Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patriots release Corey Dillon

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Patriots release Corey Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    He got his ring. I was happy for him.

Never blamed him for the BS he pulled in Cincy, his best years were wasted on a franchise that had no desire to win. I hope he makes the Hall of Fame.
    It is okay to pull the stunts he pulled and run your mouth like he did while in Cincy b/c the team was showing no dedication to winning? I disagree. Some guys have class and maturity... others do not. Some guys are team players... others are not. Regardless of their skill it does not make it okay to behave in certain immature ways. As a matter of fact he showed some immaturity and a lack of class in only his second season (2005) in NE when injuries limited his playing. New team, a winner and a SB champ in his 1st season there, but same ol' same ol' from the player in year 2.

I have to ask... would Corey Dillon be mentioned as a possible Hall-of-Famer without the Bengals? A team that gave him a shot to be the guy. A guy who took that opportunity and proved himself in that 1/2 of a season as a rookie. A team that took him as the 43rd pick in the 2nd round when a lot of teams did not want the risk of a troubled youth. I think the guy owes the Bengals franchise a sincere thank you for giving him a shot that many teams did not risk. He also owes some linemen (like Willie Anderson who he ripped) a sincere thank you for blocking... he was not a Payton or Sayers that did a lot on their own. He could of gotten the trade to NE without the words and the uniform tossing... but he showed his immaturity, ego and lack of class by doing it his way.

I must give him credit today. He is bailing out again, but doing it in a more mature way. Perhaps he is smart enough to realize that doing it a non-classy way twice might be too much for a lot of teams.

His years in Cincy were not wasted. Just like Ernie Banks did not have wasted years in Chicago. There are many great players (Dan Marino) who did not get a ring. That does not equate to a waste. Some should look in a mirror (Corey) and realize that those teams gave them an opportunity that might not have presented itself elsewhere. No Cincy, maybe not Hall consideration for Dillon. Not something that can ever be proven, but something that can definitely be argued.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 03-04-2007 at 01:32 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    It is okay to pull the stunts he pulled and run your mouth like he did while in Cincy b/c the team was showing no dedication to winning? I disagree. Some guys have class and maturity... others do not. Some guys are team players... others are not. Regardless of their skill it does not make it okay to behave in certain immature ways. As a matter of fact he showed some immaturity and a lack of class in only his second season (2005) in NE when injuries limited his playing. New team, a winner and a SB champ in his 1st season there, but same ol' same ol' from the player in year 2.

I have to ask... would Corey Dillon be mentioned as a possible Hall-of-Famer without the Bengals? A team that gave him a shot to be the guy. A guy who took that opportunity and proved himself in that 1/2 of a season as a rookie. A team that took him as the 43rd pick in the 2nd round when a lot of teams did not want the risk of a troubled youth. I think the guy owes the Bengals franchise a sincere thank you for giving him a shot that many teams did not risk. He also owes some linemen (like Willie Anderson who he ripped) a sincere thank you for blocking... he was not a Payton or Sayers that did a lot on their own. He could of gotten the trade to NE without the words and the uniform tossing... but he showed his immaturity, ego and lack of class by doing it his way.

I must give him credit today. He is bailing out again, but doing it in a more mature way. Perhaps he is smart enough to realize that doing it a non-classy way twice might be too much for a lot of teams.

His years in Cincy were not wasted. Just like Ernie Banks did not have wasted years in Chicago. There are many great players (Dan Marino) who did not get a ring. That does not equate to a waste. Some should look in a mirror (Corey) and realize that those teams gave them an opportunity that might not have presented itself elsewhere. No Cincy, maybe not Hall consideration for Dillon. Not something that can ever be proven, but something that can definitely be argued.
    Must spread rep...

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

I agree with you. For all his talk of wanting to play on a winner, Corey Dillon was perfectly willing to re-up with the Bengals while they were still losing. But then, as they were turning the corner, that's when he started to bad-mouth his way out of town. Why? Because Rudi Johnson started taking away carries. It wasn't being on a winner that motivated him. He just wants to be "the man." He was fine in NE that first year when he was "the man." But once injuries and the emergence of another RB started limiting his time, he wanted out again. I wonder, if given the choice, whether Corey Dillon would choose to go to another Super Bowl or go to a mediocre team with decent offensive line and no other options at RB so that he might get an opportunity to pad his stats.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Leaving the Pats makes it pretty clear to me what he values, Yachtzee.

What franchise gives you better odds of winning another SB than the Pats?

When I met Corey Dillon, he was leaving an autograph show, and I found him in the parking lot on his way to his jeep. I took one look at the rusted up heap of junk that he was driving with (and I crap you not) duct tape on various parts of it holding it together, and I was shocked that a professional athlete of his stature was driving around in such a horrible looking vehicle. It was worse than my Neon...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Leaving the Pats makes it pretty clear to me what he values, Yachtzee.

What franchise gives you better odds of winning another SB than the Pats?
    You're assuming he had a choice, when he may not have. IMO, there's at least a half decent chance the Pats were going to cut him, and he knew it before he or his agent ever said anything.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Again, his actions didn't bother me one bit because I felt the exact same way about the way Mike Brown was taking the city for a complete ride. I took a perverse pleasure in watching him show up ownership. I don't condone his actions, but it didn't cause me to lose respect for him as a player, even though those actions were immature and classless.

Turn Off Ads?