Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Schmidt criticizes Dunn and Burrell at a Breakfast in Dayton

Mike Schmidt criticizes Dunn and Burrell at a Breakfast in Dayton

Schmidt criticizes Burrell for strikeouts
    By Hal McCoy
    COX NEWS SERVICE Posted on Fri, Feb. 09, 2007
    Jim Salisbury | Phils big rig heads to Florida
    Schmidt criticizes Burrell for strikeouts
    DAYTON, Ohio - Unprompted, Mike Schmidt ticked off two names that, well, "tick me off. Pat Burrell and Adam Dunn, because they strike out so much."

This came from a guy who struck out 1,883 times during 18 years with the Phillies, including five seasons of more than 135 whiffs. He struck out so much early in his career that teammate Willie Montaņez called him "Ah-choo" because strikeouts create the same breeze as a sneeze.

Schmidt, the keynote speaker yesterday morning at a breakfast in Dayton, Ohio, said he regretted the way he approached hitting during his Hall of Fame career.

"Now I know that if I had choked up on the bat with two strikes and hadn't been so aggressive and gave in to the pitcher, I wouldn't have struck out so much. And that's what guys like Dunn and Burrell have to realize," Schmidt added.

Schmidt said that with a game on the line, pitchers don't mind facing guys like the Reds' Dunn and the Phillies' Burrell because they know they can strike them out.

"How do I know this? Because when I played, pitchers wanted me up there with the game on the line," he said. "They'd rather face me than a guy behind me like Greg Luzinski, who would put the ball in play.

"I look at Dunn and Burrell and I go, 'My God, if these guys cut their strikeouts down to 75 or 80, they put the ball in play 85 or 90 more times a year.' That's at least 15 more home runs a year and at least 35 more RBIs a year."

Schmidt hit 548 home runs, was National League MVP four times, and was named the top major-league player of the 1980s, despite his strikeouts. He wonders whether Dunn and Burrell watch St. Louis superstar Albert Pujols, a guy who hits not only for power but also for average, and strikes out fewer than 70 times a year.

"I mean, why would Dunn and Burrell watch what Pujols does and not want to be like him, as good as he is?" Schmidt said. "When their careers are over, they are going to wonder how much they left on the table, how much they left on the field. If only they had choked up with two strikes, spread their stances out. What they are doing now is not great, it is mediocrity."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16659180.htm
    This was in Dayton, was anyone there?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Schmidt criticizes Dunn and Burrell at a Breakfast in Dayton

I remember Schmidt did cut his strikeouts annually to under one hundred a season late in his career while still remaining a homerun hitter. Basically, he changed his approach and stopped uppercutting.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

pot meet kettle.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I don't think he should be naming names and then criticizing them, especially in public.

It's just flat out rude.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    pot meet kettle.
    That was kind of his point.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    pot meet kettle.
    Except Schmidt made the adjustments and cut down on his strikeouts. He struck out 180 times in 1975 but only 84 times in 1986 and 80 times in 1987. I think that is his point. It can be accomplished if the approach is changed, and Schmidt did just that.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Except Schmidt made the adjustments and cut down on his strikeouts. He struck out 180 times in 1975 but only 84 times in 1986 and 80 times in 1987. I think that is his point. It can be accomplished if the approach is changed, and Schmidt did just that.
    But that would take work, maybe Dunn would have to pick up is bat in the offseason, I dont think Dunn is up for that.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Some things are better left unsaid..................

He's right in what he said about Adam Dunn. I cheer for Dunn because he's a Red, but besides the occasional homerun, I would challenge anybody to name a part of his game that's good enough to be a major leaguer.

If Im not mistaken, Schmidt credited Pete for turning his career around.

Schmidt is in the Hall. He can say what he want's to say. He is also 100% right.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Because he's "been there" I think he has every right to criticize power hitting strike out kings. He's got more right to criticize than any of us.

Dunn can improve his game like Mike Schmidt did or he can become Rob Deer, Steve Balboni, Dave Kingman (take your pick). It's Dunn's problem. Not Schmidt's

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Schmidt is in the Hall. He can say what he want's to say. He is also 100% right.
    Thats the way i see it. Schmidt is offering advice that could help Dunn and Burrell, advice he wishes he had received earlier in his career. Maybe its not delivered in the most sensitive manner, but who cares. Point made.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by realistic View Post
    Thats the way i see it. Schmidt is offering advice that could help Dunn and Burrell, advice he wishes he had received earlier in his career. Maybe its not delivered in the most sensitive manner, but who cares. Point made.
    I agree. He didn't say either player "sucked'. He knows from EXPERIENCE what a difference in approach can make. He, like many of us, only want those players to perform better. They are good but they can be better. Reasonable expectation.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I would challenge anybody to name a part of his game that's good enough to be a major leaguer.

This post makes Raisor cry.

Turn Off Ads?