Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike & Mike in the Morning reports Cardinals talking to Clemens agent!!!

Mike & Mike in the Morning reports Cardinals talking to Clemens agent!!!

ARGGGG that would suck if the Cardinals can get Roger Clemens to think about going to St. Louis!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike & Mike in the Morning reports Cardinals talking to Clemens agent!!!

Will never happen dont worry about it. No way Clemens goes anywhere but New York or Boston. I guess Houston is still a maybe but with Pettitte gone I would think it is unlikely.

My stupid reasoning, I don't care. Eventually age is going to catch him. He is going to require a massive contract for even 4 months of pitching. If the Cardinals want to hamstring themselves around the trade deadline when their offense will probably need a bump, let them.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Yawn.

I heard Charles Barkley talking about him on PTI. He was saying Roger retire, you can only pitch 6 innings now. Its time to retire. He made a very good point. Clemens can only throw so many effective pitches in a game. You would be paying a huge premium for him to pitch 6 innings a game over a shorter season.

Man Pills

Money's no real object to the Cards--and it'd only be a one year commitment. Plus it would likely put them over the top again. If I were the Cards, I'd do it; you'd be beating back any and all challenges from upstarts like the Brewers, say. Also it might allow the Cards to keep Wainwright at closer (which is where he'll have the greatest success). Seems like a slam dunk for the Cards if they can pull it off.

I just wish that Roger Clemens would just go away. Do we really care?

By the way, Roger Clemens record in games that I attended: 0-4.

Buster Olney came on and basically put that rumor to bed. He said that Clemens wouldn't go to an NL team...esp. an Astros rival.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Buster Olney came on and basically put that rumor to bed. He said that Clemens wouldn't go to an NL team...esp. an Astros rival.
    I'd say it's pretty unlikely. But it's not impossible.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Kind of off-topic, but I think it'd be interesting to see Clemens pull a Smoltz and play the full year all while reducing his workload by giving closing a shot. I know it would never happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing how it would work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd say it's pretty unlikely. But it's not impossible.

Apparently he has some kind of personal services contract with the Astros. I'm not sure what that means, exactly. But he's spent all of training camp with Houston, throwing BP mostly.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Apparently he has some kind of personal services contract with the Astros. I'm not sure what that means, exactly. But he's spent all of training camp with Houston, throwing BP mostly.
    It means he can work out with the team while not being property of the team. He had the same thing last year. It eliminates the Astros from any liability if The Rocket suffers an injury at their complex. I'm sure Clemens is just still technically an "Astro" to oversee the development of his son.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    My stupid reasoning, I don't care. Eventually age is going to catch him. He is going to require a massive contract for even 4 months of pitching. If the Cardinals want to hamstring themselves around the trade deadline when their offense will probably need a bump, let them.
    Here's the kicker though.... last year, over the 115 innings he pitched, Clemens would've been the best starter on the Reds considering xFIP, K/G,BB/G and GB%. I don't think adding a #1 starter via a short term commitment by simply throwing money at him is all that unattractive of a proposition if you're in a pennant race.... In fact, it's a great idea.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Man Pills

No silly little contract is going to prevent Clemens from accepting $20 million dollars next season from the Cards if the Stros can't match it.

this was posted this afternoon on mlbtraderumors.com

"Cards Hope To Woo Clemens
    The big story this morning: Walt Jocketty and co. met at length with Roger Clemens's agent Randy Hendricks yesterday. Other clients' of Hendricks were the main topic, but Roger's name came up. Unlike this winter's Barry Bonds rumor, Jocketty isn't denying interest.

The Cardinals have some extra money after missing out on various pitching targets this winter. Clemens is quite a longshot, but it's certainly fun to speculate. This is the single move with the largest possible impact for St. Louis. Adding 100 innings of the Rocket would probably improve the Cardinals by 3-4 wins, based on PECOTA's projected WARP. And Murray Chass just stopped reading this post.

Aside from Clemens, the Cards could pursue Carl Pavano, Jon Lieber, or Brad Penny. Penny is the possible impact arm and of course would draw much more interest if he's available. His overall impact would probably be similar to that of Clemens, but the bounty is to be paid in prospects. Colby Rasmus, Jaime Garcia, and Chris Duncan could be targets of L.A.

Turn Off Ads?