Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Simmons released

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Brian Simmons released

BENGALS RELEASE LB BRIAN SIMMONS

The Bengals today terminated the contract of LB Brian Simmons, releasing him to free agency.

Simmons, a 10th-year NFL player for 2007, was a Bengals first-round draft choice in 1998 and has played all nine of his previous seasons for Cincinnati. He has played in 121 games with 115 starts, compiling 896 total tackles, 23 sacks, 11 interceptions, 43 passes defensed, 14 forced fumbles and 8 fumble recoveries. He has scored three touchdowns, two on interception returns and one on a fumble return.

“This was not an easy decision to make,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “Brian has been a fine player on the field, and he has been a great example to all of our players as a team leader and a citizen.

“But a new NFL year is about to begin with the start of free agency, and this allows us to best position our team under the salary cap to move forward for 2007. It will afford us options for signing other players who are a better overall fit, given the strengths and needs of our current roster. This could include our own unsigned players, or players from other teams.

“We thank Brian for his years of great service for the Bengals, and we wish him the very best. We know he has been a favorite among our fans, and it has been our privilege to work with him.”

Simmons missed five games and three additional starts in 2005, due to a neck strain, but he came back to play in the last five games and start the last three. He finished the year with 11 games played and eight starts, and ranked fourth on the team in tackles (78) while leading the front seven in passes defensed (8).

He led the Bengals in tackles in 1999 and finished second on the team in six other seasons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brian Simmons released

Mixed thoughts on this action.

I'm glad because it creates more cap space and allows the younger LB's more PT.

Yet Brian Simmons was one of the model citizens on this team when character has become such an issue.

Someone will pick him up, no doubt.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I'm with you Hot Corner, it's a mixed emotions kind of thing. Sim was [apparently] one of the good ones based on what we know of him, and a solid player.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

So, um, who plays linebacker next season? Odell Thurman? Miller and Johnson are RFAs who are likely back, they are adequate. Thurman and Pollack are in limbo and are doubtful they ever play in Cincy again. Brooks and Nickelson are young and have frankly not done anything yet. I am really hoping that the Bengals pick up something exciting in free agency.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I thought Caleb Miller did quite well - wasn't he in the Top Ten in the AFC in tackles for a while?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    So, um, who plays linebacker next season? ... I am really hoping that the Bengals pick up something exciting in free agency.
    Adalius Thomas?

Hmmm the ratio of thugs to good people just got a little lower.

Good luck Simmons.

I think Odell will be back next season in the middle, and they will draft one in round 2.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Didn't see that one coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I thought Caleb Miller did quite well - wasn't he in the Top Ten in the AFC in tackles for a while?
    He's really good at tackling running backs 6-8 yards down the field. I've seen no signs from that guy that he's NFL quality.

Senor Votto

Damn I thought he was released from jail or something when I saw this

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Damn I thought he was released from jail or something when I saw this
    That is actually pretty funny.

Obviously now, the Bengals need major help at linebacker. They did before this move too. They have to pick up a free agent (please, oh please, let that be Adalius Thomas) and draft another one. If I'm the Bengals I draft a very athletic linebacker in the first round. I think the Bengals are o.k. with their cornerbacks and can wait a year to draft another in the first round. Their safeties are decent and their line is decent. Linebacker is the Bengals big gaping hole. They have to sign and draft two linebackers. I think they can wait until the second round to get another cornerback or defensive lineman.

Ideally, the Bengals would trade down their first round pick to the mid-upper 20's and pick up a third round pick that they currently don't have.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Jeez, I really thought the LB position was a big hole we needed to fix.

Simmons was nowhere to be found virtually all season. They needed as much help at LBer with him as without him. No real loss there.

Turn Off Ads?