Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hamilton:Is this the way we keep him in the minors?

Hybrid View

Hamilton:Is this the way we keep him in the minors?

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...er/default.asp

Update: Thanks to reader Cow Town, who sent in a clarification. We can't publish the comment because it part it was from Baseball America's site. But it pointed that Josh Hamilton can declare free agency if clears waivers and is offered back to the Rays because he's been placed on waivers once.

Is this the way we keep Hamilton? Don't know all the rules but it seems to me that we could try to send him down but have a deal with him to sign as a free agent.

Does anyone know the rules on this?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Re: Hamilton:Is this the way we keep him in the minors?

First we offer him back, if Tampa Bay declines, then he's free to be with us (I'm not certain about whether he's free agent at that point). Tampa Bay has indicated they'd take him back in a heartbeat (and I'm not certain working a trade will be as simple as PTBNL for Harris, but we'll see).

It's also unlikely that he would clear waivers if that's required, should Tampa Bay decline taking him back. I think we get the first shot if they decline anyway and we wouldn't not keep him.

Tampa Bay is salivating at getting him back. See Marc's blog for that.

Once the Reds expose him, he's done in a Redleg uni.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

From what I've heard, TB is ticked at the Reds over that Livingston situation where they had a pre-arranged deal with Philly to take him and the Reds busted them on it. I'd imagine if the Rays work out a trade with the Reds for Hamilton, it's going to cost the Reds.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

My question is the part about him "declaring himself a free agent." I seem to to remember this happening to someone before and this article seems to suggest that Tampa Bay might not have any power over him if he declares himself a free agent.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

As long as he can play above-average outfield defense, he'll have value to the team as Dunn & Griffey's late-inning replacement.

I'd say it's a virtual certainty that Hamilton makes the team this season. Hopefully its at the expense of the 12th pitcher. Given his arm in the outfield, Hamilton would probably have a better chance to retire batters from the mound than that 7th guy out of the 'pen anyway.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'd imagine if the Rays work out a trade with the Reds for Hamilton, it's going to cost the Reds.
    On the contrary...sounds like the Rays really want Hamilton back. So put 'em over a barrell.

The Rays can have Hamilton back for any player in their minor league system as long as they take Eric Milton, too.

Otherwise, let's just hold on to Hamilton for a while.

Reds and Rays = starving dogs

Hamilton = contents of dumpster

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

lol, fluff in fluff out. The "fetish" with Hamilton has become disturbing. News at 10 Rob.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

Hamilton is a powerball ticket.

Slimest of slim chances that he's worth a billion dollars, but more than likely you've just wasted the money you spent to buy it.

The odds never stop people from being excited though.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    On the contrary...sounds like the Rays really want Hamilton back. So put 'em over a barrell.

The Rays can have Hamilton back for any player in their minor league system as long as they take Eric Milton, too.

Otherwise, let's just hold on to Hamilton for a while.
    Actually, that is an interesting idea. They have a longjam at OF at ML level and could send Hamilton to minors. They also have some guys that really are not highly thought of due to attitude.

Wonder if they might be open to a discussion about Hamilton plus some other stuff for Elijah Dukes or Baldelli or Crawford, whichever one they want to move?

It's the clear waivers part...... it won't happen.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Turn Off Ads?