Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jeff Bagwell working as a coach for the Astros

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Jeff Bagwell working as a coach for the Astros

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Kind of interesting to see him work into a role like this so soon after retirement.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Bagwell working as a coach for the Astros

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Kind of interesting to see him work into a role like this so soon after retirement.

Hasn't several other players done the same thing as well? One that instantly pops into my head is Barry Larkin, or am I missing something here?

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    Hasn't several other players done the same thing as well? One that instantly pops into my head is Barry Larkin, or am I missing something here?
    I don't know how common it is, I just think it would be, as he said many times, weird to go from playing with these guys one day, to going into camp as a coach the next.

I really like the idea of having recent smart players working with the younger players. I hope the Reds continue and expand having guys like Soto, Browning, Concepcion, etc. involved during camp and as available during the year.

Gabe Kapler decided to retire to begin his coaching career, and the Red Sox immediately made him the manager of their low A team. That seemed a little unusual, but Bagwell's actually coaching his very recent former teammates right away, not minor leaguers, so that might be a little unusual, too.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Gabe Kapler decided to retire to begin his coaching career, and the Red Sox immediately made him the manager of their low A team. That seemed a little unusual, but Bagwell's actually coaching his very recent former teammates right away, not minor leaguers, so that might be a little unusual, too.
    No truth to the rumor that the Red Sox immediately changed the nickname of the Low A team to the "Sweathogs".
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    No truth to the rumor that the Red Sox immediately changed the nickname of the Low A team to the "Sweathogs".
    Ooo ooo ooo....Mistah Kottah!!

Turn Off Ads?