Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's Wily?

Where's Wily?

Like the swallows of Capistrano, the Bosox fan base asks the same questions long asked by Reds fans for years.

He has a bat, needs a position
    By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Staff | February 28, 2007

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Where to put Wily Mo Peña? Right field? Center field? DH? First base? Tight end? Power forward? Bench?

And how to get him 400 at-bats on a team that already has three front-line outfielders, the best DH in baseball, and an everyday first baseman?

Peña is one of the more intriguing players in the Red Sox clubhouse. He's bigger than John Coffey of "The Green Mile" fame and hits longer home runs than anyone who has ever played at Fenway. Folks are still talking about his 498-foot shot in Cincinnati in 2005, and the 451-foot thunderbolt in Kansas City last summer. And let's not forget the heat-seeking missile he hit at Fenway -- the one that hit the back wall of the Monster seats and bounced almost all the way back to the shortstop.

Pena hit 11 homers in 276 at-bats with the Sox last season, when he missed about six weeks after having surgery on his left wrist. He hit 26 homers in 336 at-bats with the Reds in 2004. He has 62 major league home runs and he's 25 years old. Big league pitchers have virtually stopped throwing fastballs to him.

Then there's his defense. His attempts to play the difficult green acres in right field in Fenway have produced some memorable moments, including Opening Day at Fenway last April when he tipped a Frank Catalanotto fly ball into the visitors' bullpen. Keith Foulke didn't hide his disgust. The replay lives forever.

"I don't care if they show that video," Peña said yesterday. "When you do something wrong, people just jump on you. They are going to talk about that. What can I do? The fans were nice to me when I was in Boston and I have to be nice to them back.

"They say I look better in center field. I just have to get better in all three positions because last year I played all three and this year is going to be the same thing. That's why I work with DeMarlo [Hale] on defense. I want to get better in right and left field, but center is more easy for me."

"He's done a great job working at it," said manager Terry Francona. "He stays after every day and works with DeMarlo, and his attitude toward getting better has been awesome. And that's what we want him to do. He overthrew a few cutoff men today, but he knows it."

At 6 feet 3 inches, 245 pounds, Peña is one of the largest men in baseball history to play center field. But he makes for good insurance should Coco Crisp struggle or suffer another injury.

"Wily Mo is our fourth outfielder and hopefully will get a lot of at-bats," said Francona. "But hopefully not too many. That would mean somebody got hurt."

"They've been talking like I'm going to get an opportunity for more at-bats," Peña said. "I'll be happy if I get 400-something at bats. Last year it was the same thing, but I have to be ready whenever they need me."

He says he has a first baseman's mitt, but he didn't bring it to Florida. Not part of the plan.

Favorite home run last year?

"I guess the one in Kansas City [off Luke Hudson Aug. 8]," he said.

How's he handling the curveball diet?

"It doesn't matter what's coming," he said. "I have to be ready."

Peña will be in right field tonight when the Sox kick off their Grapefruit League campaign at City of Palms Park against the Minnesota Twins.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Where's Wily?

I miss Wily Mo.....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I miss Wily Mo.....
    Ditto

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I really want to see him go somewhere where he'll get a chance to shine.

"Wily Mo is our fourth outfielder and hopefully will get a lot of at-bats," said Francona. "But hopefully not too many. That would mean somebody got hurt."
    Wily is looking a lot like he's on the Bo Jackson career path.

Count me in on missing Wily Mo. I wish he would come into his own.

I saw a quote yesterday from him raving about Dice-K's stuff.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Wily is looking a lot like he's on the Bo Jackson career path.
    He worked out at the NFL Combine?!

Wily Mo Pena is one of the most overrated players in Major League Baseball. The guy can hit some absolute blasts, but he's awful defensively, and his number's against right-hander's leave much to be desired. The only reason people like him is because of his monster home run shots. And don't get me wrong, they left me of us in awe, but I'm sure Big Baby from LSU could hit some monster shots, but I would never want to see him do anything else. We got a top notch pitcher for him, and while he still has potential, I'll take a pitcher like Arroyo any day over a hitter with yet to be realized potential. We got Arroyo for the next few years, who will win us 15 games a year and help solidify our rotation. Arroyo, IMO, is much much more valuable than Wily Mo will ever be.
    Last edited by cincrazy; 02-28-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ED44 View Post
    Count me in on missing Wily Mo. I wish he would come into his own.

I saw a quote yesterday from him raving about Dice-K's stuff.
    Not to get too far OT, but it looks like the Reds might get their own glimpse of Matsuzaka-mania on March 17 if the Sox rotation stays on it's current schedule.

If Wily Mo can stay healthy himself, there are worse 4th OF jobs than one where he only has to wait for JD Drew to get hurt or Manny to take a spontaneous vacation.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Wily Mo Pena is one of the most overrated players in Major League Baseball. The guy can hit some absolute blasts, but he's awful defensively, and his number's against right-hander's leave much to be desired. The only reason people like him is because of his monster home run shots. And don't get me wrong, they left me of us in awe, but I'm sure Big Baby from LSU could hit some monster shots, but I would never want to see him do anything else. We got a top notch pitcher for him, and while he still has potential, I'll take a pitcher like Arroyo any day over a hitter with yet to be realized potential. We got Arroyo for the next few years, who will win us 15 games a year and help solidify our rotation. Arroyo, IMO, is much much more valuable than Wily Mo will ever be.
    No one said they wanted the trade back, just simply that some of us miss Wily Mo. With that said, Big Baby couldnt hit anything near what Wily Mo did. He may be raw still, but he has talent. He also is a decent-good centerfielder. Last season WMP did hit .301/.349/.489. What is wrong with those numbers? I would take them every day of the week.

I'd love to have Wily Mo's bat back in the lineup. If the Sox would bite on a package of Cormier, Freel, and a prospect, I'd be all for it. Move Dunn to first, Hatte to the bench, and suddenly we have the makings of an offense again.

Haunted by walks

Let me be first to ask if they can rewrite his contract and send him to the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by maniem View Post
    Move Dunn to first,
    Here we go.................

Isn't this one of the sins?

-Dunn to first

-Marty vs. Dunn

-Dunn K's to much

etc.........

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Let me be first to ask if they can rewrite his contract and send him to the minors.
    Ya know, that's an interesting idea. I wonder why that hasn't been thought of yet.

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Here we go.................

Isn't this one of the sins?

-Dunn to first

-Marty vs. Dunn

-Dunn K's to much

etc.........

Ok, leave Dunn in left and have Wily Mo play 1st. Finding a way to get both of them in the lineup at the same time would greatly benefit a club that sorely needs more firepower, imo.

Turn Off Ads?