Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it hard to admit you are wrong?

Is it hard to admit you are wrong?

With all of the pitched back and forth battles, one can *sometimes* get the idea that some of us here at RZ *might* have a hard time admitting when we are wrong.

For me personally, I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong in some situations. For example, I was willing to admit I was wrong about BA reigning supreme mostly because I had no real attachement to the concept. Believe it or not, Mrs. Ltlabner has commented before that I am unusually willing to admit I was wrong long before she is about various marital issues and fights.

Other times, however, when I know that I am right about something I woln't let it go. Ever. (I know that might suprise some of you). Those situations are rare mostly. I had a highschool history teacher who had a question on a test where the 'correct' answer to the battle that represented the high tide of the confederacy was Vicksburg. Needless to say I made a big stink over that. In those cases it's very difficult for me to ever give in and admitt fault even just to placate the other person.

So with that I ask, how easy is it for you to admit you are wrong? Does it depend on the situation?

And be honest.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-02-2007 at 09:12 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Is it hard to admit you are wrong?

It definitely depends on what the situation is. Sometimes if it's a trivial matter where I'm just arguing with someone like a friend I won't let it go, even if I know I'm wrong because I like to get under their skin a bit and have fun with them.

When the situation comes up in something more serious like a relationship I'll be more inclined to admit that I was wrong if it's for the best. I can definitely be stubborn though.

Yes Dear. You're right. I'm wrong. I'm sorry.

If I had a dime for every time I've trotted out that line, I'd be a very wealthy man.

I'm never wrong, and I have a worn out "edit" and "delete" key to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

If I had a dime for every time I've trotted out that line, I'd be a very wealthy man.
    Same here. I find myself uttering those words even when I'm right, just to avoid arguing any further.

Sure, I can admit my mistakes. I was wrong about Bronson Arroyo being able to get his K/9 back to respectable levels, and I admitted it.

I make plenty of mistakes, and I'm usually quick to admit they were wrong. Then I can move on and not beat myself up about them.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I defer to the knowledge of many, many posters on RZ, who have taught me a lot about the business of baseball. And generally, I don't come here to argue with people in the first place, but when I am wrong and someone points it out it just seems like common courtesy to admit it and thank them for the enlightenment. Unfortunately, many posters don't have the tact to either point things out in a friendly way or the bigness to admit when they're wrong. Naturally, matters of opinion are not the same as getting the facts straight, but I do think there are ways to differ without getting oneself or others all bent out of shape in the process.

Marriage has taught me this; to be tactful, to respect another's opinion and to understand that even when I am in the woods all by myself I am still probably wrong.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Heck, sometimes I don't just admit to being wrong, I assume it.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

Yes we have a BINGO!!

Yes. It's one of my biggest faults.

I like debate, and I like backing up my own side of the debate whether or not it's technically correct. So I will continue to argue my own side for the sake of working my brain even if I KNOW I'm wrong.

I also have a real desire to do everything better than anybody else, so I get defensive if an implication is made that I didn't do something perfectly. I'm a picnic, basically.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Heck, sometimes I don't just admit to being wrong, I assume it.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If it ever happens, I'll gladly admit it.

I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I like SunDeck's thoughts on the matter. I don't have much trouble admitting I'm wrong (I have lots of practice) but when someone points it out in a rude or condescending manner, I tend to become a little more stubborn about it.

It's one of my biggest faults as well. I have this unfortunate quality of genuinely thinking I'm always right.

It's not that I know I'm wrong and I keep arguing, it's more I just don't realize it.

It used to be that once it sunk through my thick skull that I was actually wrong, I'd be defensive and it was like pulling out an oak stump to get me to admit to it.

However, with my wife's help, I've gotten much better about it. She is very good about reminding me about all of my massive flaws
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

It can be, but I find it's easier to not even try and be right, say nothing and let the obvious answer present itself
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?