Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 121

Thread: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,573

    Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    If it goes through, it could alter the NL Central...


    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...d-for-cubs.php

  2. #2
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,054

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    [QUOTE=BCubb2003;1251494]If it goes through, it could alter the NL Central...

    Yeah they make start spending indiscriminately.

  3. #3
    Mod Law zombie-a-go-go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miskatonic University
    Posts
    4,302

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    [QUOTE=klw;1251495]
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    If it goes through, it could alter the NL Central...

    Yeah they make start spending indiscriminately.

    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

  4. #4
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,572

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Him up in the TV booth...

    High comedy, I hope he gets them.
    Go Gators!

  5. #5
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,438

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Bud doesn't like boat-rocking, let alone people like Cuban who stand up in the boat and yell about the direction it's headed. I'll be surprised if this gets very far past the rumor stage.
    /r/reds

  6. #6
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,572

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Bud doesn't like boat-rocking, let alone people like Cuban who stand up in the boat and yell about the direction it's headed. I'll be surprised if this gets very far past the rumor stage.
    Good point.
    Go Gators!

  7. #7
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,139

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Bud doesn't like boat-rocking, let alone people like Cuban who stand up in the boat and yell about the direction it's headed. I'll be surprised if this gets very far past the rumor stage.
    True, but he'd be great for the game. MLB needs a higher profile in the midwest.

    I'm with Roy on the Ted Turner analogy.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  8. #8
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,438

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    True, but he'd be great for the game. MLB needs a higher profile in the midwest.
    I agree that he'd be a force for positive change and force the spotlight away from the coasts sometimes in a game that desperately needs to have a spotlight there. I just don't see the fit, since he has to realize that current MLB ownership and leadership is about as eager to change the status quo as the Vatican is.

    Owner Mark would probably tear his hair out in frustration and sell out in 6 months after a few meetings with this batch of owners and Bud.

    Forget selling a team to him. They should hand him a 10-year $500 million contract to be the next commissioner and drag the game into the 21st century. It would be the best half-billion MLB ever spent.
    /r/reds

  9. #9
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,118

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I agree that he'd be a force for positive change and force the spotlight away from the coasts sometimes in a game that desperately needs to have a spotlight there. I just don't see the fit, since he has to realize that current MLB ownership and leadership is about as eager to change the status quo as the Vatican is.

    Owner Mark would probably tear his hair out in frustration and sell out in 6 months after a few meetings with this batch of owners and Bud.

    Forget selling a team to him. They should hand him a 10-year $500 million contract to be the next commissioner and drag the game into the 21st century. It would be the best half-billion MLB ever spent.
    Doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

    Then again, I don't care who is commish as long as it's not Bud Selig, and they actually do something to make their product more accessible.

    As it stands right now, Major League Baseball could really give a rats patoot about their customers.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

  10. #10
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,902

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Bud doesn't like boat-rocking, let alone people like Cuban who stand up in the boat and yell about the direction it's headed. I'll be surprised if this gets very far past the rumor stage.
    I don't know about this.. When was the last time a the highest bidder for a team got turned down? I can't remember it happening. If Cuban is the high bidder, my guess is that the owners will approve the sale. The other owners will want their highest bid approved when they sell.

    Bud is all about money. If Cuban bids 10 million more than the next highest bidder, that raises the value of all franchises. The Cubs will go to the highest bidder, IMO.. even if that's Cuban.

    Edit: didn't realize this was an ancient thread... Thought it was another offer....
    Last edited by REDREAD; 06-09-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  11. #11
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,438

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I don't know about this.. When was the last time a the highest bidder for a team got turned down? I can't remember it happening. If Cuban is the high bidder, my guess is that the owners will approve the sale. The other owners will want their highest bid approved when they sell.

    Bud is all about money. If Cuban bids 10 million more than the next highest bidder, that raises the value of all franchises. The Cubs will go to the highest bidder, IMO.. even if that's Cuban.

    Edit: didn't realize this was an ancient thread... Thought it was another offer....
    I thought you were trying to put me in the position of arguing against myself. With the benefit I didn't have back then of having seen Cuban keep his mouth shut about MLB and say nothing but nice things about the sport for months, I do have to disagree with my earlier post.
    /r/reds

  12. #12
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,902

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I thought you were trying to put me in the position of arguing against myself. With the benefit I didn't have back then of having seen Cuban keep his mouth shut about MLB and say nothing but nice things about the sport for months, I do have to disagree with my earlier post.
    Sorry man, I didn't realize this thread was so old...
    But you are free to argue with yourself.. that would be fun
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  13. #13
    You're soaking in it! MartyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    I think he would be great for Baseball...Love the guys passion in the NBA...sure he is a bit of a sideshow but he sparks the fans to let them know he loves the team too!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

  14. #14
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    Hey it's his money.

    If he wants perpetual losers to waste money on, go ahead.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  15. #15
    Member harangatang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,545

    Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

    I didn't think the Cubs could get any worse.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25