Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be prepared for another stamp price increase

Be prepared for another stamp price increase

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/26/news...rss_topstories

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Americans may want to start bracing for another postage increase.

The Postal Regulatory Commission, an independent advising agency to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), recommended a 2-cent increase on postage for first-class letters and postcards, the agency said Monday.

The increase, which would bring the price to mail a letter first class to 41 cents and 26 cents for a postcard, was less than the 3-cent increase the USPS originally proposed last May.

The panel also backed the USPS' proposal to offer a "Forever Stamp", a stamp that would continue to cover the cost to mail a first-class, one-ounce letter even if the Postal Service instituted another rate hike.

Besides allowing consumers to hedge against future rate increases, the "Forever Stamp" would help eliminate the need to purchase 2-cent stamps and also help shrink lines at the post office, the Postal Regulatory Commission said.

"Adoption of this proposal is good for the Postal Service, postal customers and our postal system," Dan G. Blair, commission chairman, said in a prepared statement.

The earliest that consumers could see a rate increase for stamps would be in May, as the recommended rate increase and "Forever Stamp" still faces approval by the USPS' board members.

If the rate increase is approved, it would be the third time in five years that the Post Office has raised the price of a first-class stamp.

The proposed rate increase however goes beyond letters and postcards. The Postal Regulatory Commission also backed an increase in the price for packages and services like delivery confirmation, in addition to rates they charge non-profits and publishers of periodicals.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Be prepared for another stamp price increase

I said it the last 3 price increases, just go to 50 cents and be done with it.
    Go Gators!

What else is new. I'm in the process of switching all my payments over to electronic with internet banking, price of postage goes up every 6 months.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I said it the last 3 price increases, just go to 50 cents and be done with it.
    Lets get to 50 cents incrementally. I have no problem with a two cent increase. If the government still fully ran the post office, and didn't allow it to go semi-private, it would have been 50 cents 10 years ago.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I though the big story here was that little bit mentioned in the article, that the 41 cent price will remain eternally for a certain weight letter. I'm all for that.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Not really that concerned. I still mail all my bills (old fashioned type, I guess). I look at a lot of items and what I (and possibly you) pay and think $0.41 is not that bad. Some are old enough to remember the $0.05 Hershey bar. Others have heard the saying "remember when a Hershey bar cost $0.05?" What is a Hershey bar these days... about $0.70? How about a can or bottle of soda... about $1.00 or so? Anyone here go for that "fancy" Starbucks brew (I don't)... what is the price?

Approximately a 5% increase and the first in 5 years. Do you have the same job you had five years ago? Do you make at least 5% more than you did 5 years ago? A 1% increase per year makes your yearly increase (7% per year for this Time Warner user) for your cable TV seem ridiculous.

Price increases are never liked by consumers. But this increase is not bad when compared to other things that we "enjoy". Perhaps b/c we do not "enjoy" sending mail it makes it easier to complain. But when put in perspective it is not that bad. And as R4L stated, we do have alternative methods. A better alternative than switching from Pepsi or Coke to Big K soda!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I pay most everything electronically and I rarely send letters. I, litterally, still have remainders of stamps from before the last price hike plus the ones I had to go to the Post Office to buy in order to cover that increase.

Rem

"Stamps? We don't need no steenkin' stamps!"

I do a lot of internet banking transactions. I've been hooked for years. I even enrolled in a program with my employer's Credit Union, called a bill payment plan, where they deduct monies, on a weekly basis, and place them in various marked escrow accounts. They then send the bills out at the prescribed monthly dates. It's great, and I never have to worry about them. I am also able to go on-line and check their status, make sure they were paid, and print a statement.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

It's crazy to see how in such a short time of about a decade how much the internet has changed the landscape of mail.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Lets get to 50 cents incrementally. I have no problem with a two cent increase. If the government still fully ran the post office, and didn't allow it to go semi-private, it would have been 50 cents 10 years ago.
    I'll respectfully disagree. The "privatizers" are hell-bent on destroying a system that serves an incredibly widespread country for a still fairly affordable cost. They're intent on making the Postal Service useless so they can make it private and watch out if you're not in a major metropolitan area!

Dang, I just finished going through all of my $ 0.02 stamps from when it was raised from $ 0.37 to $ 0.39...

That good-for-nuthin' Lance Armstrong and his fancy sponsorship....
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

While I agree with you Redmetz about the importance of the the postal system I don't see this as any 'plot' by anyone. It's simply 'market forces' that people are chooseing to opt in to.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    That good-for-nuthin' Lance Armstrong and his fancy sponsorship....
    You mean the Discovery Channel?
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

We don't go through ten stamps a month, so the increase in those doesn't bother me. But I would assume that the cost of all the other USPS services will go up, as well. That means that those ebay purchases are going to cost more to ship.

The biggest problem I have with stamp prices is that they always seem to fall on odd cents (39 cents, 41 cents, etc.) When's the last time they fell on an even nickel, much less in an amount ending in zero?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    We don't go through ten stamps a month, so the increase in those doesn't bother me. But I would assume that the cost of all the other USPS services will go up, as well. That means that those ebay purchases are going to cost more to ship.

The biggest problem I have with stamp prices is that they always seem to fall on odd cents (39 cents, 41 cents, etc.) When's the last time they fell on an even nickel, much less in an amount ending in zero?
    No kidding. They keep talking about how expensive it is for the U.S. Mint to make pennies, but then the USPS makes sure we have to use more pennies.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?