Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Steroid Raid could implicate baseball players...

Steroid Raid could implicate baseball players...

well, one so far mentioned. Other athletes too.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6513326?MSNHPHMA

A raid on an Orlando pharmacy Tuesday — part of an ongoing New York state grand jury investigation — could expose widespread steroid use by professional and college athletes.

A report in the Albany, N.Y., Times Union said that more than two dozen doctors, pharmacists, and business owners have been or will be arrested in connection with the investigation of Signature Pharmacy, which has revealed pharmacies and Web sites that have made millions of dollars in profit by allegedly exploiting prescription laws. Investigators uncovered evidence that current MLB, NFL, college, and high school athletes may have been fradulently prescribed performance-enhancing drugs over the Internet.
    No specific names have been officially mentioned, but the Times Union reported that Los Angeles Angels center fielder Gary Matthews Jr. is a target, according to "sources with knowledge of the investigation."

Sources also told the paper that investigators recently questioned a physician with the Pittsburgh Steelers about an alleged purchase of around $150,000 of testosterone and human growth hormone.

"This is a criminal investigation, not an administative investigation," Lt. Carl Metzger, commander of the Orlando Metropolitan Bureau of Enforcement, said, according to the Times Union.

"I think that some of their business was legitimate," he said, adding that "much of it was illegal."

Signature Pharmacy last year did an estimated $10 million in business in New York, according to Albany County District Attorney David Soares.

"We're arresting young men on street corners every day for selling drugs," he said. "Signature did $30 million last year ... $250,000 in Albany County."

Internet-based pharmacies have become the new drug delivery system for thousands of customers, and Tuesday's raid of Signature Pharmacy — a business that did an estimated $36 million in business in 2006 — could expose a long list of sports figures, celebrities and others who have gone to the Internet for illegal drugs.

While surveilling the story last year, authorities claim to have seen a player from both the Philadelphia Eagles and the Washington Redskins entering the facility, though it was unclear why they were there.

The store is located in the heart of Orlando and contains a small retail shop that sells primarily bodybuilding supplements, a drug-manufacturing laboratory, and executive offices.
    "Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Pete Rose, when asked by David Letterman who he likes in the MLB playoffs:

"You sound like you're betting on baseball."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Steroid Raid could implicate baseball players...

Here's hoping LAA had an out clause in that monstrous contract they signed him to this offseason. Geesh

all of a sudden Matthews did well, very dubious

Canseco and Evander Holyfield have also been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    all of a sudden Matthews did well, very dubious
    The thing about last season for Matthews though was it was mostly about lucky BABIP....I haven't seen a perfromance enhancing drug that can effect that...

So his performance in '06 was not really dubious in and of itself.... its more accurate to say that it's dubious he'll be able to repeat his '06...
    Last edited by jojo; 02-28-2007 at 11:35 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Can't wait to see this list.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

So I must ask...

I thought MLB was testing everyone. Has been for a couple of years now. How can MLB players be using performance-enhancing drugs and not get busted by this wonderful testing that fans are led to believe is stopping the drugs use? Is the testing a joke? Are the drug manufacturers making stuff that is not detectable? The same goes for the NFL.

And if the reason has something to do with "the guy had a fraudulent prescription that seemed legit to the officials", then I am flabbergasted. No athlete in good health or bad health should be taking drugs that are considered performance-enhancers.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I just caught the tail end of a radio report down here in Houston and it stated that 3 doctors in Sugarland (a suburb of Houston) were somehow entangled in this mess.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    So I must ask...

Is the testing a joke? Are the drug manufacturers making stuff that is not detectable?
    Yes and Yes. HGH is not detectable by urine testing (MLB does not test blood).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?