Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorec...ticleID=206071

Report: Cuban wants the Cubs

Dallas, TX (Sports Network) - The Chicago Cubs are on the market and one of the reported suitors is the controversial owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban.

According to a report from the Dallas Morning News, Cuban has applied to Major League Baseball for a potential purchase of the Cubs. The franchise was put up for sale by the Tribune Company in April.

"I submitted the application and have no comment on the rest," Cuban was quoted by the paper in an e-mail response.

Cuban has owned the Mavericks since January 2000 and is considered one of the top owners in the NBA, although he has often clashed with league commissioner David Stern over numerous topics. Stern has fined Cuban several times, particularly over officiating.

The Tribune Company bought the Cubs, as well as historic Wrigley Field, in 1981. The sale also includes a 25 percent interest in Comcast SportsNet Chicago.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Mark Cuban would be great for MLB.

The NL would now have a financial rival to the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Mark Cuban would be great for MLB.

The NL would now have a financial rival to the Yankees.
    I wouldn't want anyone actually waking the Cubs up but I agree he would be good for MLB.

The old guard would hate him, and thats a good thing.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    I wouldn't want anyone actually waking the Cubs up but I agree he would be good for MLB.

I would give Cuban 3 years to turn the Cubs around, and then look out.

I'm sure the Cubs would quickly approach a $200M payroll, and you'd see a lot of guys coming and going on that roster.

I don't think the good ole boys will let him the MLB club. I would be really surprised if the owners would approve a sale to Cuban no matter how much money he has. Just too flamboyant for them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

We'll see how much 'expansion' of the game Bud truly wants by how this vote goes. Cuban would raise the presence of baseball everywhere due to his antics.

As the saying goes, theres no such thing as bad press.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I would give Cuban 3 years to turn the Cubs around, and then look out.

I'm sure the Cubs would quickly approach a $200M payroll, and you'd see a lot of guys coming and going on that roster.
    Why would Cuban get Three years to turn around a team that already has a 100 million dollar payroll and Mr. C only gets one before being hung out to dry?

Just askin...

I think Cuban would be SO GREAT for the NL and for the game of Baseball...the game need an innovator another Comisky (spelling?) who isn't afraid to use and harness the sideshow...I think the one thing Cuban did with the Mavs is he showed the local fan base that it is okay to be passionate about the game, the team and the players...he sold a lot of merch and tickets the first couple years to a franchise that was still laughable for the better part of the 10 years prior to his purchase.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I wonder if Cuban would sit behind home plate and yell at the umps?

I don't see Bud or the owners approving this if they can get away with it
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't see Bud or the owners approving this if they can get away with it
    No, they wouldn't take a chance on his unpredictable behavior. They will have options for potential owners who will toe-the-line.

And, in this age of arbitration and as the fan of a smaller market team, I would not want to see him handing out further irresponsible contracts that would drive up the comparative contracts of marginal talent. I do not believe he would be good for baseball.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

While I don't really care for Cuban and really dislike the Cubs, it might make for very exciting baseball on the Northside again.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    While I don't really care for Cuban and really dislike the Cubs, it might make for very exciting baseball on the Northside again.
    Tim Kujerkian (sp?) and Peter Gammons say there is no possible way the major league owners would vote to allow Cuban to be a baseball owner. Further, Jerry Reinsdorf does not like Cuban and would fight his move to buy the team.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Tim Kujerkian (sp?) and Peter Gammons say there is no possible way the major league owners would vote to allow Cuban to be a baseball owner. Further, Jerry Reinsdorf does not like Cuban and would fight his move to buy the team.
    I think for that reason I support Cuban's bid to buy the Cubs.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I think it might be interesting to have an outspoken owner like Cuban who is unafraid to speak his mind. I'm not concerned about him blowing up salary structure because the current owners have been doing that themselves for a while. I actually think Cuban has a good understanding of customer service and realizes that the fans should always be the #1 concern. That kind of owner sounds much better than the blowhards who talk of "the good of the game," but really mean "the good of myself."
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Cubs took on a lot of debt this past winter. You'd think MLB would be happy to find an owner withdeep pockets to take over for an owner that wants out.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?