Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majewski's Opening Day status iffy

Majewski's Opening Day status iffy

Reds notebook
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. - It's looking more and more as if Gary Majewski will start the season somewhere other than in Cincinnati.

Majewski has accepted that.

"If it takes going to Triple-A on a rehab (stint), so be it," he said Saturday.

Majewski is still rehabbing after a shoulder problem put him on the disabled list last season.

He has yet to throw off the mound.

"I'm told it's a week to 10 days before (he throws) off the mound and does any more than he's doing now," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

Majewski is somewhere between playing catch and long tossing. He threw from 105 feet Saturday.

The build-up once a pitcher is cleared is to throw bullpen sessions every other day for a week or so, face live hitters every other day for a week or so, and then pitch in games.

Majewski won't be throwing off the mound until March 10 at the earliest. That probably isn't going to give him enough time to be ready to break camp with the Reds.

Majewski, a 27-year-old right-hander, came to the Reds in the July 13 trade with the Washington Nationals. He struggled from the time the Reds got him (he had a 12.54 ERA in 11 games before ending up on the disabled list from Aug. 7-31).

His injury led to a major controversy. The Reds claim the Nats withheld the fact that Majewski had a cortisone shot days before the trade and was on anti-inflammatories all season. The club plans to file a grievance over the deal, although a settlement could be reached.

Majewski says he's dealing with the wait well.

"It's not frustrating," he said. "They know what it was. It just takes time to build back up."

LOHSE UPDATE: Right-hander Kyle Lohse said his right hamstring was tight and sore Saturday. He strained it covering first base in the Reds' 5-2 win vs. Minnesota Friday.

"We're taking it day by day," he said. "We'll see how it feels."

HERMANSON PLAN: The Reds will try to have right-hander Dustin Hermanson face hitters in batting practice today.

"We just have a lot going on," Narron said.

E.Z. DOES IT: Right-hander Elizardo Ramirez was good in his spring debut - two innings, no runs, one infield hit - Friday against Minnesota.

Ramirez spent most of last season in the rotation before being shut down with shoulder soreness. He sort of has been overlooked - at least by the media and the fans - going into camp.

"He gave us some really good games last year," Narron said. "He's going to get a chance to pitch here this spring."

Ramirez is only 24, but he has pitched parts of two seasons in the big leagues.

ULTIMATE TRIP: Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. were going on a quick road trip to Columbus Saturday for UFC 68, a mixed-martial arts card. The plan was to fly up after Saturday's game, watch the fights and fly back early this morning - as in 1 or 2 a.m.

Dunn is buddies with Cincinnati middleweight Rich Franklin.

"I talked to him a few days ago," Dunn said. "He's ready."

MORE DUNN: Dunn worked in the offseason with non-roster shortstop Paul Janish.

"He's good," Dunn said. "I was hitting him fungos in the gym. I'm hitting them easy. Then he starts talking stuff. I said, 'All right, I'm hitting ropes.' We're using real baseballs on a hard floor. He just keeps picking them off like it's nothing."

INJURY REPORT: Jeff Conine (back) and Kyle Lohse (hamstring) are among the injured.

SEEN AND HEARD: Jerry Narron will go to Pirate City for the "B" game at 10 a.m. today. "I'm used to it," he said. "I don't think I ever missed a 'B' game as a player - or a trip."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...703040434/1071

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Majewski's Opening Day status iffy

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Reds notebook

"I'm told it's a week to 10 days before (he throws) off the mound and does any more than he's doing now," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.
    Majewski won't be throwing off the mound until March 10 at the earliest. That probably isn't going to give him enough time to be ready to break camp with the Reds.
    Shocking news here!

When they first said he couldn't throw for 4-5 days after his arrival in Florida, I along with probably every else on Redszone knew it would last longer than that. And now, it's going to be a 7-10 days before he throws off the mound. What that statement means to me is we'll see Majic around the All-Star break. I hope I'm wrong because this bullpen really needs him to be healthy. It's just real unfortunate what is happening to him. Hopefully his luck will turn around soon.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

They hand Salmon his slot, and I don't lose one moments rest.

So the big question is, what will be the Reds compensation for damaged goods. I would think offering somebody back to the Reds.

The gift that keeps on giving!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I would think offering somebody back to the Reds.
    Careful what you wish for - they might offer Jimbo.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Man Pills

How long before Krivsky cuts this guy?

Because right now Maj is a constant reminder of Wayne's failure, and if I know guys like Wayne (and I do), any emblem of failure (fair or unfair) is anathema to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

Because right now Maj is a constant reminder of Wayne's failure, and if I know guys like Wayne (and I do), any emblem of failure (fair or unfair) is anathema to have around.

