Thread: Daugherty on Dunn

Daugherty on Dunn

"Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Daugherty on Dunn

Friday, March 02, 2007
    my new friend Adam

SARASOTA -- spring training is about new starts, so I figured it was time to patch things up w/Adam Dunn... occasionally, writers and players have problems with each other... usually they pass... ours lingered, which was dumb, because Dunn is among the most engaging and self-effacing Reds, not to mention one of the most important. So when I asked Dunn today if we could bury the hatchet, he didn't bury it in my head. We had a great talk, he seems a changed guy. More serious about the player he can be, more aware that his vast potential was going a little untapped. More mature, generally. Good for him. Good for the Reds. I'll write about him for Sunday's paper. Meantime, it feels good to patch things up.

posted by Paul Daugherty at 1:57 PM 1 comments
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

This is a part of modern journalism that I hate. I don't care about your hatchets, Paul; I would rather see you focus on good factual writing, something that has been slipping away from you in recent years. I appreciate that he's trying to put a good spin in things here, but I really think it's best if there's no spin in that sense at all. Writers' personal relationships with players are of no concern of mine and I don't think they should be. Instead of using your personal relationship with Dunn as evidence that he seems soooo much more mature, why don't you use, you know, sporting anecdotes and facts, the way sports journalists are supposed to? I smell laziness.

I applaud the way the internet has facilitated communication between public figures and the people they serve, but you can do that without being personal.

Old Fart
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Aaron Altman: Let's never forget, we're the real story, not them.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    This is a part of modern journalism that I hate. I don't care about your hatchets, Paul; I would rather see you focus on good factual writing, something that has been slipping away from you in recent years. I appreciate that he's trying to put a good spin in things here, but I really think it's best if there's no spin in that sense at all. Writers' personal relationships with players are of no concern of mine and I don't think they should be. Instead of using your personal relationship with Dunn as evidence that he seems soooo much more mature, why don't you use, you know, sporting anecdotes and facts, the way sports journalists are supposed to? I smell laziness.

I applaud the way the internet has facilitated communication between public figures and the people they serve, but you can do that without being personal.

Old Fart
    It's a blog piece, not a front-page article....

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post

It's just my opinion. I don't see the point.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Yeah this is the trend of the beat writers these here days (online journals).

I don't mind it, but think VP was under the impression it was one of his column pieces possibly.

Dunn, as always, will have an interesting year I'm sure.

What I want to know is, are those full body shots they use with the blogs the worst they could find. C. Trent looks like he's trying on "big boy" clothes and Daugherty just kind of looks like they grabbed him on the way to doing some work around the house.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Well, no matter what it is, the point is that Daugherty is basically telling his readers - if they read his columns on line, they will most likely read his blog - that since he kissed and made up with Dunn, it's OK to like him now. On Wednesday night, Marty was saying that he and Dunn hadn't spoken yet this spring and he attributes it to the fact that he has been hard on Dunn. So now Reds Fan has a dilemna. Doc says that it's OK to like Dunn now but Marty and Dunn don't even speak. So how should Reds Fan feel about Dunn?

I know beat writers, columnists and broadcasters form relationships - and strong opinions about the people they cover. And it isn't confined to sports either. Ideally those feelings - good or bad - shouldn't show up in their work. Unfortunately, they do and they have a strong influence on not only the fans but the other media as well. Then they are becoming the story and the people they cover are just in the background. I'm not trying to turn this into another Marty bashing thread but if you go back and look at the comments about him, a lot of his admirers who don't mind what he says about players will say that they want to hear more of the ball game and less of the golf stories or the tomato stories or the "I had lunch with so-and-so" stories.

It's one thing to influence a reader or viewer or listener about someone or something be it good or bad. People have been doing that forever. But having someone come out and say, "I like this guy now so you should too" damages the credibility of that person. What if Dunn starts putting up Juan Castroesque numbers and Doc doesn't criticize him? People are going to start thinking that he won't criticize Dunn at all cause he's his pal. They will start to wonder what other things he should be critical about that he hasn't been. They are going to start thinking he's a joke and not read his columns any more.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I'm gonna have to stand with VP an CHiP on this one.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Lets see how long it lasts. Sooner or later Daugherty will need some thing to write about.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm gonna have to stand with VP an CHiP on this one.
    I'm in total agreement with both VP and Chip here.

Every Fan be they "casual" or "diehard" deserves honest and accurate information.

It would seem Boadcasters, writers and sportsqualk host are paid well enough to provide factual and unbiased information. All of these guys have the talent to do that.

The laziness, personal biases, personal grudges and prejudices of these folks are far too often passed onto the gullible misinformed majority of this fanbase. That is not a good thing.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-03-2007 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'm in total agreement with both VP and Chip here.

Every Fan be they "casual" or "diehard" deserves honest and accurate information.

It would seem Boadcasters, writers and sportsqualk host are paid well enough to provide factual and unbiased information.
    That's true. But they also write, or allow, their own personal feelings, viewpoint, and perspective to influence their articles, like an editorial. Is that wrong? I have no problem with that. From there, one can either simply agree or disagree.

The game of baseball has evolved more and more, and has come to be inclusive of various "camps" of thought. We see evidence of that on here with the stat guys and those who are traditionalists. And boy do we all argue back and forth at times. It's almost a type of bias or partisanship that we see in politics where sides are drawn. And if course either side will argue till the moon falls from the sky as to the "rightness" of their position.

And we do the same with beat writers and various other sports commentators who somehow make comments or write an article that "sticks in our craw" or is somehow offensive to our position/thinking.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-03-2007 at 05:06 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So now Reds Fan has a dilemna. Doc says that it's OK to like Dunn now but Marty and Dunn don't even speak. So how should Reds Fan feel about Dunn? .
    Once again the idea that fans can't form their own opinions without being told to think by someone in the press is floated.

I really wish I knew where I could meet these weak-willed people who can't decide what to eat for breakfast without being told what to think by someone in the press.

Maybe I could convince them to give me all their money.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?