Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Dinosaur Jr. Album

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Dinosaur Jr. Album

"Beyond" is due May 1. The band has posted two great new songs on MySpace.

http://myspace.com/dinosaurjr

The band sounds fantastic. I can't believe how much these new songs sound like they were written and recorded in 1989. You could slip them in between tracks on "Green Mind" and not miss a beat. J Mascis is still the master of slacker-shredding -- the grungy Peter Frampton.

And as a bonus, their long-lost video for "Just Like Heaven" is posted on their site. Grunge puppets!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: New Dinosaur Jr. Album

I prefer his father, Dinosaur Sr.'s, stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I prefer his father, Dinosaur Sr.'s, stuff.
    Dinosaur had to slide the Junior in after their name after they were threatened with lawsuit by the band Dinosaur... whose lead guitarist was John Cippollina (who was in Quicksilver) they were a band of sixties era SF Area musicians... I saw them at the Fillmore once, they came on stage in Wheelchairs (IIRC I'm now probably older then some of them now) The did a wicked 20 minute "Mona" (which sounds a lot like Who do you love? which was Quicksilvers hit)

Instead of changing their name they slid the Jr. in there.

My friend went to college with Mascis... said he was a grade a weirdo.

Right in my wheelhouse, I enjoyed me some Dinosaur Jr back in the early 90s.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Nice. I hope the sound quality of the album sounds better though. I'm sure it will.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Nice. I hope the sound quality of the album sounds better though. I'm sure it will.
    I don't know -- I kinda like the homemade, indie-style sound. It suits the band.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I don't know -- I kinda like the homemade, indie-style sound. It suits the band.

It just sounds a little thin. may be my computer. I am a huge fan though.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

They were one of the top requested bands on my radio show, and I played them all the time but I never "got" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    They were one of the top requested bands on my radio show, and I played them all the time but I never "got" them.
    It's all about J's guitar. If you like big guitars and lyrics about how Uma Thurman dumped you in High School, then you're probably a fan, if not.....

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    It's all about J's guitar. If you like big guitars and lyrics about how Uma Thurman dumped you in High School, then you're probably a fan, if not.....
    Forget the swan, a stone swims near
    A stone has come, if I could cheer
    Forget the swan
    Forget the swan

The world drips down like gravy
    The thoughts of love so hazy
    Everyones ideal of fun
    Repulsion

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Talk about blast from the past.

Thanks for the heads up JF. DJ always sounds just right in my iPod - will be awesome to get some new stuff.

Alice & Chains & Dinosaur Jr with new stuff. Wow. If we could just get Screaming Trees & Nirvana to somehow put out some new stuff, my return to adolescence will just about be complete.

FYI, pedro and woy, Dino jr. is scheduled to play Portland's Crystal Ballroom on May 17th.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    FYI, pedro and woy, Dino jr. is scheduled to play Portland's Crystal Ballroom on May 17th.
    sweet. thanks for the tip. I'll be there.

J will join Rachel Fuller and In The Attic at Joe's Pub in New York City tomorrow, Tuesday, February 20. The lineup also includes Amos Lee, Rachel Yamagata, Rachel Fuller, Pete Townshend and Jimmy Fallon. Check out www.intheattic.tv for more details.

In the Attic is an internet TV show featuring live unplugged acoustic music with Rachel Fuller and The Who's Pete Townshend backstage at gigs, festivals and venues around Europe. The video podcast In The Attic delivers unseen footage of some of the biggest names in music. The best in unplugged live music and backstage segments from The Who concerts, T in the Park Festival, Oxegen Festival and Hyde Park Calling festival. Guests include The Flaming Lips, E from The Eels, The Magic Numbers, Regina Spektor, Edith Bowman, Razorlight, Rose Hill Drive, The Fratellis, Kasabian, Foy Vance, The Kooks and The Zutons.

Turn Off Ads?