Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

Re: Mark Cuban to offer $625 million to buy Cubs

No way on earth MLB will allow this.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    No way on earth MLB will allow this.
    You're probably right, unless he manages to strike a nostalgic chord in the owners who remember Ted Turner. Cuban is actually a lot less buffoonish than ol' Ted was. He's every bit as canny a media mogul, though.

The fact that Cuban is keeping quiet about his bid after submitting his bid strikes me as a very clear demonstration that he's willing to play by the rules. That should impress the old guard.

I'm just amazed that Cuban wants to be in their club. I never figured he could tolerate MLB's tendency toward inertia.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-13-2007 at 11:37 PM.
    /r/reds

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Cuban was kicking the tires of his potential purchase at yesterday's game against the Reds.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mario...jay18.article#

Fan who would be king

Bleacher bum Mark Cuban had a blast rooting for the Cubs on Monday night. If he was as popular in the suites as he was in the seats, he could own the place

September 18, 2007
    BY JAY MARIOTTI

He probably has a better shot of winning ''Dancing With The Stars'' while doing the funky chicken, or the Bud Selig Macarena, than he does of owning the Cubs. But Mark Cuban was in the ballpark anyway Monday night, screaming and shaking with all the other loons, watching in his old-time Cubs jersey as the team he's trying to buy pulled off a ninth-inning, grandstand-rattling comeback victory.

''What a [bleeping] game,'' Cuban e-mailed from somewhere in Wrigleyville after the 7-6 classic, which kept the Cubs a game ahead of Milwaukee in what has become a hot, little race in a lukewarm division.

» Click to enlarge image
    Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban (in Cubs jersey) celebrates with Cubs fans in the right-field bleachers on Monday night.
    (Tom Cruze/Sun-Times)

For the record, Cuban didn't storm the field to confront an umpire or lean into the dugout to advise Lou Piniella. Nor did he race out and jump into the moving pile of Cubs at second base after Mark DeRosa's game-winning hit, which followed a leadoff walk to Ryan Theriot, a single by Derrek Lee and a slicing triple to the wall by Aramis Ramirez that eluded the diving lunge of Cincinnati center fielder Norris Hopper. But I'm sure he wanted to. And we can assume he was the only billionaire/prospective owner partying among the masses, enjoying a meaningful autumn at Wrigley.

''Its a blast,'' Cuban e-mailed in the first inning, much too busy for apostrophes.

And where was he sitting? Please don't say a corporate suite.

''Right-field bleachers,'' he e-mailed in the fourth, after Cliff Floyd and DeRosa hit back-to-back homers to give the Cubs a 3-1 lead.

Were the fans mobbing him, urging him to buy the Cubs and save them from the Tribune Co. clones threatening to buy them?

''Just having fun,'' he e-mailed in the fifth, after the Reds scored three runs to take a 4-3 lead off the maddening Rich Hill.

I looked through the binoculars and couldn't find him. I asked an usher about his whereabouts, only to get a dumbfounded look. So I shot another e-mail: Which is more likely to happen, him winning ''Dancing With The Stars'' or buying the Cubs?

''Me hitting a home run,'' he responded in the sixth, after Hopper leaped and smacked against the ivy to make a sensational catch on a Ramirez blast.

A good luck charm?
    And how passionately was he rooting for the home team? ''All of us have Cubbies jerseys on,'' he wrote, after the Reds had taken the lead in the sixth and $136 million baserunner Alfonso Soriano was thrown out at third on a groundball to short.

There is nothing like the seventh-inning stretch, as we've seen with Eddie Vedder and John Cusack, to make the inconspicuous celebrity stand out in the crowd. Ten rows above the UnderArmour logo on the wall, there was the would-be next owner, in his vintage jersey, singing and raising his fist and high-fiving two of his best friends, then posing for pictures with fans. Has Dennis FitzSimons, the faceless CEO behind the Tribune Co., ever sat in right field? Cuban, the Internet billionaire, would rather be a fan than a suit.

''U spying on me?'' he wrote in the eighth, just before the great rally.

Here we thought Cuban was just Bartman with a private plane, the black cat with a posse. Seems he's a good-luck charm. Maybe he should stick around. Better, maybe they should let him buy the team.

How interesting he would appear on a day the Los Angeles Times reported that Tribune Co. -- the Times is owned by the Tribsters, friends -- may break off its sports-related assets to maximize value in the Tower's Great Garage Sale. That means the Cubs would be offered separately in a package with Wrigley Field, land around the ancient ballpark and a 25 percent share of the local Comcast SportsNet operation, slightly improving chances that Selig will keep his grimy little nose away from the sale and not hand-deliver the franchise to a local clout group headed by his buddy, John Canning, an 11 percent owner of the very Brewers who are battling the Cubs. That is the underlying conflict of interest in this Interstate 94 scrum between a large American city and a little town with no discernible skyline or relevance, other than cheese, sausage and Selig's frozen custard stand.
    /r/reds

That is the underlying conflict of interest in this Interstate 94 scrum between a large American city and a little town with no discernible skyline or relevance, other than cheese, sausage and Selig's frozen custard stand.

Not too snobby, is he?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Why would Cuban get Three years to turn around a team that already has a 100 million dollar payroll and Mr. C only gets one before being hung out to dry?

Just askin...

I think Cuban would be SO GREAT for the NL and for the game of Baseball...the game need an innovator another Comisky (spelling?) who isn't afraid to use and harness the sideshow...I think the one thing Cuban did with the Mavs is he showed the local fan base that it is okay to be passionate about the game, the team and the players...he sold a lot of merch and tickets the first couple years to a franchise that was still laughable for the better part of the 10 years prior to his purchase.
    Cuban and his deep pockets would get 3 years. Castellini's pocket aren't as deep, and I can't for the life of me imagine them growing exponentially in depth.

I'm fine with Bob C as an owner, just as long as the payroll doesn't start to decrease. Keep it at 75+ Mil and I can't really complain.

MLB should embrace Cuban to help grow its brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not too snobby, is he?
    Hey, he was one of us at one point.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I've said it before, but Mark Cuban as the Cubs owner just scares the bejeezus out of me. I can see him transforming the Cubs into a real juggernaut.

For MLB, that's a great thing. For Reds fans, that's bad news.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I've said it before, but Mark Cuban as the Cubs owner just scares the bejeezus out of me. I can see him transforming the Cubs into a real juggernaut.

For MLB, that's a great thing. For Reds fans, that's bad news.

It's not like the Cubs were hesitant to spend money during the offseason or during the season as witnessed by Z's contract. All it's gotten them is 1 game in 1st in baseball's worst division. Hardly world beaters.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I'd rather Mark Cuban hold out a few years before getting into MLB. After Fidel Castro finally goes the way of Strom Thurmond, we can annex Cuba as state #51 and Mark can be in charge of the new team in Havana.

They'll be Cuban's Cubans.

One Man Army

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Dirk would play centerfield

i would love this, though i'd rather see him buy the Pirates.

while i think Cuban would be a good owner, i think it would take a few years to really come around; primary reason being that basketball is entirely a team sport as opposed to baseball.

however, the end of time is more likely to happen than Bud allowing someone as interesting as Mark Cuban to even have a legitimate entertaining of owning an MLB franchise.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Dirk would play centerfield
    Are you sure you want Dirk guarding the basket?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Are you sure you want Dirk guarding the basket?
    at his height, first base all the way.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    at his height, first base all the way.
    Be like Richie Sexon

Turn Off Ads?