Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Summitt to return favor to Pearl-Lady Vols coach will make appearance at men's game

Summitt to return favor to Pearl-Lady Vols coach will make appearance at men's game

It's NOT what you think........

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Now it's Pat Summitt's turn.

Tennessee men's coach Bruce Pearl painted himself orange and cheered in the student section for the women's game against No. 1 Duke on Jan. 22. Pictures and video of Pearl were very popular online and on highlight reels for several days afterward.

Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt said then she was planning a similar gesture for a men's game, and now her time has come.

Summitt and her staff are planning a special appearance during Tennessee's game Tuesday night against No. 5 Florida.

Summitt didn't want to say exactly what she is doing, but she's dropped hints by mentioning her days as a cheerleader in seventh and eighth grade.

"I might come back and perform with my staff," she said Monday.

Pearl is in on the secret.

"I know what Pat is doing, but I'm not at liberty to say," he said. "I think (fans) are going to love it, and I think America is going to see a side of Pat Summitt that they haven't seen in a long time."

Summitt noted the appearance will be "a little out of character, a lot out of character actually."

Summitt, 54, is known for working players hard in practice and her icy stare on the sidelines during games. She's also the winningest coach in NCAA basketball history -- men or women -- with 940 victories.

"I think people see me as being really serious, and I've just always been a kind of person that likes to have fun and do things like I'm going to do tomorrow night. But I usually don't do it on camera in front of the whole country," she said. "I figured, why not?"

Pearl had promised on a joint radio show with Summitt that he would do his stunt.

Before the Lady Vols game, Pearl stood in front of the student section with four players and a manager to spell out "GO VOLS" on their chests.

"It's all for Bruce. The fact that he and his guys painted their chests. He made that statement and generated a lot of excitement to the community and obviously brought a lot of exposure to the university and I respect Bruce," Summitt said. "From the time he's been here, he's been nothing but supportive of the women's program."

Summitt said she was surprised at some of the criticism Pearl got within the coaching ranks.

"You stop and wonder what kind of relationship do they have with their women's basketball coach?" she said. "Because here there is a mutual respect and friendship. We give and take on facility requests. He comes to our games. I go to his games."
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Summitt to return favor to Pearl-Lady Vols coach will make appearance at men's ga

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    It's NOT what you think........
    Thank goodness for small favors
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Summitt to return favor to Pearl-Lady Vols coach will make appearance at men's ga

Pat's a legendary figure in women's basketball, so Bruce is smart to hitch his wagon to her star. The publicity they're generating for their university and programs with this stuff is incredibly valuable.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Pat's a legendary figure in women's basketball, so Bruce is smart to hitch his wagon to her star. The publicity they're generating for their university and programs with this stuff is incredibly valuable.
    24,000+ at a football school for a basketball game isn't too shabby.

The thought of Pat Summitt in a cheerleader outfit has just caused my internal organs to shut down.........ad;hqewp tfgufjalk;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I thought that was really a cool thing for her (and Pearl previously) to do.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The thought of Pat Summitt in a cheerleader outfit has just caused my internal organs to shut down.........ad;hqewp tfgufjalk;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    There are pictures too....

You are welcome.....

We are gathered here today, to lay to rest, our good friend, Johnny Footsool........
    Last edited by Heath; 02-28-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

You are welcome.....

We are gathered here today, to lay to rest, our good friend, Johnny Footsool........
    Whew.

I was thinking of the cheerleader outfit from "Heroes".
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Whew.

I was thinking of the cheerleader outfit from "Heroes".
    That's what I was thinking at first as well and I'm glad it wasn't

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I was thinking this would be a cool thing as well...until I heard Ms. Summit sing....ugh....these two need to can this supporting each other

Yup I hate Tennessee a little more now.

You are welcome.....

Reminds me of Chicken Lady.

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Reminds me of Chicken Lady.

Scarred. Scarred for life!

I love it!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=gallo/070228

I have heard "Rocky Top" dozens, if not hundreds, of times in my life while watching University of Tennessee athletics. And I've long thought it's the best fight song in all of sports.

But it wasn't until Tuesday night when I heard Pat Summitt sing a few bars of "Rocky Top" during the Tennessee-Florida men's hoops game that I really listened to the words for the first time. And I have to say -- it left me with lots and lots of questions.

Here are the actual lyrics to "Rocky Top," which was written in 1967 by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. My questions are in parentheses. And, please, if any Tennessee fans can clear up my confusion on all of this, I'd be much obliged. Seriously.

Wish that I was on ol' Rocky Top,
    Down in the Tennessee hills;
    Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top,
    Ain't no telephone bills.

(Wait … what? No telephone bills? Is the cost of phone service a huge problem in Tennessee or something? Can't your state legislature do something about that for you? And, if not, just cancel your land line and use your cell phone for all of your calls. That's what I would do.)

Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,
    Half bear, the other half cat;
    Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop,
    I still dream about that.

(Again, I'm confused. Honestly. So a dude's "girlfriend" was apparently some sort of soulless bear-cat hybrid? Yeah, if that was me I'd keep that relationship on the down-low way out in the mountains, too. But I'm different, in that if I had frequent dreams about being intimate with an animal, I sure as heck wouldn't brag about it in a song.)

(Chorus) Rocky Top, you'll always be
    Home sweet home to me;
    Good ol' Rocky Top --
    Rocky Top Tennessee, Rocky Top Tennessee.

(OK, I'm with you here. You like Rocky Top. I got it. And the brass build-up to this chorus is why I think this is the best song in sports.)

Once two strangers climbed ol' Rocky Top
    Lookin' for a moonshine still;
    Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top,
    Reckon they never will.

(Soooooo … am I to gather that you kill federal officers who investigate illegal production of alcoholic beverages, and that you're so blazed about it you see no problem singing it out to the world? I see. You Tennesseans have a bit of an anger problem, don't you? Now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't written this. Please don't take my honest questions the wrong way. I don't want any violence.)

Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top,
    Dirt's too rocky by far;
    That's why all the folks on Rocky Top
    Get their corn from a jar.

(Another moonshine reference. You like the drink, no? But for your own health, I must ask: You do realize corn ingested via moonshine does not count toward the recommended daily intake of vegetables, right? Same with fruit wine. It's not the same as eating a piece of fruit.)

(Chorus)

I've had years of cramped-up city life,
    Trapped like a duck in a pen;
    All I know is it's a pity life
    Can't be simple again.

(Yes, it sure is a "pity life" living in a city, what with reasonable phone bills, no access to frisky bear-cats, laws against killing federal officers and a dearth of corn-based alcohol. I mean, who wouldn't want to live on Rocky Top?)

(Chorus>

(One last time on the chorus … sing it loud and proud! That is, those of you who aren't passed out drunk, arrested, or mauled by the killing machine you call your girlfriend.)
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?