Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Notes

Reds Notes

Don't like the sound of this. I have a feeling the Reds are planning on giving Conine a sizable number of OF ABs.

Final Reds outfield spots up for grabs
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Monday, February 26, 2007

SARASOTA The candidates are many and the available spots are few in the Cincinnati Reds outfield.

Manager Jerry Narron says there are four for-sures, "And it is going to be interesting for the fifth spot."

The anointed four are Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, Ryan Freel and Jeff Conine. The fifth spot is to be determined among Josh Hamilton, Chris Denorfia, Norris Hopper, Bubba Crosby and anybody who walks in off the street swinging a potent bat and carrying a magnetized glove.

What Narron likes about all the candidates is versatility and said, "Other than Dunn, all can play center field."

And he smiles sagely when asked whether Freel will play center or right and will Griffey play right.

"Freel is going to play a lot of right field AND center field this spring," said Narron. "Which one he'll play the most, I don't know yet. We have a lot of guys who can play center and we need to look at them a lot. Center field? I don't think it's unresolved at all. We have a a bunch of guys here who can play center. I'm going to play all our outfielders all over. Junior is not ready, but I hope he plays soon."

Narron smiled at the writer, realizing he was fishing for a clue as to whether Griffey will play right field, and said, "Are you looking for a scoop?"

Griffey in solitary
    When the Reds play an intrasquad game Wednesday, the only non-participating position player will be Griffey, still strengthening the left hand he broke in December.

Griffey does stretching exercises with the team and shags fly balls, then things change.

"They send me on the back lot, over to Field Z, where everybody stands and watches me with their arms folded," he said. "I'm still in solitary confinement and if don't get out soon they're going to need a strait jacket for me."

There is no due date for Griffey's release from solitary, but he still isn't taking batting practice.

Intrasquad probables
    Manager Jerry Narron insists his list of pitchers expected to participate in Wednesday's intrasquad game, "Is definitely subject to change, all tentative," but here is the lengthy list:

Bronson Arroyo (the only member of the first four in the rotation expected to appear), Calvin Medlock, Michael Gosling, Kerry Ligtenberg, Phil Dumatrait, Tom Shearn, Brad Salmon, Homer Bailey, Jason Kershner and Jon Coutlangus.

Just a big kid
    Dunn asked for two tickets to see the movie '23' at a downtown Sarasota theatre and was asked to prove his age with ID.

"What? How old do you have to be to see this movie?" said Dunn, 27. He was told he had to show ID because he bought two tickets. "Guess the guy thought I was buying a ticket for a 7-year-old. I've never carded in my life," he said.

The other ticket was for Griffey, who was standing next to the ticket booth, arms folded, laughing heartily.

Freel feedback
    Narron's answer to a question about Ryan Freel being a part-time starter and a plug-in player: "Ryan Freel is a starter. He just doesn't always start at the same spot. But this year he'll mostly start in center and right and won't be seen much in the infield."
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Notes

This is what I was saying to Ltlabner in the other thread. This is the kind of story that just kills me. Deno is headed for Louisville unless Hamilton goes on the DL. Criminal. Absolutely criminal.

And on what planet is Conine considered a viable option for the OF? I know I can't wait to see that Dunn, Griffey, Conine outfield. There will be a record number of balls rolling to the outfield walls in those games.
    Last edited by BRM; 02-27-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Yep, the same way they handled Edwin Encarnacion.

I don't get it.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

"Other than Dunn, all can play center field."

Conine in CF? Surely he's kidding.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    "Other than Dunn, all can play center field."

Conine in CF? Surely he's kidding.
    I caught that too. I hope he meant the guys vying for the 5th spot. Although lumping Dunn in there wouldn't make sense if that were the case.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    This is what I was saying to Ltlabner in the other thread. This is the kind of story that just kills me. Deno is headed for Louisville unless Hamilton goes on the DL. Criminal. Absolutely criminal.

And on what planet is Conine considered a viable option for the OF? I know I can't wait to see that Dunn, Griffey, Conine outfield. There will be a record number of balls rolling to the outfield walls in those games.
    Where I agree with the hand wringing is that Narron relies far too much on "mix and match versitility". While there is nothing wrong with having players that can be moved around if needed, he seems to abore having a set position for a player, much less a relativley set line-up.

Also, keep in mind that Jr could liekly be on the DL come April 2nd. It also doesn't preclude a trade that suddenly removes Freel, Hopper, Conine from the equation all together. While that doesn't excuse Conine getting time in the OF instead of strictly being a platoon at 1B it does open up the doors for Deno.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Where I agree with the hand wringing is that Narron relies far too much on "mix and match versitility". While there is nothing wrong with having players that can be moved around if needed, he seems to abore having a set position for a player, much less a relativley set line-up.

Also, keep in mind that Jr could liekly be on the DL come April 2nd. It also doesn't preclude a trade that suddenly removes Freel, Hopper, Conine from the equation all together. While that doesn't excuse Conine getting time in the OF instead of strictly being a platoon at 1B it does open up the doors for Deno.
    I don't think Jerry Narron could have managed the '27 Yankees to an AL Pennant.

