Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: As an overall OF, where do you view Chris Denorfia on the Reds' Depth Chart

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Best Overall

3 2.46%
  • 2nd Overall

10 8.20%
  • 3rd Overall

39 31.97%
  • 4th Overall

32 26.23%
  • 5th Overall

26 21.31%
  • 6th Overall

7 5.74%
  • 7th Overall

5 4.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you honestly see Chris Denorfia on the Reds' Depth Chart?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Where do you honestly see Chris Denorfia on the Reds' Depth Chart?

Snowballing from discussions concerning Josh Hamilton, Jeff Conine, Norris Hopper and Chris Denorfia, I'm curious to see where the RedsZone faithful view the worth of Chris Denorfia to the Reds.
    Last edited by Highlifeman21; 02-28-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: wrong jersey number, apparently

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Where do you honestly see Chris Denorfia on the Reds' Depth Chart?

I went with 2nd overall as Denorfia is our best defensive option, and that helps close the gap that might exist offensively between him and Griffey.

Dunn is clearly the best option.

Chris Denorfia will be the starting outfielder at least three times a week.

One thing about Freel is the more you play him, the more he wears down. His performance in August and September showed that. Freel is at his best when he starts about three games a week. His reckless abandon in the field catches up to him and needs occasional rest.

And speaking of rest, you figure either Denorfia or Freel will spell Griffey a day or two each week. So Denorfia will get his playing time unless he flops in spring training and the Reds are forced to use Hamilton more than they like.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

He's jersey #27 this season, or so I've heard. Just saying....

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Chris Denorfia will be the starting outfielder at least three times a week.
    He should start nearly every day, at least at the beginning of the season but I'd settle for 3 days a week. However, I'm not convinced he'll even be on the opening day roster at this point.

If it were up to me, he'd be the everyday CF and have until the All-Star break to prove himself. Given Jr.'s consistent injury problems (not his fault, but he's guaranteed to miss at least 30 games) I picked Denorfia for #2 overall.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

That's hard to answer. Do we count Conine as an OF? I'm assuming we are Freel after the reports I see. The thing is he might be 6th, but say Scott H and Phillips were injured then Conine goes to 1st and Freel to 2nd and then he would move up dramatically. Then Griffey goes down and he's playing daily. I think he gets a fair shake, but if he has options he may not even make the squad. A lot depends on Hamilton which I am very curious to see. If he can play defense and has some speed his power and the fact he has to make the team may tie the Reds hands. Gonig to be fun!

I just saw the poll results. 3rd! I don't believe he is. I have in this order right now.
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Freel
    Conine
    Hamilton
    Deno - yes, I'm the guy who has him sixth.

I'm going by interviews I've seen with Narron and the fact I think Hamilton gets a shot with Deno havng options. Just my thoughts. I may be wrong, but I'm trying to be honest.
    Last edited by Reds1; 02-28-2007 at 10:48 AM.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

I don't see putting him ahead of Dunn, Griffey or Freel. To me he's a solid #4 right now. I also see Conine primarily as a 1B as opposed to an outfielder, so I don't have the same concern as others that Conine being on the roster means Denorfia is off it.

Adam Dunn - LF
    Chris Denorfia - CF/RF
    Ken Griffey Jr - RF/CF
    Ryan Freel - Everywhere
    Josh Hamilton - Everywhere
    Jeff Conine - Corners. only behind Hamilton becuase I have no faith in either to hit much, but Hamilton I give the defensive edge by far.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    That's hard to answer. Do we count Conine as an OF? I'm assuming we are Freel after the reports I see. The thing is he might be 6th, but say Scott H and Phillips were injured then Conine goes to 1st and Freel to 2nd and then he would move up dramatically. Then Griffey goes down and he's playing daily. I think he gets a fair shake, but if he has options he may not even make the squad. A lot depends on Hamilton which I am very curious to see. If he can play defense and has some speed his power and the fact he has to make the team may tie the Reds hands. Gonig to be fun!

I just saw the poll results. 3rd! I don't believe he is. I have in this order right now.
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Freel
    Conine
    Hamilton
    Deno - yes, I'm the guy who has him sixth.

I'm going by interviews I've seen with Narron and the fact I think Hamilton gets a shot with Deno havng options. Just my thoughts. I may be wrong, but I'm trying to be honest.

I agree with you that the list you have there is where Narron and the FO have rated Denorfia.

On my team, I'd start him everyday in CF, at least until the middle of June, and give him a chance. He's earned it, and he's the best defensive OF we have. If he doesn't produce by mid-June, fine, move him on.

I ranked him 3rd, ahead of Freel. On my Reds team (if I'm the GM), Freel is a 3-4 day a week player, not a starter. So I'd rank him 4th, with Dunn and Junior first and 2nd.

For a team that has preached defense non stop in the offseason, the apparent demotion of Denorfia, at least by the FO in the press, is puzzling at best.

Deno should start in center. Hamilton has done nothing in his pro career to be placed ahead of Deno. Griffey needs to settle into RF or his future spot, first base.
    Stop! Heisey time!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Hamilton has done nothing in his pro career to be placed ahead of Deno.
    Exactly. I'm as fascinated by Hamilton's incredible natural gifts as anyone else, and certainly advocate keeping him around.

However, Denorfia has pretty much done everything right for this organization in his career. At 26, he deserves a full and fair shot to be the starting CFer.

Even if it takes Hamilton all season to get up-to-speed in hitting major league pitching, in my view he can still contribute in important ways--as a defensive replacement for Dunn and Griffey, as a pinch-runner, etc. It's not like not having that 7th awful relief pitcher or 3rd hopeless catcher is going to kill the Reds' chances.

If anyone should go, it's Conine, who chances are will be completely worthless this year.

Number 3, I guess loyalty keeps JR in 2nd for me, but Deno is certainly 100% better then the rest at this point
    Go Gators!

Whoops, I misread the question, I was rating him as a CF'er. Overall, yeah I'd rate him #3 like Krono, still have to stay loyal to Jr. and Dunn is clearly more "valuable" overall. As far as CF options go, however, he's my #1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Deno should start in center. Hamilton has done nothing in his pro career to be placed ahead of Deno. Griffey needs to settle into RF or his future spot, first base.
    That doesn't mean he won't be ahead of him. If Narron really does have 4 of his 5 OF's locked in, if Hamilton shows anything in Spring Denorfia will start in AAA.

I'm not saying I agree with that, but that's what it is going to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?