Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Browns sign Steinbach

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Browns sign Steinbach

Can't stop him so might as well sign him. Wonder if that takes petersen out of draft consideration? Maybe Quinn or the nice OT at that spot now.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Brady Quinn: Welcome to Cleveland
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by mole44 View Post
    I guess we need more criminals to compete in the AFC north....
    No, the AFC North just retains their criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Can't stop him so might as well sign him. Wonder if that takes petersen out of draft consideration? Maybe Quinn or the nice OT at that spot now.
    If Quinn is available I'd take him. If not, you can't pass up on Peterson. Especially since Lewis only got a 1 year deal.

Browns sign Jamal Lewis to 1-year deal

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer 03.07.2007

How's this for a reversal of fortunes? Jamal Lewis is set to bounce off of would-be tacklers for the Browns instead of bouncing would-be tacklers who play for the Browns.

The Browns signed Lewis to a one-year deal Wednesday night, bringing the veteran power back to the team that he set the NFL single-game record of 295 yards rushing against in 2003.

The Ravens released Lewis in a salary-cap move just prior to the start of free agency.

His 314 carries for 1,132 yards last fall were the most since the record-setting 2003 season that gave him the NFL rushing title. That year, he rushed for 2,066 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Lewis, who turns 28 just prior to the start of the 2008 season, has seven NFL seasons under his belt. His emergence as a rookie in 2000 helped the Ravens win the Super Bowl, but he suffered a torn ACL in training camp the following summer and missed the season.

He's rushed for more than 1,000 yards in four of five seasons since, missing the mark only in 2005 when he had 906. For his career, he has 1,822 rushes for 7,801 yards and 45 touchdowns.

He has six career 100-yard games against the Browns, four of 170 yards or more. "We are pleased to add Jamal Lewis to our team," Browns Senior Vice President and General Manager, Phil Savage said. "He is a proven NFL back who brings a toughness and demeanor to the game that his teammates and our fans will appreciate."

The addition of Lewis and Eric Steinbach in free agency dramatically changes the look of the Browns' offense and reflects at least a mild change in the look of the AFC North Division as a whole. Lewis is a 5-foot-11, 245-pound battering ram, and the Browns plan to put a rugged offensive line in front of him.
    Savage was with the Ravens when they drafted Lewis in the first round in 2000. Lewis becomes the third high-profile former Raven to sign with the Browns under Savage's watch, joining Gary Baxter (2005) and Dave Zastudil (last season).

Other news.....

Frye could be developmental gem

Jeff Walcoff, Staff Writer 03.07.2007

No, he's not Browns quarterback Charlie Frye's long-lost cousin, but he does have an NFL pedigree.
    Brandon Frye, a 6-foot-4, 301-pound offensive lineman out of Virginia Tech is a developmental prospect with significant upside, speed and athleticism -- and he could be a fit for the Browns in the upcoming NFL draft.
    He gets the athleticism from his father, Stan Rome, who played football and basketball at Clemson and played professionally with the Kansas City Chiefs as a wide receiver and special teams standout from 1979-82.
    Not to be denied the imperative Cleveland connection, Rome was drafted in the fourth round of the 1978 NBA Draft by, who else? The Cleveland Cavaliers.
    These days, Frye and Rome talk on the phone often, but until recently, that wasn't the case. Until October 2006, the 23-year-old Frye had not seen or spoken to his father in 18 years.
    Another of Rome's children, Monica Alexander, was searching the Internet when he found the connection between Rome and Frye. Alexander got in touch with her half-brother and initiated the communication.
    Rome attended Virginia Tech's upset victory over Clemson on Oct. 28 and met with Frye on the field after the game.
    "It was crazy," Frye said. "I had a great game that game and afterwards to be able to meet him -- it was a good feeling."
    Frye arrived in Blacksburg as a defensive end but was moved to offensive tackle in 2003. He sat for a year and played only four games as a backup in '04 before taking over the starting right tackle role in '05. He moved to left tackle in 2006, starting each of the team's 14 games.
    Evident through his senior season was his ability to play through injury. He suffered a dislocated elbow in the team's first game of the season but missed just one game. Later in the year, he suffered a high ankle sprain, which also caused him to miss just one game.
    While inexperienced on the offensive side of the ball, he shows significant upside worthy of late-first- or early-second-day consideration, according to some draft experts.
    There's a remote parallel between Frye and one of his former Hokie teammates who is now with the Browns.
    Justin Hamilton, like Frye, spent a large portion of his college career changing positions on both sides of the ball before settling in at safety as a senior. The Browns took a chance on the developmental prospect in the seventh round of the 2006 draft. Hamilton had a solid rookie year and the pick seems to be paying dividends.
    Frye hopes he can follow in Hamilton's footsteps.
    "He works hard and I work hard," Frye said of him and Hamilton. "(Our position changes) were changes we both made to help the team and not necessarily to help ourselves. We wanted to help the team and we fit in better for our team at that time at that position and we both excelled. He's done well and hopefully I'll do well like he has."
    Frye, in fact, wasn't entirely open to the switch to offense when he moved to tackle.
    "I can't say I was (open to the change) but I sat down and thought about it and said, 'Well if it's going to help me succeed and be a better player and help the team I might as well,'" he said.
    Today, he admits he probably wouldn't be in the position to be drafted if he hadn't made the move.
    He said he feels he can play either tackle position in the pros, but teams also have talked to him about playing guard. With his size, it's a possibility.
    As a player who once moved from defense to offense to help his team and to increase his playing time, a small move towards the inside of the line isn't so intimidating.
    "(Teams) just asked if I'd mind (the move) and I said no," Frye said "I'd rather play at guard than watch at tackle."
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

If you're the Browns, why sit there and take Quinn or Peterson when you can trade down, stockpile draftpicks, and use those picks for areas of need (continue building OL and D)? They've made some big signings in free agency, but what they really need is to raise the quality of their players across the board and gain some depth at key positions, so that if one guy gets hurt, they have someone who can step in and take their place. I think with Frye and Lewis, they've got enough of talent there to act as "caretakers" until they build enough depth on OL to help the next guy they draft at QB or RB.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?