open air stadium.
    Johann is a lefty Soto.(with a nasty slider)

Mine changes as players change. There is no one really close to the Reds, but if I had to pick I'd say Phily. I like Utley and Rollins up the middle.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-25-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Very interesting question...

I was born in Plymouth MA, so I've always had a yen for the Red Sox.

When I was very young my father bought me a KC Royals shirt so, of course, they became my favorite team. Unfortuntaley since the George Brett hayday they've pretty much sucked.

I've always liked Atlanta. Even though during their hayday's with Maddux, Schmoltz, et al I always thought they were a great team. They seemed very disciplined and their starting pitching was frickin amazing. They appeared to run like a well oiled machine.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

My second favorite team constantly changes, depending who is on what team. I started rooting for the Red Sox 40 years ago, during the "Impossible Dream" season of 1967, and I really liked the Boston teams of the 1975-86 era, actually better than I did the 2004 team that finally brought Boston a World Series victory. While I still root for Boston to defeat the Yankees, I am not as big a Red Sox fan as I used to be.
    I was a Phillies fan back in 1980-83. I already liked Schmidt, Carlton and McGraw. When the Phillies added Rose, and later Morgan and Perez, they became my second favorite team, but when they all left, so did I. I didn't give a second's thought to the 1993 Phillies, who won the NL, for example.
    I was a Cardinals fan way back in 1964-65, so I sometimes do have a flashback and root for the Cards. I was one of the very few people here who was glad they defeated the Tigers in last year's World Series. However I can recall rooting for the Tigers in the 1968 World Series against St. Louis, mainly because at that point I was sick of seeing Gibson, Brock & Co. beat the Reds. I also rooted for the Royals over the Cardinals in the 1985 World Series because I liked George Brett and I didn't like anyone on the '85 Cards.
    I cheered for the Tigers in their World Series of 1984 solely because their manager was Sparky Anderson. Sparky's gone from Detroit and so is my motive to cheer for the Tigers.
    I was glad to see the White Sox win the World Series in 2005 because they hadn't won one since 1917 and because I figured the win would really stick it to the Cubs, but now that the Chisox have recently won a Series I no longer root for them.
    Who is my second favorite team now? Probably the Red Sox, but it is a very distant second to the Reds.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Can't be someone from the NL for me. I would say the Tigers, especially after going to a lot of Mudhens games.

It's an easy choice for me, the White Sox. I live 170 miles from both Great American Ball Park & US Cellular Field. I was a White Sox fan until I saw Pete Rose play in '63. I attend about 15 games a year in Cincy & a couple in Chicago. My favorite all-time players are Pete Rose & Nellie Fox.
    Last edited by chettt; 02-25-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Has to be the Cards - I married one of their fans and converted her!

The Cincinnati Bengals.

I love the Reds and Bengals and don't have it in me to root for another team in either sport.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

For me, it would be the Orioles. Always liked them as a kid. Brooks, Frank, Boog, Belanger, Blair, Buford, Hendricks, Johnson, Palmer, McNally, Cuellar, and "The Earl" of Baltimore. Had the opportunity to live in Fredericksburg, VA during some of the Ripken years and frequented Camden Yards often. I have always liked their uniforms and colors as well.

Nowhere near the Reds, but my favorite AL team for all my life.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The Phillies, just having lived there the past two years, and watching that team really grow around a solid young core.

As some have stated mine would change with the players.
    I listen to/watch the reds whether they win or lose and I cant say I would do that for another team.
    Teams I enjoy watching on EI when reds aren't on:

Boston
    Oakland
    Detroit

Living in Chicago, I like have a local team to cheer for. Since I DESPISE the Cubs, I've been fortunate enough to have the White Sox as my second team!

Turn Off Ads?