At least a year. Majewski isn't even arb eligible yet. Why would they cut a guy that's injured that they just went out and traded for last year? Maybe the folks on RZ don't think he's any good but obviously WK thinks he has some value. As long as his injuries aren't career threatening he'll be around, perhaps at AAA though.

Unless, of course, he gets healthy and repeats last falls performance.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

On the plus side, Majewski still makes less money than Lopez...or whatever that rationale is.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The gift that keeps on giving!
    Hey now...

We still have Brey

Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Hmmm. Perhaps the REDS should start a new trend... remember the new trend thing in the minors: always take the 1st pitch, never pitch more than 3 innings, etc.

Whenever a guy who had the abilities to make it to the big leagues gets hurt... cut him! Doesn't matter how old he is, doesn't matter how good he might be when healthy, doesn't matter how long he has been hurt. Hurt? CUT! The REDS, being a large market team, can afford to pay guys who no longer are with the team; therefore, that is not a concern.

This new trend would have made a big diffrence in the past 2 years:
    * Pena, cut (no Arroyo)! Aurilia, cut! Freel, cut! Griffey, cut! LaRue, cut! Milton, cut (oops)! Belisle, cut! Encarnacion, cut! D. Ross, cut! Ramirez, cut!

I don't like the idea of a GM's ego getting in the way of using sound judgment. Wayne Ginzu sounds better than Wayne Krivsky...

Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Reds notebook

SARASOTA, Fla. - It's looking more and more as if Gary Majewski will start the season somewhere other than in Cincinnati.

Majewski has accepted that.

"If it takes going to Triple-A on a rehab (stint), so be it," he said Saturday.

Majewski is still rehabbing after a shoulder problem put him on the disabled list last season.

Majewski is somewhere between playing catch and long tossing. He threw from 105 feet Saturday.

The build-up once a pitcher is cleared is to throw bullpen sessions every other day for a week or so, face live hitters every other day for a week or so, and then pitch in games.

Majewski, a 27-year-old right-hander, came to the Reds in the July 13 trade with the Washington Nationals. He struggled from the time the Reds got him (he had a 12.54 ERA in 11 games before ending up on the disabled list from Aug. 7-31).

His injury led to a major controversy. The Reds claim the Nats withheld the fact that Majewski had a cortisone shot days before the trade and was on anti-inflammatories all season. The club plans to file a grievance over the deal, although a settlement could be reached.

Majewski says he's dealing with the wait well.

"It's not frustrating," he said. "They know what it was. It just takes time to build back up."

LOHSE UPDATE: Right-hander Kyle Lohse said his right hamstring was tight and sore Saturday. He strained it covering first base in the Reds' 5-2 win vs. Minnesota Friday.

"We're taking it day by day," he said. "We'll see how it feels."

HERMANSON PLAN: The Reds will try to have right-hander Dustin Hermanson face hitters in batting practice today.

"We just have a lot going on," Narron said.

E.Z. DOES IT: Right-hander Elizardo Ramirez was good in his spring debut - two innings, no runs, one infield hit - Friday against Minnesota.

Ramirez spent most of last season in the rotation before being shut down with shoulder soreness. He sort of has been overlooked - at least by the media and the fans - going into camp.

"He gave us some really good games last year," Narron said. "He's going to get a chance to pitch here this spring."

Ramirez is only 24, but he has pitched parts of two seasons in the big leagues.

ULTIMATE TRIP: Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. were going on a quick road trip to Columbus Saturday for UFC 68, a mixed-martial arts card. The plan was to fly up after Saturday's game, watch the fights and fly back early this morning - as in 1 or 2 a.m.

Dunn is buddies with Cincinnati middleweight Rich Franklin.

"I talked to him a few days ago," Dunn said. "He's ready."

MORE DUNN: Dunn worked in the offseason with non-roster shortstop Paul Janish.

"He's good," Dunn said. "I was hitting him fungos in the gym. I'm hitting them easy. Then he starts talking stuff. I said, 'All right, I'm hitting ropes.' We're using real baseballs on a hard floor. He just keeps picking them off like it's nothing."

INJURY REPORT: Jeff Conine (back) and Kyle Lohse (hamstring) are among the injured.

SEEN AND HEARD: Jerry Narron will go to Pirate City for the "B" game at 10 a.m. today. "I'm used to it," he said. "I don't think I ever missed a 'B' game as a player - or a trip."

He's the Chris Perry of the Reds. Can't stay healthy, but has the talent.

the sad thing is even the pirate anouncers today said he was damaged goods.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I'm surprised Adam Dunn knows who Paul Janish is, let alone hit fungos to him.

Hey Jimbo,where's our other player,since you shanghai'd Krivsky?Oh wait,Wayno's ambulance chasers are working on that one.

Turn Off Ads?