Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you play the lottery?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every week.

3 5.00%
  • No, never! What a waste of money!

17 28.33%
  • If it gets high enough, I'll spend a couple bucks.

27 45.00%
  • I'll join in if we have a pool at work to buy tickets.

4 6.67%
  • Who needs that money, I'm rich in other ways (I have RedsZone).

6 10.00%
  • Life is enough of a lottery for me, baby.

3 5.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you play the lottery?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Do you play the lottery?

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Interesting lotto winner and his story:
    http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/20/maga...ion=2007022807
    That guy had it together.

Nothing like the homeless dude who was on Oprah. They GAVE him $100.000 as an experiment and he pissed it away in 6 months (and is homeless again)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't consider the ~$50 I spend annually on the lottery a waste of money. It's entertainment for me. I love the dreaming about what I would do with that money.

I spend about that much a year on alcohol. I don't smoke. I've given up sugar. I'm married, so illicit sex is out. What am I talking about, I'm married, so all sex is out...

Heck, it's my only vice.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    I don't consider the ~$50 I spend annually on the lottery a waste of money. It's entertainment for me. I love the dreaming about what I would do with that money.

I spend about that much a year on alcohol. I don't smoke. I've given up sugar. I'm married, so illicit sex is out. What am I talking about, I'm married, so all sex is out...

Heck, it's my only vice.
    I can understand that. If you get a kick out of it, then who's anyone to say it's a waste?

I don't get a similar thrill, so to me it's just pissing away money.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I have zero interest in gambling, and dating a guy with a serious gambling addiction sent that down to the negatives. Even hearing about a large pot just turns my stomach. Years of being poor has also made me very cheap and I don't spend my money unless I can get a guaranteed satisfying result from it. So poor that I beg to differ with this statement:

If you are poor, playing the lottery makes sense. That $1 you spend will not change your life. The payoff will.
    One dollar is a huge difference to me most of the time, let alone a dollar a week! Ahhh!!!

That said, creek is right: a vice is a vice, and if this is where people choose to spend their money, have at it. I spend too much money on alcohol. It's just personal taste.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

no way, waste of money IMO

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Have heard it described as a tax on people who don't understand probability and statisitics.
    So people who play the lottery are also the same people who complain about Dunn's K rate?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Your odds wouldn't be much different if you'd never been born.
    You just blew my mind

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    If you are poor, playing the lottery makes sense. That $1 you spend will not change your life. The payoff will.
    But it's not simply about a dollar. According to some past studies that I have read though, the lottery really hurts the poor the most. They don't have the money to be playing the lotto to begin with, yet are constantly playing it in hopes of cashing in. And again - what are the probabilities?

The rest of society that does play the lotto, for the most part, can afford to throw away 10-15 bucks a week on tickets. It's not gonna hurt them overall. The poor not so much.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-28-2007 at 08:57 PM.

I play occasionally. Very occasionally. I'll join the pools at work when we have them ... haven't had one in years ... and a few times a year I'll buy one or two. I may have bought 5 all last year.

It's fun to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But it's not simply about a dollar. According to some past studies that I have read though, the lottery really hurts the poor the most. They don't have the money to be playing the lotto to begin with, yet are constantly playing it in hopes of cashing in. And again - what are the probabilities?

The rest of society that does play the lotto, for the most part, can afford to throw away 10-15 bucks a week on tickets. It's not gonna hurt them overall. The poor not so much.
    You hit the key GAC. Playing the lotto for kicks when you can afford to light the money on fire is one thing. Playing the lotto as a financial scheme or retirement plan when you don't have much disposable income anyway is a bad, bad idea.

One of my buddies won about $450,000 on his first lotto ticket ever purchased. He only bought one because his friends all were buying them and they pressured him to.

I've bought about two in my life, and only when people at work get a group together to buy them. I could not live with myself if they all got rich and moved to the bahamas and I was still plugging away at the office.

If the people at work take up money for lottery tickets, I am not able to pass it by. If they overcome the one in eleventy-billion odds to win and I didn't throw in a buck, I can't imagine the overwhelming angst that I'd live with the rest of my life. The dollar is worth my peace of mind...however twisted it may be.

I think my wife throws a couple of bucks at it every week. It's worth that if only just to daydream for a few minutes.

No Mega Millions winner last night.

Tuesday drawing is $340 million.

Cash option would get you somewhere in the neighborhood of $136 million.

All for a $1 wager.

That's a pretty small ante for a great big pot o' cash.

i was part of a pool last night...we had $200 worth of quick pick tickets and only won back $6 ...yet, somehow i can't wait for tuesday drawing

Big ticket sales, Mega Millions jackpot hits record
    Tuesday, March 06, 2007

NEW YORK — Lottery machines cranked out tickets at a dizzying rate Tuesday as the Mega Millions game that includes Ohio and 11 other states drew bettors with a jackpot estimated at a record $355 million.

Because of the huge prize and publicity, the participating states agreed to move Tuesday night's drawing from the game's usual home in Atlanta to New York's Times Square.

Although this would be the biggest Mega Millions jackpot, there was a $363 million jackpot in 2000 when it was known as the seven-state Big Game. That prize was split by two winners.

The competing Powerball game — available in 29 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands — has the record for the largest single winner with $314.9 million, on Christmas Day.

The odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot are about 1 in 176 million. Besides Ohio, Mega Millions tickets are sold in California, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Virginia and Washington state.

On the Net:

Mega Millions: http://www.megamillions.com/
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?