Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton

Re: Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by bradmu View Post
    As a propsect, he was noted as being an outstanding defensive outfield, being able to play all 3 positions very well. Plus, he has an absolute cannon for an arm. I read that in high school, he threw out a guy trying to score from 3rd on a sac fly on a ball that was hit to the warning track...just missing a homer. Obviously he wasn't throwing out Freel or a speedster trying to score, but none the less that is an incredible feat to accomplish.

and a question....if you are a team trying to figure out who to keep...Chad Moeller or Josh Hamilton, really, does that even justify a thought? I really hope we don't go down the 3 catchers path again. Freel can catch in emergencies if needed. no reason to waste another spot like we did last year.
    Well if Hamiltons defense is that good then even if he only performs mediocre at the plate from here on out , the Reds should be able to keep him on the roster is for any other reason as a late inning defensive replacement for Griff and Dunn. Anything he does extra with the bat is just icing on the cake.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Well if Hamiltons defense is that good then even if he only performs mediocre at the plate from here on out , the Reds should be able to keep him on the roster is for any other reason as a late inning defensive replacement for Griff and Dunn. Anything he does extra with the bat is just icing on the cake.

Exactly what I was thinking. He's no Wily Mo because he can catch a fly ball. Even if he can only muster up a .220 average and show an improvement from start of spring to the end, I think he makes the team.
    Hey Marty, This is Adam from Milwaukee...

Quote Originally Posted by sm00th_kw View Post
    Wow...one spring training game y'all. Settle down down a bit...

Excuse me, I'll get excited even if you don't approve.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I was listening to sportstalk last night and Thom was talking about Hamilton. He said something that I think is very true. He said that a scout said if you put hamilton in there as an every day player the first half of the season he may hit .100 but the second half he may hit .400. There has been a lot of discussions about whether freel or deno should start as the final outfielder. This may be a mute point if Hamilton shows some promise. Maybe I am a little too optimistic about this but if hamilton plays every day I can see him leading the team in rbi's in the second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not so sure Hamilton is Deno's competition. If you take Hamilton out of the mix, you could go with that 12th pitcher or the 3rd catcher.
    If you take him out of the mix, don't you lose him because he is a rule 5 player? I wish we would add some more meat to our lineup which is what we traded off for pitching and supposed fielding. Still don't think that was a good one, took us out of the playoff hunt.

I'm not so sure Hamilton is Deno's competition. If you take Hamilton out of the mix, you could go with that 12th pitcher or the 3rd catcher.
    Can't they carry freel, deno, and hamilton? freel is an infielder too... Valentine, Conine, Deno, Freel, and Hamilton? When Gonzalez takes a rest, move Phillips to SS and put Freel at 2B.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I would be a fan of Deno not being a part of the discussion at all. I never understood the man love he got and after watching him look like a professional pitcher at bat than an OF last year, i decided that guy aint an answer.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    I would be a fan of Deno not being a part of the discussion at all. I never understood the man love he got and after watching him look like a professional pitcher at bat than an OF last year, i decided that guy aint an answer.
    I dont know any professional pitchers that hit .353 in a months worth of at bats like Denorfia did last year when he finally had consistant playing time in September. Do people forget he hit .283 last year?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I dont know any professional pitchers that hit .353 in a months worth of at bats like Denorfia did last year when he finally had consistant playing time in September. Do people forget he hit .283 last year?
    Yes... they do.

Deno isn't going to cost the Reds Hamilton. Conine, Castro or Moeller will.

ugh.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Get ready for "it was only against September scrub call ups" but that same logic doesn't apply when talking about any other Red having a good September

Every pitcher Deno got a hit off of last year.

Scott Eyre
    Mike Gonzalez
    Tom Martin
    Ray King
    Jason Jennings
    Mike Pelfrey
    Matt Wise
    Ken Ray
    David Wells
    Ryan Dempster
    Roy Oswalt
    Matt Albers
    Juan Mateo
    Dontrelle Willis
    Randy Messenger
    Anibal Sanchez
    Taylor Tankersley
    Ricky Nolasco
    Zach Duke
    Marty McLeary

Some scrubs in there for sure, but a few names that I'm sure we'll hear this year as well.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 03-02-2007 at 03:29 PM.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Get ready for "it was only against September scrub call ups" but that same logic doesn't apply when talking about any other Red having a good September
    And if you do an analysis of Denorfia's September, It was NOT against Sep callups, it was against guys like David Wells, Dontrelle Willis. Almost none of his hits were against callups.

Edit: Krono beat me to it...
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Apparently. I think quite a few people assume the guy that saw limited action in July is the real Deno.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    If you take him out of the mix, don't you lose him because he is a rule 5 player? I wish we would add some more meat to our lineup which is what we traded off for pitching and supposed fielding. Still don't think that was a good one, took us out of the playoff hunt.

Right. But I was just saying if Hamilton wasn't even drafted or they decide to offer him back to TB.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Can't they carry freel, deno, and hamilton? freel is an infielder too... Valentine, Conine, Deno, Freel, and Hamilton? When Gonzalez takes a rest, move Phillips to SS and put Freel at 2B.

They could but I think they would much rather carry a 12th pitcher or a 3rd catcher rather than another OFer. Especially since Deno has options.

You do bring up an interesting point. Would they move BP to SS if Gonzo were injured or taking a day off? They seemed very reluctant to play BP at SS last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You do bring up an interesting point. Would they move BP to SS if Gonzo were injured or taking a day off? They seemed very reluctant to play BP at SS last year.
    No they won't. Castro is your SS when Gonzo is taking a day off.

Chip, DUH, that's why we have Castro! :all_cohol

Turn Off Ads?