Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Top 100 Prospects. 4 Reds

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Baseball America Top 100 Prospects. 4 Reds

Homer Bailey came in at #5.
    Jay Bruce came in at #14.
    Joey Votto came in at #43.
    Drew Stubbs came in at #88.

Here is what I dont get, in the comments for the players it says this for Jay Bruce "Beat out Maybin and Upton for top-prospect honors in the Midwest League last summer". Then Maybin ranks #6 and Upton at #9. No sense there.....
    Also note that Johnny Cueto was listed as someone who barely missed the list, so the Reds were a few Japanese imports away from having 5 Top 100 players.

Check out the entire list Here at baseballamerica.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America Top 100 Prospects. 4 Reds

I'm surprised at the Stubbs rating.

Best showing for the Reds in a long time, the real key will be that the system's top six guys don't slide in 2007.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Did they rank the organization as well??

They have Stubbs flagged as a "risk factor", with his ceiling being Cameron and his floor being Keith Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    They have Stubbs flagged as a "risk factor", with his ceiling being Cameron and his floor being Keith Reed.
    For what its worth, they also have Brandon Wood flagged.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    For what its worth, they also have Brandon Wood flagged.
    Not taking a shot at Stubbs, just flagging it for informational purposes.

This is from the Baseball America Chat

Q:Bertram from Taiwan asks:
    Drew Stubbs in the top 100?!?! Are you serious?

A: Jim Callis:
    Yes, we are. I think people miss the point on Drew Stubbs. Stubbs may never hit for a high average. But if he hits .250, he still probably will be a 20-20 guy playing Gold Glove defense in center field. That's a very valuable player.

Q: J.P. from Midwest asks:
    Just how close was it between Hughes & Bailey for their respective rankings? What's the split between your Baseball America staff when answering the question of which of them has the higher ceiling?

Very close. Of the four of us who did the most work putting together the Top 100, three of us had them next to each other on our lists. Three of us gave the advantage to Hughes, one to Bailey. Bailey's ceiling might be a little higher because I think at his best his stuff is a little better, but Hughes has a little more polish right now.

But if he hits .250, he still probably will be a 20-20 guy playing Gold Glove defense in center field. That's a very valuable player.

That sounds like the kind of guy who can have a home in the AL. But in the NL where the pitcher has to bat, that makes 2 of the 9 batters pretty easy outs each time through the lineup. Puts more pressure on the other 7 bats to be high performers.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    That sounds like the kind of guy who can have a home in the AL. But in the NL where the pitcher has to bat, that makes 2 of the 9 batters pretty easy outs each time through the lineup. Puts more pressure on the other 7 bats to be high performers.
    Not exactly. Batting average isnt everyting. Everything points to Stubbs having very good plate discipline. If he can draw walks and keep his on base percentage at a decent clip, say .350, then he is quite valuable.

Also this on Jay Bruce from the Baseball America chat

Q: Edabbs44 from RedsZone.com asks:
    Could you explain this statement about Jay Bruce: "Beat out Maybin and Upton for top-prospect honors in the Midwest League last summer" And then you guys ranked Upton and Maybin higher than Bruce here? Were the Midwest rankings done by sources outside of BA?

They're different lists. I did the Midwest League, and those rankings are at least mildly influenced by how the player did in the context of the league. I also voted for Bruce ahead of Maybin and Upton, but my BA cohorts didn't share the same opinion.

Nice job edabbs. I asked a very similar question.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 03-02-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Not a bad showing for the Reds, especially compared to the rest of the NL Central. Number of prospects per team in parentheses with the player rankings shown below:

Reds (5, if including Cueto)

Cards (2)

Astros (3)

Cubs (3)

Brewers (3)

Pirates (3)

Who knows, by 2009, the Reds just might have themselves a solid, young, and contending team.

One Man Army

Some of the decisions on ranking players and the fact that they even put certain guys on the list in the first place was head-scratching. I hate complaining about an east coast bias, but seriously, some of these choices seemed to have been made based on the popularity and hype three certain teams receive and spew out whenever possible more than anything else.

Maybe I'm mistaken in my assessment and all of the Mets/Red Sox/Yankees prospects on that list I take issue with will prove me wrong in spades. But thus far, color me unimpressed.

The only prospect from NYY/NYM/BOS I take seriously as deserving their ranking is Phil Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One View Post
    Some of the decisions on ranking players and the fact that they even put certain guys on the list in the first place was head-scratching. I hate complaining about an east coast bias, but seriously, some of these choices seemed to have been made based on the popularity and hype three certain teams receive and spew out whenever possible more than anything else.

Maybe I'm mistaken in my assessment and all of the Mets/Red Sox/Yankees prospects on that list I take issue with will prove me wrong in spades. But thus far, color me unimpressed.
    I think those teams plus the Dodgers and Braves tend to get their prospects overrated. That said, I'd sure love to have Pelfrey, Ellsbury and Tabata in the Reds' system.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think those teams plus the Dodgers and Braves tend to get their prospects overrated. That said, I'd sure love to have Pelfrey, Ellsbury and Tabata in the Reds' system.
    Sure.... but for how much Bailey gets for being 1 pitch....he is polished compared to Pelfrey who literally is all fastball. Great fastball, but its all he has. I wouldnt trade the Reds top 3 for any other teams top 3.

Turn Off Ads?