Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dunn undergoes minor tweaking

Dunn undergoes minor tweaking

Dunn undergoes minor tweaking
    Reds notebook
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. - It's fair to say that if Brook Jacoby didn't have a history of success with Adam Dunn, Jacoby might not be the Reds' new hitting coach.

But Jacoby was a roving instructor in the Reds' minor league system when Dunn was a phenom, bashing his way to the big leagues.

Dunn's average has slipped from .266 to .247 to .233 over the last three years - this from a guy who hit .304 in 1,208 minor-league at-bats.

The Reds are hoping Jacoby can reverse the downward trend. Jacoby got a head start on the Dunn project by going to Houston to work with Dunn in January.

"We're trying to have less movement," Jacoby said. "It allows him to better recognize the pitch."

Not exactly a swing makeover.

"It's a slight tweak," Jacoby said. "I told him that. It's not going to rock your world."

Dunn is receptive to the change.

"I'm all for it," he said.

Jacoby was pleased with the change when he saw Dunn hit after reporting to camp.

"I was surprised when he came in," Jacoby said. "He's working on it. He wants to get it right."

THE ROTATION: Eric Milton will start the exhibition opener Thursday at 1:05 p.m. against the Pirates at Bradenton.

Kyle Lohse will start the second game Friday at 7:05 p.m. against his old club, Minnesota, in Fort Myers.

Aaron Harang will start the home exhibition opener Saturday at 1:05 p.m. against Minnesota, and Bronson Arroyo will pitch Sunday at 1:05 p.m. against Pittsburgh in Bradenton.

No word on who will pitch the intrasquad game Wednesday, but it will be probably be a lot of pitchers competing for the fifth spot.

Having Harang pitch before Arroyo is a strong early hint about who will pitch Opening Day.

Does the setup down here mean Harang starts the April 2 opener against the Chicago Cubs?

"I believe it means he starts the third game down here," Narron said.

Harang started Opening Day last year.

Arroyo was named the club's outstanding pitcher but you could make a case that Harang had a better year. He won more games (16 to 14), had more strikeouts (216 to 184) and pitched more complete games (6 to 3).

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...702260326/1071

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn undergoes minor tweaking

New coach works hard on hitting
    Click-2-Listen
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Monday, February 26, 2007

SARASOTA, Fla. It was midafternoon, and while most players were boarding their Aston Martins, Bentleys, Hummers, Mercedes and Cadillac Escalades, new Cincinnati Reds batting instructor Brook Jacoby was busy in the covered batting cages at City of Sarasota Sports Complex.

Assistant General Manager Scott Nethery sat on a bench watching and said, "That's one hard-working man. He's the last guy to leave every night."

Jacoby was working Sunday with catcher David Ross, infielder Mark Bellhorn and outfielder Bubba Crosby.

What manager Jerry Narron wants is for his team to cut down strikeouts, perform more adeptly with runners in scoring position and do better with situational hitting.

"Brook is an extremely hard worker, and he knows a lot about the mechanics of hitting," Narron said. "And he was in this organization in the past (minor-league hitting instructor), so he knows a bit about the system."

Jacoby worked with Adam Dunn during Dunn's early minor-league seasons, and Dunn was ecstatic when he heard Jacoby is back. Jacoby said one of his missions is to cut down Dunn's strikeouts.

"We know we have to cut down on our strikeouts and do better with our situational hitting," Narron said. "Brook emphasized those things during his interview process. If the players give him a chance, I know he can help them. Some guys are locked in where they are and don't want to make adjustments, rightly so in some cases. Other guys who want to work with him can be helped."

Dunn is willing to work with Jacoby.

The pitching lineup

Narron and pitching coach Dick Pole have the pitching lined up for the first four exhibition games, which begin Thursday after the team plays an intra-squad game Wednesday.

Eric Milton pitches Thursday against Pittsburgh at Bradenton; Kyle Lohse goes Friday at Fort Myers against Minnesota; Aaron Harang pitches the home opener in Sarasota against Minnesota; and Bronson Arroyo pitches at Bradenton against Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Lohse faces the team that traded him last midseason to the Reds, and Arroyo pitches against the team that originally drafted him.

That puts Harang on schedule to pitch Opening Day against the Chicago Cubs.

Nuxy plays golf

As promised, broadcaster Joe Nuxhall played golf Saturday, a couple of days after taking treatment for lymphoma.

"I would have shot 82 if I could have putted," he said.

Hearing that, Marty Brennaman said, "What'd you do, quit after nine?"

Short hops

All players on the 40-man roster took a mandatory drug test before Sunday's workouts.

Infielder Anderson Machado, the only player not to make it to camp on time, as a result of visa problems, arrived Saturday and worked out for the first time Sunday.

Hamilton native Ricky Stone, 32, pitched for the Reds briefly in 2005 and sat out last season, but he is back in camp with the Reds on a minor-league contract. "That's good," Narron said. "He would make a good pitching coach sometime down the road."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

• Hamilton native Ricky Stone, 32, pitched for the Reds briefly in 2005 and sat out last season, but he is back in camp with the Reds on a minor-league contract. "That's good," Narron said. "He would make a good pitching coach sometime down the road."

Nothing like the manager having confidence in your ability.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Hamilton native Ricky Stone, 32, pitched for the Reds briefly in 2005 and sat out last season, but he is back in camp with the Reds on a minor-league contract. "That's good," Narron said. "He would make a good pitching coach sometime down the road."

Nothing like the manager having confidence in your ability.
    I'm just waiting for the names Quentin McCracken and Mike Burns to be brought up.

I can see Q being a good coach on how to stick around MLB for years.
    Go Gators!

I believe Dunn has been receptive to every suggestion made by every hitting coach and every manager he has ever had.

Sure, Adam Dunn or any other hitter will for the most part put up better stats in AA as compared to MLB pitching.

Hitters need to be relaxed when they step into the box.

Sometimes we can think too much and cause more harm than good.

I wish they would just leave Adam alone at the plate. Help him with his defense if you must tinker with him at all.

This is the best news all off-season... Tweaking Dunn a bit, and getting a hitting coach that had him rocking the world in the minors..

Sounds good......keep up the work Dunner!!
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Sometimes we can think too much and cause more harm than good.

I wish they would just leave Adam alone at the plate. Help him with his defense if you must tinker with him at all.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Everytime I read the title to this thead I keep worrying. "Dunn undergoes...." Surgery is the first thing I think of... I don't know why. Can't we have something like "Dunn makes minor adjustments" or "Dunn makes minor adjustments to swing at the suggestion of new Reds hitting coach Jacoby to try to regain hitting prowess that he once posessed in his years in Reds minor league system while Jacoby was his hitting istructor." Shoot, I should become a beat writer.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

isn't "minor tweaking" redundant?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Watch Dunn's BA go up and his OBP go down. People will be on here praising Jacoby for improving Dunn's game.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm just waiting for the names Quentin McCracken and Mike Burns to be brought up.
    Imagine Q someday becoming a manager. Everytime he came to the mound, the scoreboard could say something like "RELEASE THE 'CRACKEN!"

Hey, it was funny someone who watched "Clash of the Titans" on cable as a kid.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?