There is no humanly reason that Jeff Conine should be gracing the OF grass at GABP or any other ball park in the United States. Unless, of course, there's an epidemic of mass casualities.

This also red flags me that 3 catchers are going to be carried.

I'm changing my signature. Free Chris Denorfia. We need t-shirts to give to the street vendors on Second Street.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I can't imagine there would a market at all for Hopper and Conine isn't going anywhere. He was Wayne's second biggest signing of the offseason. Junior or Hamilton could start the season on DL though and that would certainly change the OF outlook. A trade could also be worked out with the Rays where the Reds could keep Hamilton and send him down. Freel or Deno could be traded as well. Lots of things can happen between now and April, that's for sure.

This is so odd. Conine, I thought, was a first base platoon with Hatte. That means he is playing first, regularly, against lefties.

When exactly would he play the outfield? Against righties? In place of whom?

This could be the Reds' way of "finding room" for a third catcher or an extra infielder (Bellhorn). Call Conine an outfielder and only keep one other outfielder with him on the bench.

The Reds need to think this through.

As I have previously said in a number of posts, the Reds just do not seem high on Deno. I find this odd because he seems to have the attributes Krivsky likes. Makes contact. Plays defense.

It's only February and I'm already puzzled.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-27-2007 at 03:03 PM.

What Narron likes about all the candidates is versatility and said, "Other than Dunn, all can play center field."
    Conine can play CF???

[And he smiles sagely when asked whether Freel will play center or right and will Griffey play right.

"Freel is going to play a lot of right field AND center field this spring," said Narron. "Which one he'll play the most, I don't know yet. We have a lot of guys who can play center and we need to look at them a lot. Center field? I don't think it's unresolved at all. We have a a bunch of guys here who can play center. I'm going to play all our outfielders all over. Junior is not ready, but I hope he plays soon."
    That is encouraging.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

This quote leads me to believe that it's possible that Narron is not actually counting Conine as one of the outfielders. Because if you take him out that quote makes sense. He's never been quoted as saying who the set outfielders are. And I seriously doubt that Narron is considering Conine a CFer since he's never played a game there in his entire career. And I think all this excitement will be much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    This quote leads me to believe that it's possible that Narron is not actually counting Conine as one of the outfielders. Because if you take him out that quote makes sense. He's never been quoted as saying who the set outfielders are. And I seriously doubt that Narron is considering Conine a CFer since he's never played a game there in his entire career. And I think all this excitement will be much ado about nothing.
    I sure hope you are right on this one. If Conine isn't one of the chosen four Narron is referring to, Denorfia would likely be that 4th guy. I can at least hope.

I'm hoping that Conine serves mainly as a RH 1B platoon option with Hatteburg and PH. I'd like to see them keep Dunn, Griffey, Freel, Deno and Hamilton in the OF with Freel as an emergency INF.

If healthy, I think Phillips and Gonzalez can probably play most of the innnings in the INF with Castro and Bellhorn in reserve. Throw in Ross and Valentin and that makes 13. That would leave the 25th spot up for grabs between another INF reserve (Gill or Bellhorn?), a 12th pitcher, or another OF (Crosby or Hopper) a 3rd Catcher (Moeller ?- blech!) in order of my preference.

I'd love to see Hatteburg and Votto (@AAA) both get off to strong starts - deal Hatteburg at the deadline for something useful and bring Votto up to stay.

I think I'd lean toward (options for the 25th spot in parens)

Hatteburg/Conine
    Phillips/
    Gonzalez/Castro
    Encarnacion/Bellhorn
    Dunn/(Hopper)
    Denofria/Freel
    Griffey/Hamilton
    Ross/Valentin

Harang
    Arroyo
    Milton
    Lohse
    Sarloos
    (Cormier, Schackleford, Burton, Belisle, Ramierez, Santos)
    Majewski (if healthy)
    Salmon
    Bray
    Coffey
    Stanton
    Weathers

I think I might actually come down on the side of a 12th pitcher now that I look at it. Either Shackleford if you want a Loogy - Burton or Belisle (depending on how Burton impresses) if you want another righty.

I think they need to deal at least one BP arm for a prospect befor camp breaks. Somebody's bound to have some sore-armed relievers (hope it ain't us).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-28-2007 at 12:21 AM.

I think of it like this:

Griffey has said he'll move out of CF if the team finds a CF that is better than him.

Fine, Narron has said. In that case, everyone except Dunn is a CF. In fact, all of them will get playing time in CF. Hamilton will get a lot of it. So will Freel. And Deno. And we can't keep Hopper's bat out of the lineup.

Eventually, someone turns some heads by making a few catches, and then Narron is free to approach Griffey and say, "I think we found our next CF."
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    I think of it like this:

Griffey has said he'll move out of CF if the team finds a CF that is better than him.

Fine, Narron has said. In that case, everyone except Dunn is a CF. In fact, all of them will get playing time in CF. Hamilton will get a lot of it. So will Freel. And Deno. And we can't keep Hopper's bat out of the lineup.

Eventually, someone turns some heads by making a few catches, and then Narron is free to approach Griffey and say, "I think we found our next CF."
    Good post and an interesting thought. I have to admit though, the bolded part cracked me up.

Turn Off Ads?