Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I wish I was a kid

I wish I was a kid

As I watch my little 6 year old brother get ready for another major league season, I realize how much I miss being a kid. .200 batting averages, long west coast losing streaks, and 5.00 ERA's hadn't polluted my brain yet, and there was nothing but pure joy as another season got under way.

I didn't care whether or not our bullpen would come through, or whether our starting pitcher's took on too much of a workload, or whether our infield defense would be set, and if that was, could the outfield defense step up as well? I didn't care about that stuff, because I was too young to know any better. All I cared about was watching my favorite team, and my favorite player's, play my favorite game, outcome be damned. If they lost by 10, or won by 10, I went to bed wearing my Reds pajamas, knowing that there'd always be tomorrow.

I wish heartbreaking losses and unfulfilled promises by past ownership hadn't clouded my thoughts, and I wish I could barely read so I wouldn't care so much about what pessimistic writer's thought about the team's chances.

I wish I still had every bit of that boyhood innocence that my little brother has. I wish I never once thought of Griffey getting hurt, or our top prospects not developing as we'd hope.

I think once we reach a certain age, we lose a part of that innocence. Whether consciously or not, we let the bad times we've experienced as fans override all of the beautiful things that come along with it, and I wish there was a way to keep that from happening, but I'm afraid there's not. We all care so much, that perhaps sometimes we care TOO much, to where it takes away from the beauty of the game.

So at least once this spring, just kick back, put all of the fears and negative thoughts in the back of your head, and cherish watching YOUR Cincinnati Reds, and the wonderful game of baseball in general.

Six year olds know no better than to do that... I wish the same could be said for myself.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I wish I was a kid

I think once we reach a certain age, we lose a part of that innocence. Whether consciously or not, we let the bad times we've experienced as fans override all of the beautiful things that come along with it, and I wish there was a way to keep that from happening, but I'm afraid there's not. We all care so much, that perhaps sometimes we care TOO much, to where it takes away from the beauty of the game.

So at least once this spring, just kick back, put all of the fears and negative thoughts in the back of your head, and cherish watching YOUR Cincinnati Reds, and the wonderful game of baseball in general.

Six year olds know no better than to do that... I wish the same could be said for myself.
    Yo, man, nice post. Don't worry -- you can do it. Sometimes all it takes is shutting the computer off, turning off Brennaman and reacclimating to the native rhythms of the game.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Great post! Only three more days til the games get underway!!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Very fine post. Ah... to go back to the days when I was young thought the Big Red Machine could do no wrong. Even Bill Plummer and Darrel Chaney were perfect in my sight.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    .....I went to bed wearing my Reds pajamas.......
    Well, at least something hasn't changed for you.....

I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller.
    I wish I had a girl who looked good
    I would call her
    I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
    and a '64 Impala

Sorry. Great post, cincrazy. Everytime I hear those words "I Wish" that song pops in my head.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The season that I was your brother's age was the 1961 season (I turned six the previous December). I don't remember much about it except that since that was right around the time of reaching the age of reason, my impression was that the Reds were a really good team. I have no memory of the heartbreaking 50's teams and I was ready when the 70's rolled around and all the winning happened.

I think I always come into spring with hope, even though I recognize it's often misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The season that I was your brother's age was the 1961 season (I turned six the previous December). I don't remember much about it except that since that was right around the time of reaching the age of reason, my impression was that the Reds were a really good team. I have no memory of the heartbreaking 50's teams and I was ready when the 70's rolled around and all the winning happened.

I think I always come into spring with hope, even though I recognize it's often misplaced.
    Me too!
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Good post, fortunately.....or perhaps not I still hold some of that close to my heart about this time every year.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I came of age in the 1982-1984 stages. It's amazing that I wasn't permanently scarred baseball-wise for life.

Turn Off Ads?