Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veteran's Committee Says NO again

Veteran's Committee Says NO again

No one elected again by the veteran's committee. I think it's time to shut this part of the process down since it seems like they will never elect anyone again from this committee. Santo was the closest just five votes short.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Veteran's Committee Says NO again

There is no excuse IMO for Santo and Bert Blyleven to not be in the HOF.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The veteran's committee is a joke, plain and simple.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

There goes Pete's chances....

As if he ever had one...

IMO Jim Kaat should definitely be in the hall of fame as well. Why he is not is beyond me. He has 283 career wins with a 3.43 ERA. He was probably only the best pitcher in his league once or twice but was by and far the best defensive pitcher of all time. He won 16 consecutive gold gloves. That is unheard of for a pitcher (or any player for that matter).

I'd add Blyleven and Katt but not Santo.

Rem

I read Joe Morgan's thoughts on the matter, and I have to vent a bit: Every time Joe Morgan opens his pompous, underinformed pie hole I cringe as a Reds fan. How could such an amazingly smart ballplayer turn into such an amazingly ludicrous bag of wind? OK, I'm better now...
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 02-27-2007 at 06:46 PM.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

The grumpy old men have spoken again...

...no one could possibly be as good as they were, and no one ever will be that good again! Why? Because they say so, that's why!!

They need to trash the whole electing process, and start over again.

All of the ballplayers mentioned above were HoF'ers, in my book. Blyleven, Kaat, Santo. Concepcion, too, once he gets off the regular ballot. There could be a different level of distinction, between those voted in regularly, and those voted in via 2nd chance, by the veterans committee.

It simply should not be so restrictive, like no one is worthy.

So, since this new voting process has begun, they have voted in no one?
    How long does this charade go on before they deem it a failure?

I'm fine with the veterans not voting in any of the players listed. Jim Kaat would have been the closest one in my mind but he also pitched in a very pitcher friendly period of time. I agree that ego may end up playing to large of a part for the veterans when it comes to voting but it should be a very rare case that any player gets voted in by the veterans committe. Players have 15 years to be voted on by the writers, if they do not vote a player into the HOF, then the probably do not deserve to be elected into the HOF.

An interesting scenario will be if the players implicated in steroid abuse go through the voting process and do not get voted into the HOF by the writers. What will the veterans take on players who used steroids be?

While I'm not surprised with the results - I believe the Vets' Committee will be modified again in some fashion before they elect somebody again - what does surprise me are the people who really believe that Ron Santo isn't a deserving Hall of Famer.

IMO, if someone's among the top 10 players all-time at their respective position, that player is a sure-fire Hall of Famer. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen anybody argue that there are 10 other third baseman in the history of the game who were greater than Ron Santo, and I bet those who feel Santo doesn't belong would find it very difficult at best to list 10 third baseman they believe were greater players.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    IMO, if someone's among the top 10 players all-time at their respective position, that player is a sure-fire Hall of Famer.
    Certainly you are welcome to your opinion but it's not one that I share. Third base is the most under representated position in the HOF if IRC. IMO, that's because there were simply not a lot of great players there. (Shrug) Being top 10 of a bad lot doesn't cut it for me.

When I think of a Hall Of Famer I think of someone that made me shake in my boots when my team was playing against him or someone on my team that I prayed would be given a chance with the game on the line.

Ron Santo never did that for me. (Shrug)

Rem

I say good for them for not electing anyone. The HOF is already watered down. It is for the great players.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Players have 15 years to be voted on by the writers, if they do not vote a player into the HOF, then the probably do not deserve to be elected into the HOF.
    Frank "Home Run" Baker, Orlando Cepeda, Bobby Doerr, Lefty Gomez, Goose Goslin, Burleigh Grimes, Ernie Lombardi, Johnny Mize, Hal Newhouser, Pee Wee Reese, Edd Roush, Amos Rusie, Enos Slaughter and Arky Vaughan all say "hi."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    While I'm not surprised with the results - I believe the Vets' Committee will be modified again in some fashion before they elect somebody again - what does surprise me are the people who really believe that Ron Santo isn't a deserving Hall of Famer.

IMO, if someone's among the top 10 players all-time at their respective position, that player is a sure-fire Hall of Famer. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen anybody argue that there are 10 other third baseman in the history of the game who were greater than Ron Santo, and I bet those who feel Santo doesn't belong would find it very difficult at best to list 10 third baseman they believe were greater players.
    Probably most of those people who believe that Santo doesn't belong in the HOF have no argument with Brooks Robinson being there, yet there wasn't much to chose from between Santo and Robinson in their respective primes.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?