Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Gary Matthews Jr. Linked To Steriods?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Gary Matthews Jr. Linked To Steriods?

An Orlando pharmacy being investigated in connection with steroids was raided Tuesday, and it was discovered that one of the alleged clients of the pharmacy was Gary Matthews Jr.

The Albany Times Union learned that investigators have uncovered evidence that testosterone and other performance-enhancing drugs may have been fraudulently prescribed over the Internet to current and former MLB and NFL players, as well as collegiate athletes. Also on the list of clients were admitted steroid user Jose Canseco and boxer Evander Holyfield. No other active major leaguers had their names leaked in the article.
    Albany Times Union/Rotoworld.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gary Matthews Jr. Linked To Steriods?

hmm makes you wonder since last year was his BEST season as a MLBP and it sure gave him a HUGE contract that to me was WAY over paid.. anyway guess we shall see how this comes out..

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    hmm makes you wonder since last year was his BEST season as a MLBP and it sure gave him a HUGE contract that to me was WAY over paid.. anyway guess we shall see how this comes out..
    The thing about last season for Mathews though was it was mostly about lucky BABIP....I haven't seen a perfromance enhancing drug that can effect that...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Albany Times Union/Rotoworld.com
    "Dad's gonna be p!ssed!"

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The thing about last season for Mathews though was it was mostly about lucky BABIP....I haven't seen a perfromance enhancing drug that can effect that...
    I have a hard time believing that. Although BABIP shows some luck, it could also show that you are hitting the ball hard. My BABIP if I played would be about .050, a much stronger, better player could have around a .300 because of his strength.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I have a hard time believing that. Although BABIP shows some luck, it could also show that you are hitting the ball hard. My BABIP if I played would be about .050, a much stronger, better player could have around a .300 because of his strength.
    Here's the thing though, neither his skill set nor anything within his control really changed or got noticeably better:

1. his power pretty much was where it has been the last few seasons,
    2. his HR/FB actually got worse,
    3. his walk rate decreased
    4. he didn't hit any more line drives (basically his batted ball tendencies were similar to his career averages)

None of these things point to an increase in strength underlying his improved performance.

The one standout difference: BABIP= .349

The dramatic increase in that metric alone can explain the increased BA, OBP, and SLG.
    Last edited by jojo; 02-28-2007 at 12:12 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here's the thing though, his skill set did nor did anything within his control really change or get noticeably better:

1. his power pretty much was where it has been the last few seasons,
    2. his HR/FB actually got worse,
    3. his walk rate decreased
    4. he didn't his any more line drives (basically his batted ball tendencies were similar to his career averages)

None of these things point to an increase in strength underlying his improved performance.

The one standout difference: BABIP= .349

The dramatic increase in that metric alone can explain the increased BA, OBP, and SLG.

That is a great post.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    That is a great post.
    Jojo has been coming up with a lot of great posts lately. I'd rep him if I could.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I don't get this at all. Matthews really did NOTHING special last year but put the ball in play more. Like JoJo said, everything else was typical of Gary.

Reading the article on SI.com it stats 2004 was when he was SENT through the mail a prescription for HGH. Which is why I am believing this is ulitimately a witch hunt for someone blaming a "fluke year" that CAN be repeated (Not nessicarly easy but it CAN be repeated) on HGH.

Honestly, I really don't care if GMJ did this or not. That situation is irrellavent if you look at 2004 HGH to 2006 numbers. Expecially if he DID get drug tested.

That would be like next year if Dunn hit .294 with 59 homeruns. Someone would scream steriods cause the JUMP from .242 to .294.

GMJ's average jumped from .254 to .313. Previous year .272, he's been at or around .300 for some time...

If he would have hit 40 homeruns, I would say you have a case..but whats the point.

Label this a witch hunt.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Lets ignore the drug issue for a moment.... Obviously Matthews has a good defensive reputation and the Angels needed a centerfielder but they gave him the $50M and five years largely because he was hit lucky....

Thats my point.

Mlbtraderumors.com is saying IsoP has been steady since 2004, when this was supposed to have taken place. Thats true, but did we forget that Texas is a hitters park?

He hit 9 homers in 2002 6 in 2003 and 11 in 2004, Thats not that big of a jump. and his IsoP only raised from .151 to .186 than has leveled out to .181/182 the last two years, again playing in a hitters park.

His defense isn't the greatest but he does love his flair of the dramatic catches, which is what kills me about this.

Jojo, basically and I think you will agree with me on this..

LAA has paid for a hyped defensive centerfielder, regardless. Which is what they need, did they over pay? Yes, frankly alot. But well, did they get what they want? Again, yes.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?