Watch those 401k's!! It's crazy here on the floor today
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Re: Stock market crashing!

:runawaycr

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I'm holding a few China stocks, taking a spankin' on 'em today. Still up quite large in the ones I have, but will have to consider selling them if this kind of pressure keeps up.

PTR
    CTRP

GL

I have CHL which is down but not as bad as most of China.
    This is an interesting sell off though. A little bit of a correction has but speculated but I think the integration of global markets in this case is pretty remarkable.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I'm holding a few China stocks, taking a spankin' on 'em today. Still up quite large in the ones I have, but will have to consider selling them if this kind of pressure keeps up.

PTR
    CTRP

GL

I would hold onto them.

China is still the market to be in. Regardless of some short term panic fluxes, I'd say it's still a winning long term bet.

I'm heavy into international mutual funds - and I took a shelacking today as well. In the long term, it will go back up. It always does.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I would hold onto them.

China is still the market to be in. Regardless of some short term panic fluxes, I'd say it's still a winning long term bet.

I'm heavy into international mutual funds - and I took a shelacking today as well. In the long term, it will go back up. It always does.
    I am a little quicker on the trigger in this account (Roth IRA) since I don't have tax consequences with a sale.

I am up over 55% (still) in CTRP so it'd have to drop another 10% before I'd get too itchy about selling it. I was up 96% on it a few weeks ago! Doh!

If PTR keeps drops another 10% I might just sell them both.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Watch those 401k's!! It's crazy here on the floor today
    If you've done your homework and have an investing plan for the long run, then today should be just like every other day...anticlimactic.

In fact, I'm actually kind of happy to see a big sell-off today. I get paid tomorrow, so my retirement contribution will buy more shares. That should pay off quite handsomely in 30 years when I think about taking out money.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I would hold onto them.

I thought the bid wasn't put on mutual funds untill after closing.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    If you've done your homework and have an investing plan for the long run, then today should be just like every other day...anticlimactic.

In fact, I'm actually kind of happy to see a big sell-off today. I get paid tomorrow, so my retirement contribution will buy more shares. That should pay off quite handsomely in 30 years when I think about taking out money.
    For my 401K, sure.

My 401Ks won't be touched for years on end, however, my Roth accounts ride a finer edge. While your mutual funds may have lost a percentage point or two, I have individual stocks that have lost almost 10% today. That doesn't make today anticlimactic for me no matter how I slice it!

While I still think those stocks are worth owning it doesn't matter a hill of beans if nobody else thinks the same so I'll keep a good eye on them as I always do.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    For my 401K, sure.

My 401Ks won't be touched for years on end, however, my Roth accounts ride a finer edge. While your mutual funds may have lost a percentage point or two, I have individual stocks that have lost almost 10% today. That doesn't make today anticlimactic for me no matter how I slice it!

While I still think those stocks are worth owning it doesn't matter a hill of beans if nobody else thinks the same so I'll keep a good eye on them as I always do.

GL
    I was going to post almost the exact same thing. Losing 4% in all of your equity postions is really tough to look at. I'm not going to sell (in fact I'll probably buy some more tomorrow) but still not fun while its happening.

A little bit like watching the National Championship Game things year for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

Ditto, except payday is Thursday. I've got some big commissions on this check and I had already designated 50% of the gross to the 401. (See me later Mr. Taxman : )

Today certainly doesn't constitute a 'crash' (poor healine writing IMO). A market decline isn't even considered a 'correction' until it's lost at least 10%. Now, I'm an old geezer but even I didn't live through the 1929 crash. However, I did live through the 1987 crash and here are the numbers: The stock market crash of 1987 was the largest one day stock market crash in history. The Dow lost 22.6% of its value or $500 billion dollars on October 19 th 1987. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a crash!

Rem

You absorb the pain, ride it out, it's all about corrections. The Chinese market is hot; but maybe just a little too hot.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Unless this is a true inflection point, it's just another blip on the radar. Sounds like the China stumble screwed up the trading computers which screwed up things a bit more...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

being able to buy low is a beautiful thing...i can't wait for the opening bell tomorrow

Turn Off Ads?