Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I know it's apples-to-oranges, but the Mavs were a perennial doormat before Cuban took over. Now look at them. I like the Cubs just the way they are, thanks.
    That's how I feel too. The Mavs were the laughingstock of the NBA (and that's saying something for that era) and Cuban's $$$ and drive turned that team around.

Goat or no goat, he'd turn the Cubs around and dominate the NL Central for years ala Turner's Braves.

To think of 10-15 years of insufferable Cubs fans coming to GABP is more than I can bear. I'd rather stick red-hot pokers in my eyeballs.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Bud doesn't like boat-rocking, let alone people like Cuban who stand up in the boat and yell about the direction it's headed. I'll be surprised if this gets very far past the rumor stage.
    True, but he'd be great for the game. MLB needs a higher profile in the midwest.

I'm with Roy on the Ted Turner analogy.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Cuban knows sports and knows how to build a team. The Mavs are good for a reason. I'd hate to see him get the Cubs.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Cuban knows sports and knows how to build a team. The Mavs are good for a reason. I'd hate to see him get the Cubs.
    I agree, Puffy. Cuban is a winner, whether you love him or hate him, the guy knows what he's doing, and he's driven.

He'd be great for the Cubs and Chicago, bad for the Reds and the White Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Yep. I wish he wanted to buy the Reds.

oy vey...i really don't want to see and hear this guy on the tv/radio everyday in chicago

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Yeah, woulda loved to see him buy the Reds.

Don't think we would have to complain about him not opening up the wallet.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Dice-K, Arroyo, Harang, Zito, and Lohse??

Wouldn't have been a bad starting rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

In some ways, he reminds me of a Bill Veeck with money. I may not always agree with what he says, but I like the way he spends time sitting with the fans and the fact that he holds chats and responds to fans' emails. Not many owners make themselves that accessible to their customers. I would hate to see him own the Cubs, more out of jealousy than anything.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

One Man Army

Rumor's Been Shot Down:

The Cubs are not about to become Cuban's, contrary to an Internet report.

Mark Cuban, the billionaire blogger, entrepreneur and owner of pro basketball's Dallas Mavericks, on Wednesday shot down a Radar Online report that said he is "is set to offer $625 million to buy the Chicago Cubs from Tribune Co."

"Not true," Cuban said by e-mail.

Radar quoted "a source familiar with the matter" as saying Cuban is "desperate to buy the Cubs" and "wants this so bad." It said it got no response from Cuban, who responded to a Chicago Tribune inquiry concerning the report in less than 15 minutes.

"I have no idea where they got their info," Cuban said.

Tribune Co., which owns the Cubs, the Chicago Tribune and other media properties, is currently exploring options to boost shareholder value.

I was going to say what Razor said, I just wish it was the Reds.

I don't think Cuban is as much of a sideshow as the media makes him out to be. I don't think being who he is instead of throwing a suit on, that he probably doesn't even own makes him a sideshow. He goes to games, cheers on his team, even follows them on the road and says what he thinks when he is passionate that something needs to change.

More people should challenge the NBA refs like he has. For all the critism of NFL umps and the baseball strike zone is amazing how freely the NBA refs get off. They are absolutely horrible. Anyone seen Violet Palmer? If she was a college ref do you think she'd be doing Duke and NC, Wisconsin and Ohio State? So why is she doing NBA games? Where did she get her training? Same with all these refs. A good portion of them are younger than most college refs at the big time level. Where are they coming from? And they are the best the world has to offer? Cuban is dead on. But David Stern has this policy that you can't criticize and for some reason the media follows right along. The games are so inconsistently officiated it is beyond belief most of the time.

Bad for our Reds but good for baseball. Cuban is the best owner in sports and I'm not sure who is second.

Big time into sabrmetrics. I'd venture to say he has more sabr dudes on his staff than half the NBA teams combined. As a Reds fan -he would be way difficult to compete against, but he'd be good for baseball.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    True, but he'd be great for the game. MLB needs a higher profile in the midwest.
    I agree that he'd be a force for positive change and force the spotlight away from the coasts sometimes in a game that desperately needs to have a spotlight there. I just don't see the fit, since he has to realize that current MLB ownership and leadership is about as eager to change the status quo as the Vatican is.

Owner Mark would probably tear his hair out in frustration and sell out in 6 months after a few meetings with this batch of owners and Bud.

Forget selling a team to him. They should hand him a 10-year $500 million contract to be the next commissioner and drag the game into the 21st century. It would be the best half-billion MLB ever spent.
    /r/reds

Ive said this on here many times but im a baseball fan before Im a Reds fan. I know its really hard to say but I think he would be good for baseball. Im all for it. It would give quite a bit of publicity to the NL Central since winning a WS and representing the NL in the WS for 3 years hasnt hardly got any publicity. That being said there is no way Bud lets this happen.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I agree that he'd be a force for positive change and force the spotlight away from the coasts sometimes in a game that desperately needs to have a spotlight there. I just don't see the fit, since he has to realize that current MLB ownership and leadership is about as eager to change the status quo as the Vatican is.

Owner Mark would probably tear his hair out in frustration and sell out in 6 months after a few meetings with this batch of owners and Bud.

Forget selling a team to him. They should hand him a 10-year $500 million contract to be the next commissioner and drag the game into the 21st century. It would be the best half-billion MLB ever spent.
    Doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Then again, I don't care who is commish as long as it's not Bud Selig, and they actually do something to make their product more accessible.

As it stands right now, Major League Baseball could really give a rats patoot about their customers.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Turn Off Ads?