Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notes: Hamilton awaits game action

Re: Notes: Hamilton awaits game action

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Don't get so defensive there Ltlabner. I didn't see the word "never" in Ron Madden's post.

From where I sit, I see exactly one offseason move that has improved the defense. Gonzalez. That's it. Conine doesn't improve the team defense anywhere he plays and he likely downgrades the defense when steps into the OF grass. The simplest, most logical improvement the team can make without making any trades is moving Junior to RF and playing Deno in CF. Hopefully that takes place soon and everyone's worries will be put to bed. However, you'll have to forgive folk's impatience when they keep reading stories claiming Conine is the 4th outfielder and Deno is fighting for a seat on the bench. It seems like a no-brainer move to most of us but every article we read makes us feel like it simply won't happen. It's just got people a little crazy, that's all.
    He didn't say 'never' just that they lacked the ability to do it at all. That's why I rattled off a list of moves regarding pitching and defense where they have been able to recoginize them.

I agree totally that the team seems to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back with a lot of moves. Why Deno hasn't really been given a chance? Why Conine is even being talked about in the OF when he should simply be in a 1B platoon with Hatte? Why do they not make it clear Jr is going to RF (although I think that he ultimatley will, but they have to play to his ego)? I agree with you and Ron Madden that there are lots of questions up in the air, some of which I wonder why we're even asking.

Wayne seems to favor putting a lot peices, some good, some bad in a bag and just shaking them up to see what works. That's not the best approach, but it's one that could work assuming you have the right tallent evaluator in a manager. That's where I think the "bring in a bunch of players to give the manager lots of choices" approach in spring training falls apart...our manager.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hamilton not worried about rust
    Suspensions and injuries have limited the Reds outfielder's play since the 2003 season.
    Click-2-Listen
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

SARASOTA, Fla. It isn't true that Josh Hamilton drinks Rust-Oleum for breakfast, but after being out of baseball for three years, it might work.

Ted Williams came back from two wars during which he missed nearly five full seasons and showed no signs of rust. But while Hamilton was considered the best player in the country when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays drafted him in 1999, it is unfair to put him in the same chair with Teddy Ballgame.

Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron is optimistic about Hamilton's comeback and said, "With somebody of ordinary talent, I'd say it wouldn't be possible to come back after being out of the game for three years, but Josh Hamilton is no ordinary talent."

Narron pointed out that before Hamilton disappeared into a drug and alcohol stupor, he was considered ahead of Tampa Bay outfielders Rocco Baldelli and Carl Crawford, budding superstars.

During the first two weeks of spring training, Hamilton has drawn the most oohs and aahs during batting practice against live pitching by making baseballs disappear into trees and onto streets beyond the outfield fences.

With exhibition games beginning this week, Hamilton gets to face opposing pitchers in game situations, and he is poised, cocked and aimed.

"Everybody seemed to worry about me seeing live pitching," said Hamilton. "The main thing I have to realize is that I've had time off, yes, but I can't look at it as a daily thing. I can't remind myself that I've had time off, or that just makes the grind worse. I have to act as if I've been playing the last three years."

Hamilton was suspended by Major League Baseball from February 2004 through half of 2006 and was reinstated June 30. He played 15 games for Class A Hudson Valley.

"I told the guys when I was in New York (Hudson Valley) that I felt better hitting there than I ever did before," he said. "I was calmer in the box, and maybe it was because nobody had any expectations and I didn't have any expectations on myself because I hadn't played for so long.

"Now it is kind of the same way," he added. "And actually, right now I feel better against live pitching than I do against the coaches. It's a reaction thing, and I don't have as much time to think about hitting. The worst thing you can do in baseball is think too much."

As Yogi Berra once said, "You can't think and hit at the same time."

Said Narron of Hamilton, "Defensively, he is a very good outfielder, a very good athlete. His arm is outstanding, and a lot of times Tampa Bay would move him to right field.

"He has great instincts in the outfield, and I'm looking forward to seeing him play," Narron added. "He is going to play a lot (in exhibition games) so we can speed things up for him, see if he is up for that challenge."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...22707reds.html

I just don't understand what Chris Denorfia has to do to get a fair shake from this organization. I really don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I just don't understand what Chris Denorfia has to do to get a fair shake from this organization. I really don't.
    Be in his 30's or have 5 tools.
    Go Gators!

This is just my honest and humble opinion how Jerry Narron values talent. He looks at players something like this.......

1. He has done it before, so he can do it again. ( even if he hasn't done it for years)

2. He has never done it before and because he is young and unproven he can't be counted on to ever do it.

If eighther David Ross or Brandon Phillips failed to get off to a good start last season, they would be in the same boat with Chris Denorfia this season.

I'll duck and cover now.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I predict Denorfia will be starting in CF on opening day...

for the Florida Marlins.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I predict Denorfia will be starting in CF on opening day...

for the Florida Marlins.
    Not a bad guess.

But I cringe at the thought of what we'd get in return for him. Talk about trading Denorfia low at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Not a bad guess.

But I cringe at the thought of what we'd get in return for him. Talk about trading Denorfia low at this point.
    A better return would likely be had by trading Freel.

That Conine acquisition is the baseball version of a stale beer fart on a hot day.

That Conine acquisition is the baseball version of a stale beer fart on a hot day.

Good stuff dsmith!

Agreed and I'd love to see the Reds move him before anyone else, but he's going nowhere.
    Go Gators!

That article didn't say anything about Deno not getting a chance. It was about Hamilton. I know people are talking about the depth chart on reds.com but who puts that up there? Maybe everybody else knows that Narron is the one updating the reds.com depth chart, but I don't. I'm seriously just asking if anyone knows, if it is Narron or the coaching staff then ignore the first part of my post.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The choice is clear. Either Narron and Krivsky give up on their pet project (Hamilton) or they ship an OF somewhere.
    Only an injury can defer that decision.

Kind of like the Cody Ross situation last year, where Ross was shipped out so we could keep McQuacko on the roster.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    That article didn't say anything about Deno not getting a chance. It was about Hamilton. I know people are talking about the depth chart on reds.com but who puts that up there? Maybe everybody else knows that Narron is the one updating the reds.com depth chart, but I don't. I'm seriously just asking if anyone knows, if it is Narron or the coaching staff then ignore the first part of my post.
    I doubt if it is Narron. Just someone's assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    That article didn't say anything about Deno not getting a chance.
    He's keeping five outfielders. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I know that Dunn, Griffey, Conine and Freel are going to be on the team.

Therefore, it's between Hamilton, who has never had an at-bat over A-ball, and Denorfia, who just hit .350 at AAA.

Turn Off Ads?