Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR Haters?

Re: NASCAR Haters?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post

And I'm from rural West Virginia (Lincoln County, even), so I'm not exactly going to be repelled because of the so-called white trash element (and no, I don't care for the label either--I could tell some stories of real discrimination beacuse of these assumptions, even though it's nothing that even approaches the extremes of racial discrimination).
    I live in Wayne County, so I can identify with your post. The discrimination and stereotyping faced by so-called "white trash" and by West Virginians in general doesn't come close to that faced by certain racial minorities, such as African-Americans, or other groups perhaps.........but it drives me up the wall all the same. Virgina's new Senator, James Webb, recently touched on the subject in his book on the Scots-Irish, "Born Fighting."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I, too, am from rural West Virginia (Cabell Co.) and have lived in the midst of NASCAR, near Richmond, VA, and Charlotte, NC. I have heard nearly every derogatory comment about my West Virginia roots that can be invented, and although most are said, jokingly, it gets very old and can be somewhat hurtful if said in the wrong company. I can't help where I was born and I am proud of my West Virginia roots. It may not come close to what racial minorities face, but it is, nevertheless, quite constant and gives you a real good idea of what racial minorities have endured. I must say that I hear many more derogatory comments about my roots, here in south Charlotte, than I ever hear about racial minorities, and the comments are never even looked on as being ugly or hurtful. Catch me in the wrong mood and I can get rather surly about it. Just as in racism, it is very easy for unaffected people to say that it doesn't compare or isn't nearly as bad.

As far as NASCAR goes, if people enjoy it, I have no problem with it.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Once the weather gets warm, the Kentucky Speedway gets several weekends of racing June-September. The don't have have a Nextel Cup race but they have everything else.

It is a bit like a plague of locusts that descend upon the racetrack though. Not that NASCAR racing fans aren't good citizens (they are), it's just the sheer volume of cars and RVs that jam the highways all around the track for the weekend. I don't know what the track capacity is, but you fill the infield and stands and its a boatload of people.

It is built out in the middle of nowhere so there really isn't much of a local populace that gets disturbed. And the people that are there are grateful for the economic boost.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But it is a derogatory slur/stereotype against a segment and particular region of this country (the South).
    I've always found it interesting that some excuse derogatory and insulting langage for group A because it's "not as serrious" as what group B has had to endure.

That makes about as much sense as saying it's ok to poke a complete stranger in the eye, because it's not as serrious as bonking them in the head with a pipe wrench.

Derogatory and insulting langague for any group (how ever they are defined or categorized) is wrong...period. Regardless of what "level of serriousness" to which it rises.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-02-2007 at 09:59 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I'm not a fan of Nascar, mostly for the reasons outlined by Paint so eloquently (no right turns), but I did once have a roommate who was really into it and I did find the stories about how the guys were always trying to stay one step ahead of the rules pretty interesting.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I've always found it interesting that some excuse derogatory and insulting langage for group A because it's "not as serrious" as what group B has had to endure.

That makes about as much sense as saying it's ok to poke a complete stranger in the eye, because it's not as serrious as bonking them in the head with a pipe wrench.

Derogatory and insulting langague for any group (how ever they are defined or categorized) is wrong...period. Regardless of what "level of serriousness" to which it rises.

Your analogy is interesting. Some white folks of Anglo-Protestant descent truly believe that the expressions "cracker," "honky," and "whitey" bear the same thunder as "n-----r" or "kike." I'd say that your analogy is flawed: saying the former words to a white person is the equivalent of hitting them with a down pillow; the latter group, the equivalent of hitting blacks and Jews with a sledgehammer.

Language is context and history. "Whitey" or "honky" has no sting to it because whitey and honky have always had the whip-hand. It's never not been that way, in the history of humanity.

I think we all can agree that insults of any kind should be avoided, but let's not live in the la-la land that says these terms are of equivalent hateful power.

"But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man."
    The hatefulness(evil) of what is said is defined by what is in the individual heart.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Fine him, but don't do something that negates what he did on the "playing field". When you do things like this, your product (good word for NASCAR) ceases being a sport.
    I think the feeling here is that a fine isn't a deterrent. To someone who has millions, a $20,000 fine or something like it isn't going to get it stopped.

Take away points on the track, and I'll bet drivers are a little more careful what they say.

Not that I agree, that's just their philosophy, I bet.

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Homosexuality = not a choice
    Not sure this has ever been completely proven.....
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by beb30 View Post
    Not sure this has ever been completely proven.....

I think to think otherwise is incredibly naive, but that's just me.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think to think otherwise is incredibly naive, but that's just me.
    Yes, people often choose to join groups that are vilified by large and influential sectors of society as immoral, contrary to basic religious mores, disgusting, and unworthy of fundamental human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Yes, people often choose to join groups that are vilified by large and influential sectors of society as immoral, contrary to basic religious mores, disgusting, and unworthy of fundamental human rights.
    Should we also show tolerance to pedophiles and people who practice beastiality??? If they are born this way as many claim homosexuals are, why do we not show them tolerance as well???
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Should we also show tolerance to pedophiles and people who practice beastiality??? If they are born this way as many claim homosexuals are, why do we not show them tolerance as well???
    Stick to the subject, you're taking this way off course and frankly you're so wrong in your mapping that you might want to GPS the rest of your thoughts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    If you can't see the difference, that's your fault.

Ignorance and hate are choices.

Please keep the discussion civil and on topic.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?