Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ABC developing 'Cavemen' TV series

ABC developing 'Cavemen' TV series

That'll show Geico

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1300&cs=1

Comedy pilot based on Geico ads
    By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Winner for most unusual piece of development this pilot season goes to ABC, which has turned a series of quirky Geico commercials into an actual half-hour comedy project.
    "Cavemen" will revolve around three pre-historic men who must battle prejudice as they attempt to live as normal thirtysomethings in modern Atlanta.

Project, from ABC TV Studio, is penned by Joe Lawson, an advertising copywriter who was behind the "Caveman" ads -- as well as other Geico commercials (think the cockney-speaking Geico gecko, and the reality TV spoof "Tiny House").

Daniel Rappaport, Guymon Cassady, Will Speck and Josh Gordon are exec producers. Speck and Gordon, commercial directors who recently helmed the Will Farrell feature "Blades of Glory," are on board to also direct.

The single-camera laffer pilot is based on the Geico ads that promote the insurance company's Web site as so user-friendly that even "a caveman could do it." The spots follow cavemen in modern settings, reacting with offense to the derogatory slogan. In one, a Geico spokesman apologizes and takes the Neanderthals out to dinner.

Other blurbs include the sensitive, modern cavemen peeved at the offending slogan while encountering Geico ads in everyday life, including the airport.

The caveman commercials were created through the Richmond, Va.-based Martin Agency. Jeff Daniel Phillips and Ben Weber play the cavemen in the Geico spots; no word if they'll make the transformation to the TV project.

Few TV shows have come out of the commercial sphere; more frequently, TV characters live on in 30-second spots long after their shows are canceled (think "ALF").

But it's not without precedence: The 2002 CBS comedy "Baby Bob" revolved around a talking baby character that was first seen in a series of dot.com ads. After the Eye canceled "Baby Bob," the character returned to its commercial roots, spending time as a pitchman (pitchbaby?) for Quizno's Subs.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ABC developing 'Cavemen' TV series

Marshall, Will, and Holly
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Marshall, Will, and Holly
    They still have a website

http://www.landofthelost.com/

I loved Land of the Lost. I'm not sure why.

Bill Laimbeer was a Sleestack.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Bill Laimbeer was a Sleestack.

Still is.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Still is.
    Good point.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    "Cavemen" will revolve around three pre-historic men who must battle prejudice
    Another thread discussing prejudice. It will probably have to be closed.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Man, I love those Geico cavemen. Those are the rare commercials where I will stop what I'm doing and turn up the volume. The actors do a great job with the parts.

I enjoy the ads, but I just don't see how it will be sustainable humor in a full half-hour show.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I enjoy the ads, but I just don't see how it will be sustainable humor in a full half-hour show.
    I bet they can make it work, afterall, we had 6 self absorbed New York 20-somethings on the air for 10 years.

Turns out attempted robbery of Mick Jagger is brilliant.

People wept when a few medicos had to leave Korea.

And how could you forget the show about nothing.

It's amazing what America finds funny.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    I bet they can make it work, afterall, we had 6 self absorbed New York 20-somethings on the air for 10 years.

Turns out attempted robbery of Mick Jagger is brilliant.

People wept when a few medicos had to leave Korea.

And how could you forget the show about nothing.

It's amazing what America finds funny.
    True, I think that this show might be a little bit too gimmicky though.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    True, I think that this show might be a little bit too gimmicky though.
    Yeah, I think the other shows could work off of the ability of people to relate to the characters on some level. On the other hand, I think there are only so many caveman jokes you can make before it gets old.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

For a Level Playing Field

Makes me think of a movie about Cave-People (PC!) that I thought was funny in my younger days. Although that was about Cave-People in their own time. Some might remember the scene where Ringo and his clan accidently stepped in the dinosaur dung!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Makes me think of a movie about Cave-People (PC!) that I thought was funny in my younger days. Although that was about Cave-People in their own time. Some might remember the scene where Ringo and his clan accidently stepped in the dinosaur dung!

Atook alunda Lana.

Turn Off Ads?