a closer.

This from BP

Cincinnati Reds:

Code:
    ARP rank   Year   Pitcher            WXRL   ARP    BB/9  K/9
    61         2006   David Weathers     2.566  10.6   3.5   6.0
    416        2006   Bill Bray          1.098  -1.3   2.6   6.6
    49         2006   Todd Coffey        2.585  12.4   2.3   6.8
    Coffey's act of running out to the mound never gets old with me--he's an inspiration. Despite looking like he's in his mid-fifties, he's only 25, and the best of this motley group last year. The prototypical example of a player who may be forced into a closing role, Coffey will also give you decent value as a middle reliever in the interim. The X-factor in Cincinnati is a strange front office, one that hails from Intangible, Ohio.
    BTW

ARP - Adjusted Runs Prevented
    WXRL - Expected wins added over a replacement level pitcher, adjusted for level of opposing hitters.
    Last edited by flyer85; 02-26-2007 at 12:24 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In search of ...

I love the Intangible, Ohio line. From Trent's blog over the weekend:

Talked to Jerry Narron about the closer situation. It's still going to be David Weathers and Mike Stanton, unless one of the young pitchers -- Narron mentioned Todd Coffey -- is truly dominant in camp.

"I don’t know if we have that kind of big arm in camp that’s going to change anything," Narron said.

seeing as the Reds really don't have an ideal closer candidate, I don't mind them going with the old guys. If you use a younger guy with future utility all you do is drive up his salary.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Coffey's act of running out to the mound never gets old with me--he's an inspiration.
    I didn't know Marty wrote articles as well.

I guess we don't have much hope in Kerry Ligtenberg making the team, or having anything postive to contribute?

Code:
    W    L  SV    ERA   G   IP    R    ER   HR  BB   SO   WHIP 
    17  20  48   3.82  386  390.7 173  166  46  158  357  1.32
    I've done zero research (yes, I'm lazy today) so he may be a total chump but who knows.

Of course, with so many spots already spoken for, if Ligtenberg, Livingston, Salmon and/or anybody else steps up there's just not going to be room for them. Of course, if they do this, it make some of the other guys expendable/tradeable.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-26-2007 at 01:16 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I guess we don't have much hope in Kerry Ligtenberg making the team, or having anything postive to contribute?

Code:
    W    L  SV    ERA   G   IP    R    ER   HR  BB   SO   WHIP 
    17  20  48   3.82  386  390.7 173  166  46  158  357  1.32
    I've done zero research (yes, I'm lazy today) so he may be a total chump but who knows.

Of course, with so many spots already spoken for, if Ligtenberg, Livingston, Salmon and/or anybody else steps up there's just not going to be room for them. Of course, if they do this, it make some of the other guys expendable/tradeable.
    That k/9 at 8.3 looks nice, but he's had Tommy John surgery and doesn't throw as hard as he used to.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 02-26-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Turn Off Ads?