Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Black Donnelly's

The Black Donnelly's

This program made it's debut last night after Heroes. It was completely awesome. I loved it. It may be my new favorite show. It does have a lot of violence in it, so if you don't like that kind of stuff this show may not be for you, but if you are a fan of mob movies or the like, you will love this show. There is an encore presentation of the pilot episode this coming Thursday. If you missed the show last night and are thinking about watching the show in the future, I highly recommend watching Thursday or TiVo/DVR'ing the pilot.

Can't say enough about this show. I thought I'd like it, and figured it'd be well written since the same guy that wrote "Million Dollar Baby" and "Crash" is writing for this series, but it is absolutely tremendous.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    University of Cincinnati

Re: The Black Donnelly's

I really liked the show as well however it does take some time to get going. Its awful slow to start, but gets a lot better when the show comes to an end.
    THE University of Cincinnati

RL, with your avatar I figured you would point out the fact that it co-stars Smalls (far left).

I agree with you, I thought the show was outstanding. The ending really cemented it as a show that I won't be able to miss from now on.

I already have too much on my plate Monday nights - Heroes, DVR 24. I'm just not sure I can find the time to add this show.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    RL, with your avatar I figured you would point out the fact that it co-stars Smalls (far left).

Indeed, it is Scotty Smalls from the Sandlot.

Smalls: Oh yeah, the Great Bambino. Of course! I thought you said the Great Bambi.
    Ham Porter: That wimpy deer?
    Smalls: Yeah, I guess. Sorry.

Puffy - you have to DVR this series and find time to watch it some other night. You will love it. Trust me.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

This show brings whole new meaning to the quote "You're killing me, Smalls!"

With The Sopranos finishing things up in the spring I need a new show. Is it that kind of mob show that it could fill my soon to be void?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    With The Sopranos finishing things up in the spring I need a new show. Is it that kind of mob show that it could fill my soon to be void?
    Yes. If you like the Sopranos, the movie Bronx Tale, or any of those kinds of shows, you'll enjoy this. Make sure you catch the encore presentation of the pilot on Thursday, or at least DVR it, so you understand who the characters are. Not saying you'll be totally lost if you missed the pilot, but you'll be better off if you see it.

I'd say it's more like Bronx Tale than the Sopranos. Here is the description on the show:

The Black Donnellys follows the exploits of four young, working-class Irish brothers. Their involvement in organized crime in New York City will put their life at risk and they will do anything to protect each other from the hostility between them and the others New York families who want their territory.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Crap, I was hoping this show would get panned.

GL

/off to set the DVR for Thursday ...

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Excellent show! I was really hoping to not be disappointed and I wasn't. Anybody else catch the F-Bomb they dropped? When the Donnelly's are standing outside the store and these couple kids walk between them and into the store. They say something to the kid and he says " F Off". I had to rewind to make sure I heard it. Wasn't aware that was acceptable at 10p on NBC.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Was that the F-bomb? When he said it that's what I thought the kid said but I just assumed I heard it wrong and he said "shove off" or something. I was not aware that it was allowed on network television at any hour.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Was that the F-bomb? When he said it that's what I thought the kid said but I just assumed I heard it wrong and he said "shove off" or something. I was not aware that it was allowed on network television at any hour.
    Its not - they'll claim it was missed and the FCC will fine them.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    They say something to the kid and he says " F Off". I had to rewind to make sure I heard it. Wasn't aware that was acceptable at 10p on NBC.
    After careful review of the clip via NBC.com I have noted that the small kid says bug off
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    This program made it's debut last night after Heroes. It was completely awesome. I loved it. It may be my new favorite show. It does have a lot of violence in it, so if you don't like that kind of stuff this show may not be for you, but if you are a fan of mob movies or the like, you will love this show. There is an encore presentation of the pilot episode this coming Thursday. If you missed the show last night and are thinking about watching the show in the future, I highly recommend watching Thursday or TiVo/DVR'ing the pilot.

Can't say enough about this show. I thought I'd like it, and figured it'd be well written since the same guy that wrote "Million Dollar Baby" and "Crash" is writing for this series, but it is absolutely tremendous.
    I'm really glad that you posted this, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it tonight. That was a great show. I thought I wasn't going to like it, but then the ending surprised me and I loved it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

the ending certainly sets up the show perfectly.........

It's nice to have a good "Irish" mob show
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Turn Off Ads?