Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Sheldon?

Mark Sheldon?

I think I remember reading at the end of last season that Mark Sheldon was heading somewhere else and that another MLB writer would be assigned to the Reds.

Am I losing it?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mark Sheldon?

Sheldon covered the Twins for the past 5 years before moving to the Reds to fill the spot vacated by Anthony Castrovince who is now the writer for the Indians. So far I think Mark is doing a good job.

I like him too; just thought I read that somewhere.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I thought I remember something about this from last year. I don't feel like trying to go through the old threads to find it but you're not losing it, TB, I remember something too.

Yeah, I remember this as well. Also, a friend of mine emailed me a link to that actual job opening, you could apply for it on mlb.com and he ran across it. So I was positive he was gone, but I thought it would be by now. Not sure where he's going though, if anywhere.

He's actually about to be on mlb radio sometime in the next ten minutes.

He said Votto and Bailey are both impressing everyone. Think Votto toward the end of the year he said. Def. Next year.

Also, because I don't want anyone to worry, and I know you were, Anderson Machado has arrived after dealing with his visa problems.

Dunn is seriously rededicated. Wants to improve defense.

Said he thinks we're better off with A. Gon rather than Lopez. Even with the offensive subtraction.

Said he's pretty sure Jr. starts in center. Freel in right.

Freel's so reckless in center he sort of makes the other two outfielders a little nervous.

Said Reds like Deno but it's time for him to prove he can hit major league hitting.

Hamilton's looked great in all the workouts and live BP, but you really have no idea until games start. Thinks he'll get every opportunity and then some more.

He thinks Deno and Hamilton are competing for the same spot.

Said Denorfia's options are playing against him.

I'll be absolutely stunned if Deno is not starting in CF in April...in Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    He said Votto and Bailey are both impressing everyone. Think Votto toward the end of the year he said. Def. Next year.

Also, because I don't want anyone to worry, and I know you were, Anderson Machado has arrived after dealing with his visa problems.

Dunn is seriously rededicated. Wants to improve defense.

Said he thinks we're better off with A. Gon rather than Lopez. Even with the offensive subtraction.

Said he's pretty sure Jr. starts in center. Freel in right.

Freel's so reckless in center he sort of makes the other two outfielders a little nervous.

Said Reds like Deno but it's time for him to prove he can hit major league hitting.

Hamilton's looked great in all the workouts and live BP, but you really have no idea until games start. Thinks he'll get every opportunity and then some more.

He thinks Deno and Hamilton are competing for the same spot.

Said Denorfia's options are playing against him.
    Man, I am the biggest Junior fan here - I spent most of last year defending him against attack after attack. But the Reds have to move him out of Center. No ifs, ands or buts.

And Deno should be starting in Center. If you're going to give up offense at short for D then give it up in center as well. If Freel is too reckless then start Deno for his D. If you're gonna preach defense then do it everywhere, don't pick and choose where on the up the middle D you do it.

The corner spots can be used for offense, use the middle of the field for D.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    But the Reds have to move him out of Center. No ifs, ands or buts.
    I'm absolutely puzzled how an entire team of people, from coaching staff to front office, can be so willfully blind as to the enormous defensive liability they have sitting in center field.

I mean, seriously -- can't some reporter out there just ask Narron or Krivsky point-blank what tangible benefit playing Jr. in center and Freel / Denorfia in right (as opposed to the opposite) gives the team? Its not even an issue of offensive production, since the actual individuals playing doesn't change, just their location on the field.

There isn't a sane answer that can be given to support it.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm absolutely puzzled how an entire team of people, from coaching staff to front office, can be so willfully blind as to the enormous defensive liability they have sitting in center field.

I mean, seriously -- can't some reporter out there just ask Narron or Krivsky point-blank what tangible benefit playing Jr. in center and Freel / Denorfia in right (as opposed to the opposite) gives the team? Its not even an issue of offensive production, since the actual individuals playing doesn't change, just their location on the field.

There isn't a sane answer that can be given to support it.
    It's absolutely mind-boggling. I'd also love to know what their honest thoughts are on Denorfia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post

These two comments explain a lot to me. My father and I noticed several times last year where Freel would cross over to Dunn or Kearns side of the field and either nearly crash into them, or run infront of them to catch the ball. There was one time in particular where you could tell from across the stadium that Dunn was pissed.

So mix in your two star outfielders saying they are nervous along Freel's "gets worn out factor" with Narron's penchant for wanting to use him at 6 other positions and you end up with a FO/manager who are relucatant to say "CF is his".

Mix in Deno's struggles at the plate, with his youth and the inexplicable X factor (ie. why was he benched after one play) and you end up with a FO/manager who are reluctant to say "CF is his". (NOTE: I fully recoginize that Deno got a small number of AB's and not a fair shot, just trying to process in terms of Narron speak).

Mix in Hamiltons time away from the game with his lack of MLB experience and you end up with a FO/manager who are reluctant to say "CF is his".

Mix in the bizzare love of Conine in the OF instead of strictly at 1B with his experience and "ablity" to play other positions and you end up with a FO/manager who want to use him but are still reluctant to commit him to any one position.

Again, not saying any of these ideas are reasonable or correct, but I can definatley imagine Narron thinking them.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-27-2007 at 12:56 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Deno needs to prove he can hit major league pitching? Sure he has 150 at bats, but he his .278 in those at bats, that were spread across 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It's absolutely mind-boggling. I'd also love to know what their honest thoughts are on Denorfia.

I don't think there is even a need to read between the lines on that issue....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

How do you prove you can hit major league pitching when you're in Louisville?

Turn Off Ads?