Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it hard to admit you are wrong?

La Dolce Vita

Re: Is it hard to admit you are wrong?

Being a perfectionist, I definitely feel the need to always be right. However, as I age, my memory fails me much more often, my brain connections have gotten softer, and I have come to accept the fact that I will actually make a factual mistake on occasion.

I still have trouble suffering other fools, though.
    teach tolerance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm not sure. I'll have to try it sometime.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What are you trying to say? I am never wrong.

I am never wrong. That is why I was chosen 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If anything, it's too easy to admit I'm wrong, and I probably need to stick up for my opinions a bit more at times.

In those various "personality" type exercises we occasionally do at work or online, I often am accuses of trying too hard to avoid confrontation, and I've had people in person and on the phone tell me "don't say you're sorry so often" during conversations.

It's only human nature (ego) to resist humility with every fiber of our being. I have always been a firm believer in "pride goeth before a fall." And we can all sight many examples of this, whether within ourselves or in others. Over my lifetime I've definitely been "put in my place" numerous times. But in my lifetime the greatest example of the above has been Pete Rose. It built him up and got him where he wanted to be.... then it destroyed him.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'll say I'm wrong even though I know I'm right, simply to avoid arguing. Too much negative energy.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I'll say I'm wrong even though I know I'm right, simply to avoid arguing. Too much negative energy.
    I've done that, many times to avoid the ensuing argument. My wife has a harder time with it than I do. It's simply easier to get it over with, even if I know that I am right, and really, that's all that matters.

I bet the phrase I use most at work is "boy I screwed that up."

Well that and "bite me."

But if I'm right, I'll fight to the death.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

It definitely depends on the situation. If I feel someone's life (or lives) may be at stake, I will argue my point until I am proven wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt. Otherwise, it's not really worth arguing. Being 'right' is really overrated...if that's what will bring the other person happiness, then I'll confess to wrongs whether real or imagined. On the other hand, if I believe the key to the other person's true eternal happiness is learning how to deal with being wrong, I will again argue my point endlessly, whether it be baseless or not.

You learn from your mistakes...how do you think I got so smart?

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Yes Dear. You're right. I'm wrong. I'm sorry.

If I had a dime for every time I've trotted out that line, I'd be a very wealthy man.
    ditto. and then some.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

The older I get the easier it gets.

GL

Turn Off Ads?