Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browns sign Steinbach

Re: Browns sign Steinbach

ProFootballTalk latest picture:

Eric Steinbach makes his way from Cincy to Cleveland.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's not a good signing. You NEVER pay guards/centers this type of money.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    He'll be back. In fact he has been working hard and should easily be on schedule.

I continue to say - if the Browns improve their O-line, they vastly improve this team. They have some talent up there.

It will be interesting to see who the Browns will select with the #3 pick.
    Everything I have heard has said that he is having a third knee surg. and will miss the whole season.

Dear Phil Savage -

Please draft Adrian Peterson with the 3rd pick and then draft 6 offensive linemen. Unless, Troy Smith is available in the 3rd round.

Sincerely,

Browns Fans.

I'm OK with Steinbach. He is definately an upgrade.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Dear Phil Savage -

Please draft Adrian Peterson with the 3rd pick and then draft 6 offensive linemen. Unless, Troy Smith is available in the 3rd round.

Sincerely,

Browns Fans.

I'm OK with Steinbach. He is definately an upgrade.
    That's probably the approach they need to use. If I were the Browns, I'd probably look to the draft as the best way to fix the OL. I think they got burned when Bentley got hurt and they had no depth on the line to replace him with. While signing Steinbach fills a need, It doesn't really help them if Steiny gets hurt. Of course, he's also pretty versatile, so he can slide over to other spots on the line if someone gets hurt.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    While signing Steinbach fills a need, It doesn't really help them if Steiny gets hurt.

Wow, what a thought there. As a Browns fan, I like the signing. Its a lot of money, but its what the market suggests.

I "gleaned" this from an ESPN article on the NFL Combine and Brady Quinn's workout....

Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress and Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel were both impressed by Quinn's performance.

"Really, he made more throws here than you'd think about making at the combine," Childress said. "I think he threw about 60 balls here today and it takes a little bit of endurance to be able to do that and he did it pretty rapid-fire succession."

Crennel said Quinn clearly had zip on his passes.

"The fact he could make all his throws, both right and left, he's a polished quarterback," Crennel said. "He's smart. When you watch him on tape you can see he knows where to go with the ball. He will, at times, throw it away when he has to, so we think he's a good, young prospect."

Also.....

Browns sign Peek to 3-year deal

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

After securing two offensive linemen early on, the Browns' latest free agent pickup boosts the defense.

Antwan Peek, who signed a three-year contract with the team Saturday night, provides depth and athleticism at outside linebacker. He played his first three years in the Texans' 3-4 defense and became expendable because the Texans switched to a 4-3 last season.

Peek, 27, had his best year in 2005, recording 6 sacks, 46 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries.

He's a native of Cincinnati who entered the league as a third round draft pick out of the University of Cincinnati in 2003.

At 6-foot-3, 250, Peek fits the Browns' prototype for a pass rushing outside linebacker. In his four-year, 51-game NFL career he has 10 sacks and 1 interception. He visited the Browns Friday and Saturday and joins Eric Steinbach as the team's second free agent pickup since the market opened Friday.

The Browns also announced Saturday that they'd reached an agreement with last year's starting center, Hank Fraley, on a four-year contract.

Wright signs three-year deal

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

The Browns added another free agent Sunday, signing veteran cornerback Kenny Wright to a three-year deal.

Wright (6-foot-1, 207) is a nine-year NFL veteran who played in all 16 games for the Redskins last season, totaling 39 tackles and 1 interception.

He originally entered the league as fourth-round draft choice of the Vikings in 1999 and played three years for the Vikings, three for the Texans, one with the Jaguars and last season with the Redskins.

He's the second defensive player to sign with the Browns this weekend. Both he and linebacker Antwan Peek played with the Texans when Browns defensive coordinator Todd Grantham was the Texans' defensive line coachfrom 2002-04.

For his career, Wright has 7 interceptions, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 53 pass breakups. He should figure prominently in a Browns defensive backfield that saw veteran starters Gary Baxter and Daylon McCutcheon suffer season-ending injuries last season.

Wright will turn 30 at the beginning of the 2007 regular season. He's started 56 of 126 career games.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-05-2007 at 04:24 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Well, we should have enough linebackers to play. Now if we had someone on offense to freakin' block. Steiny was a nice start.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

The Browns always seem so active in free agency, yet it doesn't seem to get them anywhere.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The Browns always seem so active in free agency, yet it doesn't seem to get them anywhere.
    I don't think they have been any more active then any other NFL team.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't think they have been any more active then any other NFL team.
    Well, compared to the Bengals, they're big-time free agency players.

University of Cincinnati

They've been pretty active the past 2 seasons thats for sure....
    THE University of Cincinnati

Jamaal Lewis signed today with Cleveland.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I guess we need more criminals to compete in the AFC north....

It's not the same without guys like Willie Green and Ross Verba around.

Turn Off Ads?